Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Thought it was a Bluetooth problem  (Read 3456 times)

• Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro  ‐    315
    • Topic Author

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Quebec
    Thought it was a Bluetooth problem
    on: Sep 12, 2017, 11.33 pm
    Sep 12, 2017, 11.33 pm
    Like many people here I thought I had a Bluetooth drop out problem . My problem/ dropout seems to get worst with time ( about 32 on a 20 km ride )  :157: :191: after trying a few things I decided to try ruling out the source of my problems by....

moving modules, having XM resending signal, updating Sena, changing Sena 20S unit, swapping Sena 20s speakers , changing set up with TT radio VS GPS VS Sena etc etc   , all without success then it occurred to me , all that  time I was listening to the TT XM radio with my Sena 20S but basically never with the bike's speakers . So today I did and I had nearly as many " dropouts" with the external speakers therefore it appears to me NOT a bluetooth problem , am I correct to say so!!??  :183:

If I'm right and it's not a bluetooth problem then there is something wrong with the radio itself or the XM antenna!! Now how can I check for example if the XM antenna cable is loose !? Is it hardwired to the radio unit ? Or maybe its  hardwired to the unit itself but then that wire comes up to the antenna  to be connected and therefore can become loose and cause an intermittent loss of reception . If so , how can we access that point to check it out and correct it if needed!?

I hope I'm making sense , thank you

Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
    Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
    Bmw K1600GTL 2012
    Triumph Trophy SE 2014

• Offline Lamin

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline Lamin

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: SE 1200
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Re: Thought it was a Bluetooth problem
    Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2017, 11.52 pm
    Sep 12, 2017, 11.52 pm
    ooo i feel a coconut comming on, I know that doesn't help, but I'm sure he may......

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    517

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01.04 am
    Sep 13, 2017, 01.04 am
    You are making sense.  How about also trying it with FM and an Ipod on the speakers.

I seem to have good days and bad days.  I still feel it is bluetooth and probably my helmet.  Your test with the speakers would be interesting.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Antioch
    Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2017, 01.16 am
    Sep 13, 2017, 01.16 am
    I find my XM consistently drops under overpasses and other similar freeway structures. As atrophy said, try it with an iPod. I've yet to have any audio drops off my iPod with either the bike speakers or the Sena (10R) speakers.

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2017, 06.36 am
    Sep 13, 2017, 06.36 am
    I live in an area that drops both FM and Satellite signal quite constantly.   On speakers and Bluetooth alike. 
    The Beast

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    599

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2017, 12.22 pm
    Sep 13, 2017, 12.22 pm
    I, too, have suspected that the XM radio drops are not a bluetooth issue.  If it were bluetooth, my Cardo Packtalk would respond by announcing "device disconnected" but it doesn't.  I haven't confirmed but I think the XM radio drops when using the TT speakers as well.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 Iron Butt Rally, 2022 LDX Rally)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 Iron Butt Rally)
    IBA #609

• Offline PhilInAthens   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    295

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2017, 04.17 pm
    Sep 16, 2017, 04.17 pm
    I have concluded this is NOT a bluetooth problem nor is it related to any of the modes (FM, USB input, XM, etc.) of audio input. I have tested/trialed/updated everything I could think of and have concluded it is the audio module proper.  As I know the tear down to get to it, and the send back and forth to Kentucky for rebuild will take time, I've decided this will be a winter layup project.

That said, any how-to pointers/pictures on doing the tear down would be deeply appreciated.  :169:

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2017, 05.33 pm
    Sep 16, 2017, 05.33 pm
    *Originally Posted by BigPoppa [+]
    I find my XM consistently drops under overpasses and other similar freeway structures. As atrophy said, try it with an iPod. I've yet to have any audio drops off my iPod with either the bike speakers or the Sena (10R) speakers.

XM is a line-of-sight signal - anytime something blocks the satellite signal path, overpasses, mass of wet leaves, etc.  you'll have loss of audio.  Apparently the buffering scheme was changed as well and not for the better.  And finally, there's some suggestion that T-Mobile Cell towers are interfering with the signal.   :002:
    Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644