Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] K&N Oil Filter KN-204 RECALL  (Read 2978 times)

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261
    • Topic Author

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    K&N Oil Filter KN-204 RECALL
    on: Oct 04, 2017, 09.51 pm
    Oct 04, 2017, 09.51 pm
    Just received a mail from M&P who I bought an oil filter from a while back, it was for a tiger but its the same fitment as the Trophy....

KN-204 OIL FILTER RECALL
    WHY WE ARE TAKING THIS ACTION
    K&N has discovered that in certain KN-204 oil filters manufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016, oil can leak at the area where a nut (intended for use to remove the oil filter during routine oil changes) was welded to the bottom of the filter canister. If there is such a leak, oil could come into contact with the rear tire or rear brake of the motorcycle on which the filter was installed. If this were to occur, it could lead to a loss of control or a crash. Therefore, K&N is offering to replace the affected oil filters at no charge. This offer of a free replacement also applies to those covered KN-204 oil filters that were purchased for use in an application other than a motorcycle, such as an ATV or PWC (personal watercraft).

If you have one of the affected batch of oil filters, please photograph the date code and send the picture to us at sales@mandp.com and we will dispatch a replacement as soon as we can. You must include your name, address and phone number so that we are able to deal with your claim as efficiently as possible.

Affected batches - 3H, 4H, 5H, 6H, 7H, 8H or 9H
    Items covered by this recall
    This recall applies only to KN-204 oil filters manufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016. The KN-204 oil filters covered by this recall have manufacturing date codes imprinted on the ends of the filters that contain as the second and third characters of the code the number/letter combinations of 3H, 4H, 5H, 6H, 7H, 8H or 9H, with the number corresponding to the month of the year (i.e., 3 for the month of March, 4 for the month of April, etc.) and the letter "H" representing the year 2016. KN-204 oil filters manufactured outside of that date range and which bear different manufacturing date codes are not covered by this recall. The date code can be found as shown in the photograph below. In this photo, the relevant character combination is "7H", which indicates the oil filter was manufactured in July 2016.
    Last Edit: Oct 05, 2017, 10.50 am by Trophy Moderator

• Offline Trophy Moderator   gb

• Forum Moderator
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    222

Offline Trophy Moderator

• Forum Moderator
    • Trophy Pro
    Re: K&N Oil Filter KN-204 RECALL
    Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 10.51 am
    Oct 05, 2017, 10.51 am
    Thank you for Posting this - I have Edited the Title
    to include the Filter Type, and to aide future Forum Searches.

Trophy Moderator

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: New York
    Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2017, 01.18 pm
    Oct 05, 2017, 01.18 pm
    Thank you for this.  I was just about to buy another of these for an oil change.  I will check the date code for sure.

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06.17 pm
    Oct 06, 2017, 06.17 pm
    Nice to see, I mentioned this happening numerous times on the Honda CB1100 forum here. Glad to see K&N has acknowledged the problem. I hope no one was injured or worse.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    5042

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 06.19 pm
    Oct 06, 2017, 06.19 pm
    Nice information for members to have.
    Thanks for the post.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline PhilInAthens   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    303

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2017, 03.10 pm
    Oct 14, 2017, 03.10 pm
    Just got my recall letter from K&N Engineering yesterday. Went out right away to get a replacement and the first store only had one in stock and it was subject to the recall. (Check those codes before you buy!) Second store had a good one.

Worth mentioning;  When I went to check my filter to see for myself if it was subject to the recall (it was) I noted some weeping around the edge of the weld in question.  Glad this was resolved last night before I head out on my Smokey Mountain ride this morning!  Timely.   :169:

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2017, 06.34 pm
    Oct 21, 2017, 06.34 pm
    So, I emailed my photo and information to that email address given on October 11th.  I have yet to even receive a reply of any kind?  Has this been your experience?  I kind of expected something, even just a generic confirmation email or something, but nothing.
     :187:
    Year round rider here!

• Offline PhilInAthens   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    303

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Athens, GA
    Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2017, 02.48 pm
    Oct 22, 2017, 02.48 pm
    rpeters549 - Same here - crickets.  Not even so much as a grunt.  The letter gives a weblink to download a form to send in. The weblink takes you to their page regarding the recall (basically has an abridged version of the letter there), but no form download is available there.  So, I am wondering what the deal is.  :084:

tweedy-bunch