Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Immobiliser Fault  (Read 7704 times)

• Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro  ‐    222
    • Topic Author

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Bradford
    Immobiliser Fault
    on: Sep 13, 2017, 07.50 pm
    Sep 13, 2017, 07.50 pm
    My Trophy broke down at the services after I had stopped for a few minutes. The dashboard lit up but the bike wouldn't start. There red immobiliser light was on constantly and I had to be recovered. The dealer says the immobiliser ECU is faulty and wants 804.00 for a replacement.
    Does anyone know if it can be removed or disabled. The trophy is only 4 years old with 17,000 miles on the clock.
    Has this happened to anyone else?
    Might as well as wish we had.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Immobiliser Fault
    Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2017, 09.13 pm
    Sep 13, 2017, 09.13 pm
    The Trophy has a combined Immobiliser and TPMS ECU.

Without studying the wiring diagram in detail I think it would be quite difficult
    to bypass the Immobilser - the whole idea of it is that it is a Security device
    to prevent the engine from being started in an unauthorised way.

Obviously your 4 year old Trophy is out of Warranty,
    but at 4 years old such a failure "should" not happen,
    and "should" last for the lifetime of the bike.

It brings into quetion whether UK Consumer Protection Laws might cover this,
    where purchased "Goods" should be of a suitable quality to last a reasonable time -
    all subjective phrases of course, but generally 6 years is accepted as a "reasonable time".

I would contact Triumph directly, ( email after.sales@triumph.co.uk )
    explain the problem which appears to be a very rare occurrence
    ( I can't recall anyone else on the Forum having this problem )
    to ask what they can do to help in the circumstances.

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.02 pm by Coconut

• Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro  ‐    222
    • Topic Author

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Bradford
    Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2017, 02.03 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 02.03 pm
    This is the reply from the after sales guy.

Dear Mr Whittlestone.

Thank you for your email.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing an issue with the immobiliser.

I'm afraid it is not possible to bypass it, it is an integral part of the EFI system.

I have looked into your request for assistance with the repair, unfortunately due to the age of the machine and lack of service history, Triumph would not be able to afford you any goodwill, sorry.

Best regards
    Peter Clarke
    Senior Warranty Co-ordinator. 

I'm not sure what he means by 'lack of service history' as the bike has been serviced by the dealer. I've replied to to him asking for clarification.
    Might as well as wish we had.

• Offline gfxmonkey   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    562

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TROPHY SE
    • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
    Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2017, 02.09 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 02.09 pm
    Thats pants, as its not fit for purpose. You should strenouesly push your case with Triumph and your local dealer in my opinion!!!!

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2017, 02.22 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 02.22 pm
     :233:  You know that's a crock of you know what by the dealer!!  Triumph should step up and as Coconut stated the laws in the UK should step in to see that your bike is repaired especially since this part should last the lifetime of the bike.  I am so sorry for your experience!!  I want to cheer you up in telling you that I dropped my brand new bike in the first two days and now have a $1600 bill to put it back to like new condition.  You see, I decided I could ride after not driving or riding anything after 4 months recovering from a brain injury of course caused by riding a bike! duh!! Just call me crash  :745:
    I hope that Triumph helps you out!
    Best Wishes,
    Gary

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2017, 03.07 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 03.07 pm
    Davidw3d,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

I am an old guy who has over a long and modest life encountered many items that did not function and required that I fix them.  The lesson I learned, was not to assume anything.  Given that lesson, I offer the following (without taking my bike apart to see how any of this would be accomplished):

1.  It appears from the handbook that there are three major components to the immobilizer system, the key, the antenna (which is the ignition switch and associated wire), and the ECU.

2.  I would start with the cheapest fix first, that would be verify the continuity between the antenna (ignition switch) and the ECU. (Page 10.93 of the repair manual may address this, fault P1650, page 10.94 fault P1508)

3.  Next, I would verify that the key you are using is still functioning properly, if you have a second key, but not tried it, that might be the first step. (Please do not take this as an insult, but rather a requirement of my lesson learned.) (Also, see manual Page 10.118 for key pairing issues)

4.  Last, I suspect this immobilizer in the ECU interrupts or allows a pathway for current or ground.  That being said, I suspect someone much smarter than me could figure out how to by-pass it by jumping a few of the wires.  That, of course, would disable the security of the immobilizer, but it would get your bike running a lot cheaper.

I suspect triumph will not share the functioning of the immobilizer circuit but I bet some smart members of this forum can figure it out.

I guess one more option is Ebay, there are a couple ECUs for sale there, one claiming to be new.  I am not sure how they are programmed to a particular key, so be prepared with that information before you leap, including maybe negotiating with your dealer to install it and match the keys. (See manual 10.131)

I offer these ideas because I have not read about this issue presenting on this forum before, and given that, I would be suspect of your ECU being the first to go given the mileage and experience of the members here.

Best of Luck
    ZShyster
    Last Edit: Sep 14, 2017, 03.15 pm by ZShyster

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05.48 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 05.48 pm
    The reply by ZShyster prompted me to ask :

What, if any, Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC's ) are stored on your Trophy ?

See this Topic for details on : Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

Scroll to Reply #8, where you will find instructions on how to display any DTC's
    on your Instrument Panel, and at the end of that Post you will find a downloadable
    document listing all the Codes and their meanings.

There is also a slim chance that the ECU may not be faulty at all,
    but that you have suffered from a problem that has affected some Trophy Owners
    which can manifest itself in some unusual "faults", and which is due to a breakage,
    or shorting out of wires at the base of the Ignition switch -
    due to tight wiring that gets "stretched" when the handlebars are turned fully to one side.

See this Topic : Ignition Switch Wiring Failures

That is certainly worth investigating if your Dealer has not already done so,
    as it is a "known issue" and Triumph might agree to repair this outside the warranty period,
    as they have done so for other Owners !

Cheers,

Last Edit: Mar 28, 2020, 08.01 pm by Coconut

• Online johnbut   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    216

Online johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: triumph trophy
    • City / Town: East Yorkshire
    Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2017, 06.18 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 06.18 pm
    Was your bike subject to the ecu recall in late 2013? If so was it done? If not might be worth checking if it fell within the vin range.

tweedy-bunch