Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly  (Read 13293 times)

Offline 1675

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
Re: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly
« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2018, 09:30:00 AM »
If you have an assistant, get them to push the weight of the bike gently towards the sidestand. This will allow the bolt in question to come out easier. At no time is there nothing there ( you either have the bolt in or the rod, or half and half) so no danger of any catastrophes

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2018, 11:26:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
If you have an assistant, get them to push the weight of the bike gently towards the sidestand. This will allow the bolt in question to come out easier. At no time is there nothing there ( you either have the bolt in or the rod, or half and half) so no danger of any catastrophes

I did have an assistant at the time rocking the bike, my wife!

My biggest mistake were using a drift around a foot long, it were just a bit of oversized steel that I had at the time and because I only turned down half of it's length, I could only retrieve it one way.

I'll certainly find a more suitable drift next time but I'm not looking forward at doing this procedure again shall we say.

Offline Trustmeimapilot

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: New Forest
« Reply #154 on: September 26, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
First up, the good news. Iíve got my bike back on the road with a fresh MOT.
Had a chance for a long chat with the mechanic/MOT tester.

Getting the sleeves and bearings out was very difficult. All in it took 3 hours labour.
The bearings were in a dreadful state. Not much grease at all, pretty much seized. My earlier Triumphs, a Ď94 Tiger 900 and a Sprint ST 955 had grease nipples on the linkages. The Trophy doesnít. My Pan Europeans didnít have grease nipples either, but I never had a problem with suspension on either of them, and I had 2 second hand ones over 8 years and rode over 120000 miles on them on total.

Thereís not much doubt in my mind that the twisting forces on the drag link, caused by friction on the brearings led to the failure of the drag link.

I use one of the very best independent dealers around to supply and service my bikes. Iíve been a customer of theirs for many years, sometimes getting the Panís services 3 times a year, I would do so many miles. They know me well enough - I wonít skimp on maintenance. I tend to hang on to my bikes into high mileage and used to do high annual miles, so I never declined their mechanicís recommendation.
If they thought the suspension linkage needed stripping and regreasing they would have done it.
In future it will be.

I shall email Triumph and see what they say. If Iím not absolutely happy with their reply I will report the matter to VOSA, through their dangerous defect reporting scheme.

The bike does ride better now, Comfort mode on the TES is once again too wallowy for my liking. My wallet is a bit emptier.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #155 on: September 26, 2018, 07:36:54 PM »
Good to hear that you are back on the road,
and Thank You for letting Triumph know about your specific case :028:

It will be interesting to see whether Triumph respond with anything other than a "Standard" reply,
even though this is a problem they ARE aware of.

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Philpat

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Holyhead
« Reply #156 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »
 Ive had 20K and 40K service on the Trophy and been told the drop links look clean?!
So my dealer is just not doing the job and thankfully not charged for it.
Probable an hour job at £62.50 per hour labour and then parts if the have them in stock!

So unless your no goods with spanners do it yourself and known the job been done right and for a fraction of the cost.

Philpat

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #157 on: September 26, 2018, 08:51:17 PM »
They can "look"  "clean" - externally -
but could still be corroded up inside and possibly seized !

Go back to Reply #139 and look at the Photo - No obvious external signs
that any of the Linkages are seized, and it all "looks clean" !   :033:

The key thing is that all the joints move freely,
and are lubricated with Grease to keep them that way   :169:

The only practical way to confirm that is by dismantling and inspection  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline Trustmeimapilot

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2018, 09:07:11 PM »
After taking a bit longer to reconsider, I decided to inform VOSA/DVSA via their VSB dangerous defect report.

Offline Trustmeimapilot

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
Response from Triumph

We are sorry to here that you have experienced a failure of the drag link on your 2013 model Trophy SE.

Greasing of the bearings on the rear suspension is part of the service schedule, but some bikes may require more frequent servicing depending on the conditions the bike is used in.

All bikes should be serviced at least once a year, if you are having your bike serviced outside of the dealer network, it may not have been carried out in accordance to the Triumph schedule. Our service records only show one service ever being carried out on your Trophy, in November 2014.

Thank you once more for taking the time to contact us. If you do tend to use your Trophy in adverse weather, we would suggest you have the suspension linkage re-greased every year.

My take on this, the bike was first serviced by a main dealer, again prior to my purchase by the independent that supplied it to me, then at 22000 miles when it had the full manufacturer spec service by the same independent. Itís only done 7500 since, avoiding salted roads and winter rain. Last service was 14 months/4000 miles ago.  I wouldnít describe my use as particularly severe, or of a nature requiring maintenance over and above manufacturer specification, but yes itís slightly more than a year since it was on the bench. Itís a big touring bike, itís perfectly reasonable to expect it to be used in all weathers by a commuter and live a harder life than mine.

My ST1300ís had harder lives, were used in all weathers and never had the suspension stripped, greased or fresh bearings. Honda say inspect suspension every 8000m. Just wasnít an issue.

In any case such a fracture of the drag link just shouldnít happen. The component isnít tough enough. It shouldnít fail even if maintenance is neglected, itís too critical.
Mineís a fairly early bike, and has done more miles than many. I hope itís not among the first of many such failures.

The TT service item - Check/lubricate rear suspension linkage every 2 years /20000m probably isnít enough to prevent this ever happening to anyone else. With no grease nipples and difficult access because of the stand, I expect a lot of bikes donít get this done.