Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Final Drive Oil Leak  (Read 3086 times)

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 F800GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
Re: Final Drive Oil Leak
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »
You have the identical symptoms, identical oil leaking from boot as I had on my 2013 right down to some oil on the rim.  The so called non-replaceable seal was the culprit in my bike.  Ended up, lucky for me, with Triumph replacing entire drive shaft assembly at their expense.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Mine certainly was. :002:

It does make you wonder how they manage to do it though. :087:

I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how it's possible. If you overfill, it will leak out long before you get the bolt in enough to stop it. The only thing I can think of is someone was pumping oil in under pressure WHILE tightening the bolt. I would think that would set off alarm bells in one's mind.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 07:11:54 PM »
Maybe it was "filled" prior to being fitted to the Bike -
If it was tipped over so the filler hole was uppermost,
it would be easy to over fill it !! ??  :087:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 07:23:57 PM »
The only other thing that I can think of, maybe the factory floor isn't actually level?  :008: 

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 07:31:17 PM »
Or it was filled by the same "mechanic" that fitted
the Front Wishbone bolt from the wrong side !  :087:   :008:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 05:30:33 PM »
So far so good--no oil leaking out of the final drive yet.   I'm Keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:53 PM »
I have ~24k miles on my 2017 TTSE with no problems until yesterday. At a gas stop I noticed a drip of oil below the final drive. Upon inspection I noticed the bottom of the rubber boot oily. When I got to my daughter's house I washed the bike and the final drive area. There was a small amount of oil in the boot. I removed the filler plug and no oil came out. So I doubt it was over filled. Plus if it was checked and topped off at the 20K service, it wouldn't have taken 4000 miles to expel the excess. I assume the seal is leaking.

Does anyone know the capacity the final drive? I'm going to add oil to it, but I'd like to know how low it is. My dealer said I won't hurt anything as long as I keep it full. I just don't know how fast it's running out. I know a few drops of oil can make a big mess but also don't want to run it dry and be stranded a thousand miles from home.
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 06:37:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by ISU Cyclone [+]

Does anyone know the capacity the final drive? I'm going to add oil to it, but I'd like to know how low it is. My dealer said I won't hurt anything as long as I keep it full. I just don't know how fast it's running out. I know a few drops of oil can make a big mess but also don't want to run it dry and be stranded a thousand miles from home.

According to the datasheet located elsewhere on this site it's 170ml (0.170 Liter).

Now my question....I'm changing the final drive gear oil and it appears one of the plugs is magnetic and one not.  I presume the magnetic one is the "Drain" plug on the bottom but when I removed it it was on the top, or fill, plug.

I did have the 500 mile initial service done but when I carefully looked a the documents after I got home I don't see them charging me for the gear oil  I've never seen a dealer "miss" a charge so wanted to change it just in case along with an oil change.  I'll try and check a parts list to see if the plug has a different part number and location also.

EDIT:  Yep confirmed magnetic plug on Bottom - Thanks dealer 1100+ miles away  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 06:40:32 PM by Rick505 »

tweedy-bunch