Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Cleaning and Maintaining Your Trophy  (Read 10577 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Cleaning and Maintaining Your Trophy
    on: Oct 04, 2017, 08.36 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 08.36 pm
    Hi Folks!
    I was just wondering what lengths everyone goes to in keeping their bike properly cleaned and maintained.  I bought a Simonizing application with my bike that is supposed to (under life time warranty) keep any rust or paint damage from occurring.  I also recently bought a number of cleaning supplies to take care of my pet steed because I don't trust that any one application to your bike could be that permanent.  Most of the supplies and cleaning methods were recommended by a You Tube owner of a T-120 who used to be a car and bike painter.  His name is Stuart Fillingham and his videos are very interesting and enjoyable.  He is a Yorkshireman and is quite a hoot!! I am going to go the extra mile and wash and wax my Trophy because I intend to keep it until I'm quite a bit an older man than I am now.  The second portion in maintenance is the maintaining of proper fluids and the amount of time one goes between fluid changes. I probably missed this in the handbook but I cannot find the section when oil, transmission fluid etc is recommended!? Any help there would greatly be appreciated!  In my cages I only use synthetic oil or fluids because of the time frame these fluids can go before viscosity is minimized.  I am almost anal when it comes to changing fluids at less than the recommended manufacturers time frames.  Anyways, I thought I would just throw this out to my fellow Forum members for thoughts and ideas on keeping our bikes in tip top condition.

As Always! Best Regards,
    Gary  :005:

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Re: Cleaning and Maintaining Your Trophy
    Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2017, 08.50 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 08.50 pm
    At the moment, until Saturday that is I'm riding a Honda CBF 1000...hummm, sorry  :745:, in seriousness a good bike.
    Last winter I treated it in ACF50 to keep the road salt off over winter, my friend does detailing as a hobbby, he also gave me some products, and applied them for me, good lad, the water just beads and runs off, taking any grim with it, washing the bike is a doddle now, I will get him to do the TTSE when I get it, I also use snow foam too, another good product.
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09.32 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 09.32 pm
    I probably missed this in the handbook but I cannot find the section when oil, transmission fluid etc is recommended!?

Owners Handbook, Page 117 to 119  :028:

Note however that Version 1 of this Publicaion carried some errors / omissions.

These were largely ( but not all ) corrected in Version 2.

The Forum has the answers though - A lits of the errors etc for the Owners Handbook
    ( and the Audio Handbook, Service Handbook andService Manual ) can be found here :

Owners, Audio, and Service Handbooks + Service Manual Errata

Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020, 02.51 pm by Coconut

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2017, 09.36 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 09.36 pm
     :020:  Thanks much Coconut!  I always seem to be in a hurry and miss stuff!!
    Best Regards,
    Gary

• Offline smash   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    191

Offline smash

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2017, 10.44 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 10.44 pm
    Cleaning?  I hose the bugs off the front is I haven't ridden in the rain for a month or so.

• Offline plgoddard   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    382

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
    • IBA #61353
    • Bike: 2013 TTSE
    • City / Town: Detroit
    Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2017, 01.37 am
    Oct 05, 2017, 01.37 am
    My first year of ownership I kept it pretty clean, washing it about every 3-4 weeks. I would apply S100, rinse well, Meguiar's shampoo everything, then wax, and Plexis treatment on all plastics in between washed with a clean microfiber.

Then in Feb this year I took a trip to the Three Twisted Sisters in TX -- we trailered the bikes and while there I followed my friend on his Aprillia RSV4 too closely while passing cars. A lot of cars. Way too closely. There is a lot of gravel in between the lanes, and that huge fairing seemed to make contact with every single one.

Upon getting home I realized this trip basically made my bike look like it had gone 100k miles. Now this last year of ownership I think I washed it 4-5 times total. S100 thoroughly, Meguiar's shampoo and wax only once this year, and Plexis only a few times. I suppose it looks like I'm riding the beast.  :038:

I can comfortably recommend the S100 and Meguiar's and Plexis, I think all three work great.

• Offline rvbobby   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    416

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Raleigh nc
    Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2017, 03.40 am
    Oct 05, 2017, 03.40 am
    Gary, if you had the Simoniz glass coat applied, don't waste your time waxing your bike.You should not need to wax the bike for 5 to 7 years.I would recommend washing it after very ride (yes i am anal also) to get surface crap off. Plexus on windshield is great but that should have been glass coated also.The rims were not  glass coated so that would be the only part that you would want to keep up on.Never ride dirty.(My motto)

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07.35 pm
    Oct 05, 2017, 07.35 pm
    When I buy a new vehicle, I wash it and apply three coats of Zaino to it, and then just wash it normally when it gets dirty. All of my vehicles look new when I sell them, usually after 7-10 years or so.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch