Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy vs Pan.  (Read 8202 times)

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Honda VFR 1200
  • City / Town: Wolverhampton
Trophy vs Pan.
« on: June 27, 2013, 05:24:46 PM »
Has anyone come from the Honda ST1300 to the Trophy?

If so - what are your findings?

Thanks.

Offline DVP

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Bradford
Re: Trophy vs Pan.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
I had an st for seven years. The tt is over 30kg lighter, faster acceleration, lighter steering, mpg and comfort about the same. The pan had better brakes, easier to keep clean, easier to handle in crosswinds, pillion wise more comfortable. Cockpit and under seat storage better. Instruments dated.          :152:

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »
Cheers for that. Just curious about which is the more dynamic bike. Looks like the TT wins out in that respect..

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
I didn't come directly from a Pan but had one several years ago. In my opinion the Trophy is a larger bike with more space and legroom for both rider and passenger. The Pan has a more forward inclined riding position and puts more weight on the wrists. I had to fit risers which remedied the situation a bit. The Triumph's suspension is better and the handling way better. The seats are more comfortable on the Triumph. The lights on the Trophy are about the best I've had on any bike. The info screen couldn't be read in sunlight on the Pan and the clutch was so heavy that I would be in agony after intense use. Then of course the Pan didn't have cruise control, electronic suspension or radio. Plus there was that annoying whine al the time. The Triumph makes a proper motorbike sound!

On the plus, I agree that the Pan was easier to keep clean and handled cross-winds better. I think it looked better too because the panniers were better integrated. And - it was bulletproof.
Caoimhín

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2013
  • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
I had a 1300 Pan for 9 years before buying the Trophy.  I agree with all the previous comments and have two more to add: 

1.  crash protection.  In the 9 years of Pan ownership I had two very low speed drops. On both occasions the only damage was to the engine bar covers, if memory serves me correctly they were about £25 to replace, they even saved the panniers. In contrast, the Trophy has no crash protection. After two days of Trophy ownership I had a very low speed drop, a number of panels were damaged, including the pannier cover. Replacement panels and a set of R&G engine bars cost several hundred pounds.  I regard this as a significant design flaw.

2. storage. The Pan had two glove storage boxes, one either side of the rider, the Trophy has only one.

Moans aside, the Trophy is a great bike and I don't regret changing.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
Cannot tell for the ST1300, however until I badly crashed in a car (hence the Trophy in my garage now) I used to ride a ST1100.
+ for the Trophy: lively engine, more fun to ride, more comfortable (at least that's what the Boss contends), lighter to manoeuver.
+ for the ST: panniers easier to fill, more luggage capacity, easier to get down from the center stand, not so prone to get dirty under wet weather

Everything considered I wish Triumph came up with the Trophy much earlier........
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Paulvt1

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 04:05:08 PM »
Looks like the deal for a 2012 SE will be thrashed out on Tuesday. Have to say i'm looking forward to it..

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
Well whatever deal you strike Paul, it will be a great one! Because you will have a fantastic Trophy SE as a result! Enjoy the haggling and even more enjoy the ride!

:002: :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧