Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: speedo & tacho drop to zero  (Read 19389 times)

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
speedo & tacho drop to zero
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:34 am »
I am at about 1500 miles trouble free, yesterday i came out of a 40 limit to national limit (60) and grabbed a handful of throttle. Glanced down to check speed to see the dials (speed and tacho) drop to zero then come straight back, engine never missed a beat and the only time i have seen this happen. The digital display stayed on.
has anyone else had this, and if so does it develop? We are of to mull next weekend and don't want to be stuck (practically all the way is no mobile phone reception).
Maybe its just character.....all the old 60's & 70's oil leak problems were part of the bike!

Offline RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many!
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
Re: speedo & tacho drop to zero
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:30:31 am »
A couple of days ago, I had something very similar happen on my (closely related) Explorer. The speedo went to zero for a second or less and then came back again. I was doing about 60 at the time and accelrating. Nothing else happened. I only happened to be looking at the speedo when it happened, so it may have happened before and I'd no reason to notice.
‘13 Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
‘14 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date
‘15 Trophy 1200 A1 Pacific Blue - 2020 to date (for sale soon)
‘15 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red - 2021 to date

Offline miss

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: madrid
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:12:29 pm »
already published, that the same happened to me

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:36:26 pm »
    Once had it happen on digital speedo on a Sprint RS when it was raining. Only happened once in 5yrs.

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »
done it again today, running along at a steady 30 dropped to 0 for about 1 sec, digital display and tacho still working then it came back....now at about 2500 miles. it must be something to do with the fly by wire

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:19 pm »
As long as the bike is running okay you should be fine.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »
Both my sprint and tiger have done this.  The sprint was because of low volts (the main battery charge fuse had blown) whilst riding and I didn't know until as an early warning the guages dropped to zero.  It meant I knew that there was a battery problem and fixed the fuse and surprisingly the bike restarted.  I have since added a volt meter to keep an eye on it.  The Tiger did the same but this time the ecu thought there was a short in the instrument wiring so turned it all off.  It came back on again later.  I only found the "short message" when I put an OBD tester on it.  Could have also been low volts so the ECU thought there must be a short.

Offline macnorman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Scott Depot, WV
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:19 pm »
Just yesterday I was riding on the Interstate at 70 with the cruise engaged when the speedo dropped to zero. The cruise light went out too. Just as quickly it popped back up instantly and I haven't had a re-occurrence.