Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Has anyone ridden to Bulgaria  (Read 3762 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Has anyone ridden to Bulgaria
    on: Oct 17, 2017, 07.10 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 07.10 pm
    Evening all.

I was just wondering if anyone has ever ridden to Bulgaria, One of my "bucket list" things to do is ride out there.
    My wife comes from Sofia, her mum still lives there, and her son is in Varna, on the Black Sea, it's pushing 2000 miles there, so I'm thinking of doing it over four days, doing about 250 miles a day, taking in account for comfort breaks, stopping for the wife to stretch her joints (fibromyalgia condition).

I think this is achievable over the four days, I would take two weeks off work, so 8 days to travel and the rest for family / friends time and beach.

Thanks in advance

Wilko.
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member  ‐    77

Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: St Léger Magnazeix
    Re: Has anyone ridden to Bulgaria
    Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09.44 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 09.44 pm
    Hi Wilko,

If it's about 2,000 miles there it'll take 8 days at 250 miles a day, or was there some heroic rounding in your post :-).

Sorry can't help with your main question, never been out that way on the bike. But, when we went to Croatia we took an overnight car train from Dusseldorf to Vienna and rode on from there. That might be an option worth thinking about as Google maps shows Vienna to Sofia as 624 miles. Can give more advice on the train if you like, just say it is practical rather than comfortable, and there is no buffet car...
    Brian

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2017, 09.59 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 09.59 pm
    *Originally Posted by Brian Ross [+]
    Hi Wilko,

If it's about 2,000 miles there it'll take 8 days at 250 miles a day, or was there some heroic rounding in your post :-).

Sorry can't help with your main question, never been out that way on the bike. But, when we went to Croatia we took an overnight car train from Dusseldorf to Vienna and rode on from there. That might be an option worth thinking about as Google maps shows Vienna to Sofia as 624 miles. Can give more advice on the train if you like, just say it is practical rather than comfortable, and there is no buffet car...

Cheers Brian,
    I like to round things up lol, it's just over 1900 miles, so i'm guessing "around" the 250 miles per day mark, four days there and four back home, im in the Birmingham area.
    However, you have given me food for thought, although there's no buffet car :-)
    Paul Wilko

• Offline JohnH

• Trophy Junior  ‐    4

Offline JohnH

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford
    Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2017, 10.38 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 10.38 pm
    Evening, Wilko.

1900 miles in four days? That's an average of 475 miles a day by my reckoning. By no means impossible but I think it'll take some doing. I've had a couple of decent tours in Europe (2,200+ miles in twelve days on both occasions) - one to Berlin and out to the Polish border, the other to Vienna. I allowed myself two or three days off the bike on each trip and my longest single day's run was 370 miles, which felt like more than enough at the time. I was riding a Honda ST1300.

Best of luck!

John

• Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member  ‐    77

Offline Brian Ross

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: St Léger Magnazeix
    Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2017, 11.30 pm
    Oct 17, 2017, 11.30 pm
     There is also a car train service from Vilach in Austria to Erdine in Turkey - close to the border with Bulgaria and, according to https://www.seat61.com/Motorail.htm#Eastern%20Europe , it connects with the Dusseldorf Vienna service. Not suggesting you get both trains both ways, but given your wife's Fybromyalgia it may be an option to use one train outbound and one returning so you get to ride the entire distance but once only!

As long as you know there is no buffet car on the Dusseldorf service you can plan ahead to get a picnic for on board! We arrived well before the departure and left the bikes securely parked at the terminal in Dusseldorf and went to explore the town and buy food and drink. The on board conductor does sell tea and coffee. If we did it again we would go first class which gives you your own personal washing facilities as the shared ones were pretty nasty towards the end of the journey - but that reflects the passengers rather than the train operator... Biggest benefit, of course, is travelling hundreds of miles of your journey while asleep  :139:
    Brian

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2017, 10.18 am
    Oct 18, 2017, 10.18 am
    I went 2 years ago, travelling through Poland and Ukraine then into Romania for the Transfaragasan pass then into Bulgaria. Didnt go to Sofia, but was close. I imagine you would take the motorway through Germany, Slovenia and Serbia, so 500 mile days are no problem if you need to do them. Just a bit boring. Have you considered visiting the communist party headquarters monument at Buddzullah (bet Ive spelt that wrong!)in the mountains.

• Offline Phil   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    467

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: London
    Reply #6 on: Oct 18, 2017, 11.00 am
    Oct 18, 2017, 11.00 am
    An alternative option that my wife and I discuss is she flys out, I ride and meet her at the destination.   It means I can do extra miles per day and the money saved on not having to get en-route hotels, meals etc goe towards the flight costs. 

Notwithstanding the above, she usually ends up riding pillion but it maybe an option worth investigating for Bulgaria.   :027: 

Phil

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Oct 18, 2017, 12.36 pm
    Oct 18, 2017, 12.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
    I went 2 years ago, travelling through Poland and Ukraine then into Romania for the Transfaragasan pass then into Bulgaria. Didnt go to Sofia, but was close. I imagine you would take the motorway through Germany, Slovenia and Serbia, so 500 mile days are no problem if you need to do them. Just a bit boring. Have you considered visiting the communist party headquarters monument at Buddzullah (bet Ive spelt that wrong!)in the mountains.

Hi 1697,

I want to visit the now monument, It's spelt Buzludzha, but good attempt, and for those who don't know this is what it is, Its currently a modern ruin after the Communism, but plans are underway to restore it as a major tourist attraction to Bulgaria's herritage. 

Paul Wilko