Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: What Happened Triumph?  (Read 9271 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    What Happened Triumph?
    on: Sep 26, 2017, 01.54 am
    Sep 26, 2017, 01.54 am
    The TTSE was obviously a direct competitor to the BMW R1200RT.  This motorcycle comparably equipped to the TTSE was approximately $21,000.  It had numerous complaints especially the drive train (transmission) and other call backs.  Why did this motorcycle survive and the TTSE fall to the wayside?  Triumph has an excellent reputation and has been around off and on for over a Century.  What happened Triumph?  :435:

• Offline fluxxcomp   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    99

Offline fluxxcomp

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Martinez
    Re: What Happened Triumph?
    Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2017, 02.48 am
    Sep 26, 2017, 02.48 am
    Does this mean all TTSE bikes will drop in value? Super bargains around the corner as the inventory needs to be cleared out from the dealerships?
    I am still looking, waiting to take that plunge...

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04.19 am
    Sep 26, 2017, 04.19 am
    Triumph has never been off and on.  BMW has a huge presence, and the Trophy was never promoted aggressively as a competitor for the R1200RT and was unfairly compared in the marketplace to the K1600 instead.  I must say that despite the difference in power, I think it stood up very well against the earlier versions of the big K bike.  That's exactly why I own a Trophy instead of the K1600, as good at a lot of things, and better at some, in a much more economical package.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    235

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2017, 03.27 pm
    Sep 26, 2017, 03.27 pm
    I think Trophid is right about the comparison with the 1600 instead of the 1200.  The TTSE is a real competitor for the R1200RT but never seemed to break through the wrong perception of its place in the greater hierarchy of bikes.

While my bike was having its 10K service done, I took the opportunity to climb onto the R1200RT and KL1600 once again.  I would still pick the TTSE over those for my particular needs.

• Offline dehaile

• Trophy Member  ‐    11

Offline dehaile

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: WHITEHOUSE
    Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04.10 pm
    Sep 26, 2017, 04.10 pm
    Very good question and topic.  I believe BMW has such a huge name recognition over Triumph and a much larger following.  I believe some people would own the BMW because of the name, similar to Harley owners. The bike doesn't even have to be that good. 
    2017 Triumph Trophy SE, Black

• Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member  ‐    88

Offline Xhdracer

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2017 trophy se
    • City / Town: Las Vegas
    Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2017, 04.33 pm
    Sep 26, 2017, 04.33 pm
    I personally am not happy that they discontinued this bike but at the same time all of us that have bought one at the big discounted price are happy as hell. We got a fantastic bike without paying premium price just for a little round medallion. I still have a K1200rs, and an HD bagger but will take all long rides on the TTSE because it just works right. I have had a bunch of Concours both old and new and have ridden FJRs and RTs and don't think they hold a candle to the TTSE. I notice most people on this forum are older, more seasoned riders and I can see the smiles on your faces when you hike your leg over that seat. There is wisdom with age.   :046:

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2017, 05.40 pm
    Sep 26, 2017, 05.40 pm
     :169:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2017, 05.42 pm
    Sep 26, 2017, 05.42 pm
    Triumph blew it on multiple levels in how they handled this bike. It is clearly an incredible machine but needed a little more. A little more horsepower, a little more torque, a slightly longer wheelbase, a better front fork, a slightly better seat and a re-think of the bar control design  and layout and this bike would have ruled.  Don't get me wrong, I love it as is, but with these few refinements it would have been untouchable. And honestly, with the refinements/upgrades mentioned they could have commanded that $19,000 MSRP. The way the bike was, not really. And that is why they didn't sell as well as they should have. I also do not think that this bike was marketed correctly. One might even say it wasn't marketed at all, which baffles me. Why build a flagship machine and then not market it? It's frustrating to see the bike pulled from the lineup before it could mature.

This now leaves BMW unopposed in this category as the japanese sport touring bikes do not come close to these bikes. I am speaking of the real sport touring models, the FJR 1300 and the Concours 1400. Sure they perform very well, and in the case of the FJR possess great technology, but they do not come close to the level of refinement the Trophy has. I laugh whenever I see them calling Ducati Multistradas, Supersports and Kawasaki Ninja 1000's Sport Tourers. Those are sport tour wannabe's.

I don't know if the Trophy will ever make a comeback. I would like to think that they would give it another look in the near future and finish the job. They were so close...
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi