Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Planning a big Trip - UK - Katsula, Finland  (Read 2846 times)

• Offline threeup   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE - Black
    • City / Town: Nantwich
    Planning a big Trip - UK - Katsula, Finland
    on: Sep 21, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Sep 21, 2017, 09.28 pm
    Giving myself plenty of time to plan this - I am hoping to visit some friends in Katsula, Finland next summer. Not sure which way to go at the moment, but a circuit of the Baltic is a real possibility

Any one done this?
    Any useful locations to know about in Germany, Poland, Estonia, Lithuania, Sweden, Finland. If I just to a there and back it will be a 4000 miler, but if I do the whole scandinavian thing and include Norway it will be much further. Perhaps keeping me away longer than I want.

There are some key ferries to be used to make it work. One enables me to avoid Russia. I would live to include Russia and St Petersburg, but initial investigation of visas etc makes it seem a step too far
    Now got Black TTSE
    Used to have Pre-Launch Trophy - lowest recorded Trophy VIN
    Why Threeup? Me, SWMBO and her bear (Fredbear)

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Re: Planning a big Trip - UK - Katsula, Finland
    Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2017, 08.52 am
    Sep 22, 2017, 08.52 am
    Sounds like a great trip, how long do plan on booking holiday from work?
    Wife & I are toying with the idea of getting our motor home to Sweden one year, we figure that a month off work would be needed. We would be gone from mid September to mid October, wife is hoping to see the Northern lights. If we left any later we'd need studded tyres by law etc,......I'm guessing that going by bike then would be impossible.

• Offline threeup   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09.00 am
    Sep 22, 2017, 09.00 am
    Work?? Work?? what is that?

Seriously, apart from my work with charities (http://www.fredplus.co.uk/ I have retired (though it does not always feel like it!

Recently my wife passed away which has left a big hole in my time as we were keen competitive ballroom dancers and that with the associated practice and coaching took up a lot of time

How long?? at the moment the trip is panning out at 3-5 weeks depending on more factors than I can shake a stick at which is why I have started planning it now. It even looks as though I will have to consider getting new tyres part way round if I take the "longer" route. As you observe I am limited on when I can go if I want to avoid winter tyres
    Now got Black TTSE

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2017, 09.35 am
    Sep 22, 2017, 09.35 am
    Sorry to hear of your wife passing, I dread to think of how one even begins to cope with that loss.

Work certainly gets in the way but I can understand that one needs some sort of routine to replace that otherwise the days would drag and boredom would take over.
    Making plans, doing trips etc, best of luck to you.

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2017, 01.19 am
    Sep 23, 2017, 01.19 am
    I was in finland a couple of months ago for the racing in imatra. Crossed from hull to rotterdam then north through germany, denmark and east coast of Sweden to arctic circle, then south east to imatra. Helsinki to estonia where I called to see joeys memorial in tallin. South through latvia and lithuania and into poland and across to chernobyl. Would recommend  elblag canal and the wolfs lair In poland. Former russian states are good though flat, people are great and all eastern euoropean countries are cheap. Never been to russia due to visa requirements. Scandinavia is expensive but the stuggas (camping huts) are cheap and cheerful. Expect to pay 90 or so euros for a hotel in Finland a nd sweden for one night unless you cann get a hostel. Also went to nordkapp in 2013 and 14 and that is expensive!
    pm me if you need more details but away from my maps at the minute

• Offline threeup   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    288
    • Topic Author

Offline threeup

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2017, 08.04 am
    Sep 23, 2017, 08.04 am
    Sounds really helpful, thanks
    Now got Black TTSE

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2017, 12.32 pm
    Sep 23, 2017, 12.32 pm
    Just a thought and saying this without any knowledge of your previous touring experience. I regularly do 6000 to 7000 mile tours with a couple of 10ks thrown in on my trophy. The  riding is different to a 200 mile day at home with friends where you stop and start a lot, brake and maybe accelerate hard. You will find it is a more gentle ride where you will probably do up to a tankfull without stopping, with little or no speed changes, ie it will be a "gentle bimble" for the most part. Particularly in norway where any speeding fine is crippling. The scenery will also keep your speed down. In view of this, you will probably get over 10,000 miles from your tyres, but if you dont, they are very expensive in scandanavia. My friend went with us to nordkapp and he was on a 250cc yamaha scooter which needed a tyre after 4000 mls. 40 quid in uk, 130 in norway. Ouch!

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2017, 01.48 pm
    Sep 23, 2017, 01.48 pm
     :005: :087: Blows my mind you high mileage riders!  I wouldn't drive that far in a cage!!
    Also, I feel that I would be running my bike into the ground.  I congratulate you on your iron butts.  I couldn't do it!

Best Wishes!
    Gary

tweedy-bunch