Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly  (Read 29937 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2019, 03:51:37 AM »
Can you explain a little about how sleeve 32 acts as a spacer? Sounds like it fits next to the bearing and sleeve 27 and 28?

Offline Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #209 on: October 22, 2019, 04:30:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
Can you explain a little about how sleeve 32 acts as a spacer? Sounds like it fits next to the bearing and sleeve 27 and 28?

It does fit next to 27 and 28. I rebuilt mine in September of 2018, so I'm struggling to remember exactly how it worked. Below are some pictures that may help. I believe I put the bearing in, then the two sleeves. The second sleeve, that I'm calling a spacer, is jammed in my bike and I can't move it at all. Because of your question, and looking at the diagrams, it's dawning on me that I didn't realize the sleeves were different size diameters, and I may have put mine in reversed. Anyway, I hope you can make sense of the pics. The head of my bolt is torqued up to spec against that sleeve, that shouldn't be protruding. (It's been that way for 9500 miles now, and the drag link still moves freely.)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 22, 2019, 04:53:24 AM »
That makes sense, thanks for the pics, that'll help.

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #211 on: October 22, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
The bearing sleeve is made of hardened steel and the spacer is aluminium.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 22, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
The bearing sleeve is made of hardened steel and the spacer is aluminium.

Thanks

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 22, 2019, 03:32:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jeffb [+]
It does fit next to 27 and 28. I rebuilt mine in September of 2018, so I'm struggling to remember exactly how it worked. Below are some pictures that may help. I believe I put the bearing in, then the two sleeves. The second sleeve, that I'm calling a spacer, is jammed in my bike and I can't move it at all. Because of your question, and looking at the diagrams, it's dawning on me that I didn't realize the sleeves were different size diameters, and I may have put mine in reversed. Anyway, I hope you can make sense of the pics. The head of my bolt is torqued up to spec against that sleeve, that shouldn't be protruding. (It's been that way for 9500 miles now, and the drag link still moves freely.)

That's pretty much what mine looks like. 

What I've gathered from this thread is once I reverse the nut and bolt at this point, I can put the center stand back on and service the suspension on the center stand with no problems?

Sorry for all the questions, but I like to have a pretty good idea what I'm going to encounter.

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #214 on: October 22, 2019, 09:53:22 PM »
Yes. Servicing is much easier with all 3 bolts going in from the right hand side.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 23, 2019, 01:55:23 AM »
Even though I don't have the seals and new lock nuts yet, I decided to go ahead and start working on the suspension.  Since this is the first time I've done this I had to reverse the bolt in the front of the drag link, so I decided to mostly follow the complete procedure in the service manual.  i guess I don't ride in inclement weather and I know I don't ride on salty roads --my bearings were in pretty good shape even though there wasn't any sign that they had ever been lubed.

Unless you have a bike lift, a creeper will come in handy, so will a small floor jack.

First, I removed the luggage, then the center stand and exhaust system to get access to the drag link. 

The center stand is held on by two bolts, but you also need to remove a bracket to back the front bolt all the way out of the drag link. This is the exhaust side bolt.

You can see where the center stand bolt was on the gear shift side (I forgot to take a pic) just to the right of the shock sprin.

This is the bracket that also needs removed.  One bolt is the center stand pivot and the other is just in front of the side stand.

The exhaust is connected at only two points, the muffler and the pipe.

Loosen this clamp.

Then remove this bolt and lift the exhaust off the bike.

Before I started taking the suspension apart, I had to address the issue of supporting the bike without a center stand when the suspension is disassembled.  I had some MDF laying around the shop so I made this contraption to hold the bike up while I took suspension apart to lube it. Its two pieces with a wedge driven between them to tighten them up. 

Once I was sure the bike wasn't going to fall on me, I started on the front drag link mount.

The before picture.  You can see the aluminum spacer on the right in the picture.  The stainless steel sleeve is to the left of the spacer.

I removed the nut from the front bolt and used a drift I made out of a 12MM bolt to drive the mounting bolt out of the drag link.  The seals and bearing looked pretty good so I just used my finger to apply grease to the bearing.  I will have to replace the bearing at some point and I think it would be easy to drive out with a socket of appropriate size. I used a small floor jack to push up on the bottom of the shock to align the holes in the drag link with the mounting points.

Pic of the two tools I used to drift out the nuts and sleeves.  Be careful you don't tear up a seal or bearing when trying to push out the sleeves.  You don't have a lot of edge to get a purchase.  I lubed the sleeves before putting them back in so they will come out easy the next time I do this.

Using the floor jack to align the front drag link holes.  I ended up mangling a seal and had to disassemble the whole thing, but I'll need the jack to put it back together again.

The cleaned and lubed front of the drag link.  It's not connected to the rear shock so it's hanging down in this picture. You can clearly see the aluminum spacer to the right of the drag link.

I was a little confused by the illustrated parts break down and how the parts went together, especially the front of the drag link.  Thanks to JeffB and 1675 for their help with this.

This picture is drawn looking down at the drag link. The drop links are not shown.

A few pictures of the process of disassembling the bottom of the shock from the drag link and cleaning and reassembling.  It's essentially the same as the front without the spacer.

The drag link disconnected from the lower shock.

This is what the sleeve looked like, it's pristine where the bearings roll on it, the corrosion is between the two sides of the drag link and the shock mount.  It won't have any effect on the operation of the suspension and if I replaced it, the replacement would look like in short order.

The drop links are connected to the swing arm the same way the rest of the suspension is tied together.  A bolt and sleeve with two roller bearings.  The top ones looked good too.

The long spacer goes through the bearings to connect with the drop link on the other side.

I'm essentially done, I need one seal and the three lock nuts to put the suspension back together, then I will reinstall the exhaust and the center stand.