Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Decisions, Decisions  (Read 7143 times)

• Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Outside ATL
    Decisions, Decisions
    on: Sep 24, 2017, 02.22 pm
    Sep 24, 2017, 02.22 pm
    Trying to pull the trigger on a new Trophy but need a little help getting over the hump.  I have a 2012 BMW K1600GTL which, by many, is considered the summit in luxury sports touring bikes.  It has the standard clunky transmission, the drive train lash and all of the other warts that are inherent in this bike.  Still a great bike.  But I have a chance to sell this and use the funds for a Trophy and another bike.  Most people go up to a Trophy and I just want to make sure I am not going down to a Trophy.  Anybody out there made the move from a GTL to a Trophy?  And your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

• Offline karl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    317

Offline karl

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Hampden, MA
    Re: Decisions, Decisions
    Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03.01 pm
    Sep 24, 2017, 03.01 pm
    Your answer is a ride away. That will be all the  :183: you will need.
    The Beast

• Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Sep 24, 2017, 03.47 pm
    Sep 24, 2017, 03.47 pm
    I did.  I went for a test ride.  I got off the K1600 and got on a new Trophy.  Not a good way to compare.  Much more compact riding style.  Legs were cramped and power was considerably less than the BMW.  Both things I can deal with.  Looking for why you like the Trophy.  Tangible things.

• Offline dehaile

• Trophy Member  ‐    11

Offline dehaile

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: WHITEHOUSE
    Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08.32 pm
    Sep 24, 2017, 08.32 pm
    I don't think you can have this conversation without mentioning the now "due to discounts" , huge difference in price between the two bikes.  I have spent quite a few miles on my best friends K1600GT and love the bike.  I can afford the K1600 but at 10k difference in price, it was a no brainer for me.   I was surprised by how good the low end power of the TTSE as well as the handling, sound system, which are all very good.  The weight difference is also a huge plus in favor of the TTSE.  I don't feel like I am missing anything with the TTSE. 
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE, Black

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2017, 09.37 pm
    Sep 24, 2017, 09.37 pm
    Throwing my 2 cents into the fray!  The BMW K1600GTL compared to the Trophy SE is not a fair comparison.  These two bikes are completely different excluding that they are sport tourers.  I came from riding Harley's and looked at the model described and the 1200cc baby brother which is more like the Trophy. I was looking for bang for the buck, quality and dependability.  The BMW I recall in either iteration was certainly more expensive and seemed like it did not offer any more features then the Triumph.  I kept hearing comments about the transmission and call backs on the BMW's.  For what they wanted in the price difference of approximately $10K I was sold on the Trophy all the way. Actually, my choice was between a HD Road King and the Trophy and not the BMW.  The Trophy beat out the HD in all aspects except re-saleability.  Since I am 67 this will probably be my last bike and I wanted something that was quieter, offered more comfort and more features.  The only thing that came up was the fact that this was the last year of production for the TTSE.  Coconut shared in one of his posts that Triumph would be making parts for the next 12 years for this bike.  This would surpass my age quite nicely and if I could still ride I could get a different motorcycle.  I don't think you could do better getting a Trophy.  It is a wonderful machine.

Best Regards,
    Gary

• Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6
    • Topic Author

Offline HOLABIRD

• Trophy Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2017, 02.06 am
    Sep 25, 2017, 02.06 am
    I am not discounting the fact that the Trophy is a great bike.  I would not be considering it if it wasn't.  If I had to go buy one right now it would be the Trophy because of what they are selling for.  You cant beat it.  But I own a K1600GTL.  I don't have to go out and buy one.  After riding them back to back, the K bike is a better bike.  I was considering selling the K bike and buying a Trophy but have decided that would not be the best thing to do.  Thank you for all the input. 

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2017, 02.14 am
    Sep 25, 2017, 02.14 am
    *Originally Posted by HOLABIRD [+]
    I am not discounting the fact that the Trophy is a great bike.  I would not be considering it if it wasn't.  If I had to go buy one right now it would be the Trophy because of what they are selling for.  You cant beat it.  But I own a K1600GTL.  I don't have to go out and buy one.  After riding them back to back, the K bike is a better bike.  I was considering selling the K bike and buying a Trophy but have decided that would not be the best thing to do.  Thank you for all the input. 

No one on this Forum will berate you for your choice.  You own a very fine motorcycle.  My best to you.
    Gary

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2017, 08.29 pm
    Oct 05, 2017, 08.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by HOLABIRD [+]
    After riding them back to back, the K bike is a better bike.

Better bike FOR YOU. Objectively, the K1600 is not a better bike. It doesn't handle as well, is heavier, gets worse gas mileage, requires higher octane gas, has a higher maintenance cost, has substantially worse wind/weather handling and seat, and can carry less by both weight and volume. The only objectively better specifications are the switch gear and the engine power, and pillion accommodation if you ride two-up a lot.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch