Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Suspension - Rebuild/Upgrade Options?  (Read 4416 times)

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207
    • Topic Author

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Suspension - Rebuild/Upgrade Options?
    on: Sep 29, 2017, 04.38 pm
    Sep 29, 2017, 04.38 pm
    I wasn't quite sure where to place this post, so I put it here. Apologies if this is not the right place.

I was thinking last night about the suspension. I have never had a bike that had electronic suspension before so I am wondering how serviceable these components are. Does anyone know:

- Other than the fork oil that needs to be changed @ 40,000 miles according to the manual, are there upgrade options for the springs,
      valves/cartridges etc.for the forks?

- I can find no information at all on the shock. Is the shock rebuildable or is this a sealed unit that cannot be replaced by anything else because it
      is electronic?

I had the suspension completely redone on my GSX and it transformed the bike and how it handled. Perhaps the downside of having electronic suspension is that you do not have those options. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

"The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline tracvision

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6

Offline tracvision

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: 2017 SE
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Re: Suspension - Rebuild/Upgrade Options?
    Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2017, 05.57 pm
    Nov 13, 2017, 05.57 pm
    That is a great question, one I cannot answer. I hope that someone , at the minimun, builds some heavier front springs. The bike is a tad bit undersprung for me.

• Offline jstarktt

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4

Offline jstarktt

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Sprint RS
    • City / Town: Minneapolis
    Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2017, 07.14 pm
    Nov 13, 2017, 07.14 pm
    I just looked on Wilbers site - they do sell replacement shocks and springs to custom specs.

They also make an electonically adjustable shock, but don't know if it fits the Trophy.

I would contact them to see what they can do for you . . .

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207
    • Topic Author

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2017, 09.49 pm
    Nov 13, 2017, 09.49 pm
    *Originally Posted by jstarktt [+]
    I just looked on Wilbers site - they do sell replacement shocks and springs to custom specs.

They also make an electonically adjustable shock, but don't know if it fits the Trophy.

I would contact them to see what they can do for you . . .

Very cool. Excellent sleuthing, Sir!  Do you have a link to the site? I don't have issue with the shock, per se. Compression damping could be better, and a slightly stiffer spring might be in order. No, it's more the front that I would like to have improved. It's a bit soft and a little vague. I realize that this is not a race bike or anything, but better feeling from the front would be great.  Sometimes I feel like Dani Pedrosa trying to deal with those crap Michelins on a cold day...
    Last Edit: Nov 13, 2017, 09.51 pm by Ghostrider25
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline jstarktt

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4

Offline jstarktt

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Sprint RS
    • City / Town: Minneapolis
    Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2017, 06.36 pm
    Nov 14, 2017, 06.36 pm
    http://wilbersamerica.com/

I am also a lurker on K1600GT forum and many members have switched over to these when the BMW goes out.
    It is a better and cheaper alternative to OEM and still electronically functional.

Keep us up on any upgrades you do!

Thanks!!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2017, 10.56 pm
    Nov 14, 2017, 10.56 pm
    I haven't looked lately so I don't know whether the Wilbers would work for rebuilding the Trophy suspension.  I had a Wilbers upgrade purchased for my K1600 that had not been installed when I traded it, and Herman let me sell the upgrade to another K1600 rider and he went down and had it installed at his shop in Florida.  Nice guy to deal with, and supposedly knows all on the BMW electronic suspensions.  It's an 8 hour install job if you help him, on the front and rear of a K1600 due to what you have to strip off to get to everthing, front especially with the telelever.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline tracvision

• Trophy Junior  ‐    6

Offline tracvision

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: 2017 SE
    • City / Town: Tampa
    Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11.05 pm
    Nov 14, 2017, 11.05 pm
    I know the BMW's well. The shock install is only slightly harder than an air filter install. LOL.  My initial problem with the 1215 is that the front shocks are a bit under-sprung. My Gold Wing had 900# springs from the factory. It was much worse off. I replaced them with 1300# springs and changed the handling dramatically. I was hoping for a similar fix with the 1215.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5103

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2017, 11.40 pm
    Nov 14, 2017, 11.40 pm
    You also might contact Frank'sforks.com and see if they can help.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

tweedy-bunch