Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Install a hydration bladder in a factory tank bag  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Lunar Silver SE
  • City / Town: Chicago area
HOW TO: Install a hydration bladder in a factory tank bag
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »
If you've ever used a Nelson-Rigg CL-2020, or similar tank bag with a provision for a hydration bladder, you know how nice it is to have a cool drink easily accessible while you ride. Since their tank bag doesn't work on the Trophy, and I had a brand new insulated hydration bladder just sitting there, I decided to figure out how to use it in the Triumph tank bag. I looked around quite a bit for a grommet similar to the one used in the CL-2020 bag, and even reached out to them to see if I could buy one. They responded that they get the bags with them already installed, so that was a dead end. I finally found this one on both Amazon and NewEgg, that looked like it would fit the bill:

Grommet: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9F943Y0392

Hydration bladder: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00437ZFLU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Drinking tube retainer: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXSG6IB/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After an initial pilot hole was drilled, I slowly enlarged it using a step drill bit, up to roughly 25mm (the size of the grommet inside the flanges). I also trimmed some of the excess material away with an X-ACTO knife. I then slowly worked the grommet into place, pulling the flange out so it fit nicely all the way around the hole. I thought about securing it with silicone or other type of adhesive, but I think it's a tight enough fit I won't have to do anything else. The drinking tube retainer is attached using simple Scotch brand Extreme Fasteners, but I'll probably have someone sew it onto the fabric portion of the tank bag instead.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:57:48 PM by explor202 »

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO: Install a hydration bladder in a factory tank bag
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »
Here's a few more pics
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:25:13 PM by explor202 »

Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 trophy se
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »
Where did you get the bladder?

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Xhdracer [+]
Where did you get the bladder?

The link for it is in the first post.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:55:08 PM by explor202 »

Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 trophy se
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:28:14 AM »
I should have been a little more observant.  :087:

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
No worries, I forgot to add some space between the links so they stood out better  :006:

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 03:03:10 AM »
An excellent series of photos and a damn good idea. Getting the back pack containing a drink bladder off the shoulders does away with the problem of shoulder pain over a looooooong ride. Only thing I don't like is having water in with all my other assorted rubbish that I carry in my tank bag. Wallet, ID., ear plugs, and more stuff than most women have in their handbags. There, I've admitted to carrying to much sh.t. :192:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline Paul

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 03:13:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by HACKLE [+]
Only thing I don't like is having water in with all my other assorted rubbish that I carry in my tank bag. Wallet, ID., ear plugs, and more stuff than most women have in their handbags. There, I've admitted to carrying to much sh.t. :192:

Maybe you need to ride with a top case more often  :745:

As far as tank bag content though, I agree and that's why I chose to put mine under the liner of the tank bag. That way if something should happen and it leaks, everything on top of it should stay dry. I used it today and I'm happy with the results. The water stayed nice and cool (except for the exposed section of drinking tube), and there were minimal issues getting the full length of tubing to come out of the bag.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:23:43 AM by explor202 »