Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Helmets and Wind Noise?  (Read 7422 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Helmets and Wind Noise?
    on: Sep 14, 2017, 02.33 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 02.33 pm
    I have a question!  I see so many remarks about how a helmet is loud this and quiet that and there is always talk about wind noise.  I guess from flying so many years and listening to engine noise I really don't know or realize what wind noise is.  I have a relatively cheap but very safe helmet (HJC IS-17 with a 5 star Sharp's rating) that I guess wind noise doesn't really affect me.  I do plan to purchase a Sena 20S for my helmet for a Christmas present.  Maybe then? I will know what wind noise is like.  Also, I see remarks about wearing ear plugs and again to me the bike is quiet after flying aircraft.  I guess this is what you get used to?  Any comments about wind noise, helmets and how it affects you?
    Best Wishes!
    Gary

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    235

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Re: Helmets and Wind Noise?
    Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05.28 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 05.28 pm
    Oklahoma is a very windy state so when you add in the speed when you are riding then you can get a lot of sound which can be tiring after a while.  I can ride with just my helmet (Shoei Qwest) and be okay but if I can going to spend a lot of time on the highway I will wear some ear plugs as well.  I have the Sena20s system in my helmet and I can hear the music fairly well with the ear plugs in.  I confess to wishing I could turn up the volume another 10% or so.

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05.36 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 05.36 pm
    Boomer Sooners, Boomer Sooners, Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die I'll be Sooner Dead.  Oklahoma, OKU!!

My folks are from OKC.  Know well where Enid is located.  Thanks for the input on the Senas.  I do want something I can hear my GPS and music on. 

Best Wishes from a fellow Okie!
    Gary

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2017, 05.49 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 05.49 pm
    I have a box of these next to my helmet at home. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Meteors-Earplugs-Style-Uncorded-pair/dp/B001UI6JIS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1505407344&sr=8-3&keywords=moldex+meteors
    They work for me.  The life I have led to this point has not been kind to my hearing.  Anything to keep what I have left is a priority for me.  Can still hear the radio,  emergency sirens and the like.  Don't ride without them anymore.
    The Beast

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2017, 06.49 pm
    Sep 14, 2017, 06.49 pm
    *Originally Posted by GaryWWhite [+]
    I have a question!  I see so many remarks about how a helmet is loud this and quiet that and there is always talk about wind noise.  I guess from flying so many years and listening to engine noise I really don't know or realize what wind noise is.  I have a relatively cheap but very safe helmet (HJC IS-17 with a 5 star Sharp's rating) that I guess wind noise doesn't really affect me.  I do plan to purchase a Sena 20S for my helmet for a Christmas present.  Maybe then? I will know what wind noise is like.  Also, I see remarks about wearing ear plugs and again to me the bike is quiet after flying aircraft.  I guess this is what you get used to?  Any comments about wind noise, helmets and how it affects you?
    Best Wishes!
    Gary

Gary, there are many things to consider when shopping for helmets.  Generally, a race type helmet or any helmet that is going to vent well will allow more air into the shell and will be more noisy. The shape and number of vent inlets are also a consideration when it comes to noise. Also, a modular helmet can produce more wind noise due to the seams of the chin bar mechanism. A well engineered modular will be much more quiet over one that is cheap or poorly engineered.  I have 4 different Shoei Helmets and all have different levels of wind noise that they produce.

It would be great if helmet makers would have a means to test and publish acoustic characteristics and performance of their products.   
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2017, 12.43 am
    Sep 16, 2017, 12.43 am
    As said, more air = more noise, no way around it.

I have a Sena 20s also, and I never ride without ear plugs. I have Tinnitus and I don't want it to get worse. It's already pretty close to being terrible.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2017, 01.16 am
    Sep 16, 2017, 01.16 am
    Hey Bob,

I think I'm going to need ear plugs too! My wife is constantly on my case about my hearing.  Thank goodness no tinnitus yet.  I found some on Revzilla said to block out the noise but would allow normal conversation.  Might go with those.  I'm really excited about the Sean 20s as it will allow me to listen to my I-Tunes, XM Sirius and NAV directions.  I really think the TTSE is great to have XM Sirius as I hate disc jockeys and commercials.

My Best,
    Gary

• Offline Xsv   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    477

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
    • City / Town: Washington State
    Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2017, 03.26 am
    Sep 16, 2017, 03.26 am
    *Originally Posted by GaryWWhite [+]
    I have a question!  I see so many remarks about how a helmet is loud this and quiet that and there is always talk about wind noise.  I guess from flying so many years and listening to engine noise I really don't know or realize what wind noise is.  I have a relatively cheap but very safe helmet (HJC IS-17 with a 5 star Sharp's rating) that I guess wind noise doesn't really affect me.  I do plan to purchase a Sena 20S for my helmet for a Christmas present.  Maybe then? I will know what wind noise is like.  Also, I see remarks about wearing ear plugs and again to me the bike is quiet after flying aircraft.  I guess this is what you get used to?  Any comments about wind noise, helmets and how it affects you? Best Wishes!
    Gary

I am using a HJC IS-16 with a sena 20s.  Instead of using the speakers I am using noise isolating earbuds.  Works great.  The tips do break down after a while, buy the 3 or 5 pack!  I use the below tips with https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003S3RFIQ

http://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/

tweedy-bunch