Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly  (Read 14586 times)

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
Re: Drag Link failure - rear suspension assembly
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2017, 05:07:48 PM »
I had a 20k service. The dealer did not do the drag link lubrication. I questioned this and they checked the Triumph check list and told me it was not listed to be done  :233:
It wasn't me !!

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: hornchurch
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »
yes way to much effort for your £650 pounds :233:
assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2017, 05:34:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by greenduck1966 [+]
the way i did it was two trolley jacks and a ratchet strap one jack under the frame by the right hand foot peg and the second under the bevel box and a ratchet strap to the right hand grab rail to the joist in the garage roof to make sure. then the main stand can stay up and you have the side stand down worked ok for me

Thanks, sounds like a bit of a balancing act but I can't see any other way around it really. :187:

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: hornchurch
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2017, 11:05:42 AM »
Great work Team! :152:

Looks like we now have a plan to get this thing lubed.

I notice that bolt holding the Drag Link to the Frame appears to be a good 6 threads or so longer than needed - so trimming that back might help with removal etc... :084:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
Boys. boys, boys, you are getttng yourselves all in a tizzy here and there is no need for it. Put the bike on the side stand and loosen the nut on the right side of the pivot bolt. Take off the whole centre stand. Using a piece of 12mm bar ( I used silver steel as I had some laid about, but any 12mm bolt with the head cut off will do) drive out the original bolt from the right side, out to the left till it drops out, The bike will now be supported on the 12mm bar. Now use the original bolt and from the right side, drive it through to push out the silver steel/modified bolt with no head. Replace the centre stand taking the opportunity to grease its pivots. Place bike from side to centre stand with a chock under the rear wheel or if you like, remove it and chock the disc to support the swing arm. You can now service all of the linkages. I always renew the seals which are £1 each from my local bearing supplier.  Noticing at the last suspension service that a couple of the steel sleeves had a bit of corrosion, I have made new ones to avoid paying fi[or genuine sleeves and will be grinding a batch up next week

When you knocked that bolt out, was the bike just supported via the side stand? Did you not support the bike in any other way, as shown in the picture by greenduck1966??

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Spennymoor
« Reply #118 on: December 19, 2017, 09:53:44 AM »
No need to. Removed the centre stand and bracket and knocked the bolt out as the bike was on sidestand. Cant recall all the details as it was a couple of years ago, but I did do it by myself without jacks

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 19, 2017, 07:32:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
No need to. Removed the centre stand and bracket and knocked the bolt out as the bike was on sidestand. Cant recall all the details as it was a couple of years ago, but I did do it by myself without jacks

Thanks, in theory, if the end of the drift constantly stays butted up against the end of the bolt, it should follow through all the holes/sections, taking the weight and keeping the bike together.