Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Russell Day Long Seats (Are they worth the price?)  (Read 5115 times)

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535
    • Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Russell Day Long Seats (Are they worth the price?)
    on: Oct 05, 2017, 12.42 pm
    Oct 05, 2017, 12.42 pm
    I keep hearing how the TTSE seats are pretty poor; however, I have not ridden more than an hour and a half on mine one way and found it not uncomfortable at all.  Do the Russell Day Long Seats provide that significant amount of extra comfort as it will cost me about a $1K to have Dual seats and a back rest installed. Your input, comments and suggestions will greatly be appreciated!  I don't plan on doing any significant distance riding.  Might ride it to Oklahoma City which is a 5+ hour trip once a year.

Best Regards,
    Gary

• Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro  ‐    207

Offline Ghostrider25

• Trophy Pro
    • Lone Rider of the Apocolypse
    • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
    • City / Town: S. F. Bay Area
    Re: Russell Day Long Seats (Are they worth the price?)
    Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2017, 07.15 pm
    Oct 05, 2017, 07.15 pm
    Interesting point, Gary. When I was testing and then first bought the bike I thought the seat was great.  Once I started riding the bike in earnest, however, I found the seat to be giving me pain and discomfort in my low back after about an hour or so. It also gives the sensation of giving me a downward slant which is constantly pushing me forward into the tank which is very annoying.

As time is going by the seat is slowly starting to "break in" for me. It doesn't seem as hard as it was when new, and I am better able to settle into a position and hold it without being pushed forward. The sensation of that is still there but I am better able to deal with it.  I am hoping things will continue to improve as more miles get put on as I have no desire to spend a thousand bucks on a new seat.  I wish the comfort seats were still available, it would make things so much easier. Nice fail, Triumph!   :138:
    "The most important thing is to have a good relationship with the bike... you have to understand what she wants. I think of a motorcycle as a woman, and I know that sounds silly, but it's true".  - Valentino Rossi

• Offline HACKLE   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    1279

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
    • City / Town: Trafalgar
    Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2017, 12.13 am
    Oct 06, 2017, 12.13 am
    Gary. Just a small point on the seat, re comfort. Firstly don't be keen to buy a RDL before you've spent a reasonable length of time on the Trophy seat. I find that I can very easily complete a 1000 kilometre ride in 12 hours on the original seat with an Airhawk on it. I have the seat set on the higher setting [I'm 6' 2"] with the rear raised a bit higher. I found with the seat in this position that the rear was still too low for me. The rubber blocks under the seat sit in one of two positions at the rear, on a stepped metal bracket. With the seat off you can see this clearly. I simply added a rubber block to each side onto the higher position. Drilled a hole through the rubber block and mounted it with a small bolt and lock nut, through the hole in the upper section of this stepped bracket. The rubber blocks under the seat now sit on these blocks that I added raising the rear to the desired height I wanted. The two rubber blocks I added where about an 1.5 inches high. Works for me. But as I said at the start Gary, ride your bike a good bit before going out and buying a replacement seat. Cheers.
    HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2017, 02.54 am
    Oct 06, 2017, 02.54 am
    Hey My Friend,

I cannot believe the distances you ride!  It blows my mind!!  Just curious if your organizations hand out awards for making these trips and what "drives'' you to go so far.  I would be afraid my bike would break down and I'd never make it home.  Hey, but I am a wimp and I am two years younger than you.  Shows you Aussies are made of some stout stuff!  Of interest, back on topic I am your exact height.  I appreciate your input especially since you make such long rides.  I don't have the skill to make the seat fit like yours but overall as I have already stated the seat is not that bad in my meager estimation. I would like to put a back rest on the bike and if you have any suggestions other than RDL I would be pleased if you sent them my way.
    I will give it a go on the stock seat for a year and then decide whether I want to part with my money. 

My Best Wishes,
    Gary

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1306

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2017, 11.28 am
    Oct 06, 2017, 11.28 am
    "Russell Day Long Seats (Are they worth the price?)"

Yes.
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline spl383   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    122

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
    Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2017, 12.03 pm
    Oct 06, 2017, 12.03 pm
    I hope they are worth the price I am sending in my seat in a couple of weeks.  If you wan't a cheaper route Mean City Cycles rebuilds seats for a better price, I had a seat re-done by them on my old bike.

• Topic Author

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2017, 02.45 pm
    Oct 06, 2017, 02.45 pm
    Based on all input from the the fine Forum members read here and elsewhere I think if the OEM seat does not work out I will go with the RDL seat.

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    582

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #7 on: Oct 06, 2017, 04.13 pm
    Oct 06, 2017, 04.13 pm
    I'm an avid LD rider and the RDL is simply the best mod that I've done to the bike.  I only did the front so the cost was in the $400s.  On my 50CCGold (2930 miles in 46h10m) ride last Sept, the only part of me NOT hurting was my butt.

Be aware that the RDL will raise the seat an inch or 2.  Make sure you are tall enough to use it.

Some pics can be found here:  https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,7495.0.html

-------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609