Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Brake pins - HOW MUCH!!!!  (Read 5494 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Brake pins - HOW MUCH!!!!
    on: Sep 10, 2017, 02.09 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 02.09 pm
    Horrible day here today, rain hasn't stopped.. So I stripped the brakes

Rear brake came apart simply enough and pads etc still have plenty life, quick clean and re assemble

Then the front, 2 pads still serviceable, one about half way but one almost at the metal... I was expecting this as have read about the linked brakes wearing out one set.. who's idea was that..

Brakes are expensive enough without throwing away part worn pads.... any way. The other problem was the pins... badly grooved. Had a quick look on W.O.T. over £50 for 4?

So a total of £166 to do your own brakes... don't want to ask what it costs to get the dealer to do it..

So anyway, anyone used aftermarket pads?

Looking at EBC pads at £37 per caliper
    of Goldfren @ £14 per caliper

Do you get what you pay for? The ones in just now are Nissin so I assume that's genuine Triumph... work fine, wouldn't want any loss in performance....

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Re: Brake pins - HOW MUCH!!!!
    Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2017, 02.17 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 02.17 pm
    update... i just looked at stainless pins, the pic looks as it they have a step / reduced centre portion.. do the originals have this also, that could be what I'm seeing as grooving. Maybe mine are serviceable..

• Offline tommym

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline tommym

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: trophy
    • City / Town: Halstead
    Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2017, 04.04 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 04.04 pm
    gavj hello. brake pins are fine mine are the same its not wear, just replaced my pads front and rear with genuine triumph parts made in japan nissin!! in triumph boxes £113 why  use aftermarket ?? regards.tommym

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2017, 04.33 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 04.33 pm
    cheers tommym

My pins are worn, just probably not as bad as it first appeared, they have the groove but it's not symmetrical or as defined as it looks in photos I can find.

World of triumph want over £150 for the three calipers worth of pads.... did you buy at your local dealer over the counter? What mileage did you get from your last set?

EBC pads are nearly half the cost of triumph...... I have used these before on other bikes, in fact, I can't remember buying any original manufacturer's pads in the last 30 years.

I only had one bad experience, bought a set for my 1991 900 trophy which just didn't work in the wet  :005: but I can't remember what make they were... Im thinking Vesrah but can't be sure. I checked Brembo's website but it doesn't look as if they make for our bike, I liked them on a previous Yamaha

There is a Suzuki and a Yamaha as far as I can see that use the same pad, so there should be a few manufacturers making these.

• Offline tommym

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline tommym

• Trophy Member
    Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2017, 06.15 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 06.15 pm
    gavj  you must have lots of miles to wear those pins out they should last years!!! they have'nt got to do a huge amount of work mine are untouched by wear but you can see they are not uniform in shape some pads were worn much lower than others, linked brakes i pumped up the lever and still lower right hand pair not touching disc i thought [i wonder] pumped rear brake that did the trick didnt know about the brakes being linked what a plum!! i bought the front  pads off e bay genuine triumph£75 rear off a triumph dealer around here £38 the brakes have a lot more bite in them with new pads.bike has 7.500 miles on it, regards.tommym

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2017, 06.36 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 06.36 pm
    mines at 20k, ive only had it for about 1k, pins looked corroded, like you say they don't need to do much but I have found that if you clean them too vigorously, ie with wire brush or emery paper you take the anodised coating off, then all hell breaks loose with them.... I think the brake dust is corrosive along with moisture etc..

Ill probably get another term out of them, then they will need replaced.....

Someone out there must have used aftermarket pads... any opinions? / recommendations?  :002:

• Offline tommym

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline tommym

• Trophy Member
    Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2017, 07.18 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 07.18 pm
    gavj rumour has it that the  fjr1300 has the same caliper on some years as well as four pads which are the same size .i have a 2014 fjr the pads are the same pins are different on that year but may be not all, been making that bike for a hundred years you get were i am going with this?? regards.tommym

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2017, 08.34 pm
    Sep 10, 2017, 08.34 pm
    Last time I used EBC pads on a bike were many years ago, I found that they eat through the disks pretty quickly, couldn't fault their stopping power though.

tweedy-bunch