Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: How to change oil, filter  (Read 13242 times)

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750
    • Topic Author

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    How to change oil, filter
    on: Nov 11, 2017, 02.30 am
    Nov 11, 2017, 02.30 am
    First time doing this write-up thing so be gentle. But, about 40 years of wrenching to date...  SO-

1-  Bike on center stand, small 1" thick chunk of wood or whatever under front tire to get bike very close to level.

2-  Recommended to drain oil when warm so idle motor until up to temp then shut off.  You can drain it cold, just preferable warm as it is quicker, more complete, etc.

3-  Gather supplies to include:

*  4 quarts oil
    *  1 new oil filter
    *  New sealing washer for drain bolt
    *  Drain pan
    *  CLEAN funnel for re-filling oil
    *  5mm hex wrench or socket and bit
    *  Oil filter pliers or end cap style filter removal tool

3-  Locate your drain bolt.  Under the motor next to the exhaust.  My blue finger is pointing at it.  Remove drain bolt with 5mm hex.  Be careful as the oil may be hot!  Be sure the sealing washer is still on the bolt.  Triumph recommends a new sealing washer each oil change so you should discard the used sealing washer.  Let it drain long enough to get as much old oil out as possible.  While draining, pre-fill the new oil filter with clean oil.  Use your finger to smear a small amount of fresh oil on the gasket (aids in future removal).  Set aside to allow the oil to wick in to the filter media.  Don't overfill.  You can turn it sideways to make sure none runs out.

Pic of drain bolt:

Pic of drain bolt and sealing washer:

4-  Remove oil filter (located by where your left foot would be while riding, right by the gear change lever).  Make sure rubber gasket comes off with the filter.  In the pic below you can see a bolt that many people remove so they can pull the body work out a bit for easier access.  For me, not needed at all.  Use oil filter pliers (or end cap style wrench, etc) to slightly loosen filter until you can turn it by hand.  Un-thread it most the way and leave it a minute or two to allow oil to drain out of the filter before fully removing it.

Pliers on filter:

Filter removed:

5-  Once the oil has essentially stopped dripping from the drain plug hole and filter mount, use a clean rag to wipe off the filter sealing surface on the motor (bright silver) and the sealing surface of the drain plug where the sealing washer contacts the motor.  Replace drain plug (after wiping it clean) with a new sealing washer and tighten to snug.  Triumph says 18 ft/lb (25 nm). 

6-  Install new oil filter.  When the gasket makes contact with the motor, just snug it another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.  Use filter pliers to snug slightly if you desire.  It is a big rubber gasket and does not have to be super tight!  Triumph says about 89 in/lb (10 nm).  That is less than half the tightness of the drain bolt for a comparison.

Filter pre-filled with its smear of fresh oil on the gasket:

New filter installed! :

7-  On other side of bike, locate and remove the oil filler plug:

8-  Using a clean funnel, add 4 quarts oil slowly.

9-  Replace oil filler plug.  Start motor and let it idle for a few minutes.  Look for leaks.  None?  YAY!!  Shut motor off and give it a few minutes to drain down in to the crankcase.  Using a flashlight, check the oil level sight glass to make sure the oil is between the high and low indicators.  Find said sight glass on the right side through one of the fairing slats down low.

Done!  Remove the block from under the front tire and go for a ride!
    Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 11.09 am by Trophy Moderator
    Year round rider here!

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: How to change oil, filter
    Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2017, 08.16 am
    Nov 11, 2017, 08.16 am
    Excellent "HOW TO" article  :152:

Thank you for doing this - I'm sure it will be of benefit to many Trophy Owners  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 26, 2020, 01.12 pm by Coconut

• Offline Stelyn   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    931

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
    Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2017, 09.24 am
    Nov 11, 2017, 09.24 am

:460:   :028: .....Good,  detailed,  and easy to follow guide    :821:
    `Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

• Offline GaryWWhite   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    535

Offline GaryWWhite

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2017 TTSE Black
    • City / Town: Lees Summit Missouri
    Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 03.04 pm
    Nov 11, 2017, 03.04 pm
     :460: Hope I never have to change my own oil after reading this but an excellent description on how to do it if I ever find myself in that bind. 

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 04.23 pm
    Nov 11, 2017, 04.23 pm
    A guy who does some work for me has bought an old BMW R80 so i said I would help him service it... so i searched youtube for tips on this machine. One video, changing the oil, the guy advised to lube the filter seal with old oil rather than new... said it would have less chance of the seal sticking to the bike when next removed? Its amazing how complicated we can make this  :745:

• Offline rpeters549   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    750
    • Topic Author

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Lowell, Or
    Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017, 04.31 pm
    Nov 11, 2017, 04.31 pm
    True, GavJ!

An oil change on the TTSE is really pretty easy and no different than a car or other bike save for item locations, a sealing washer, that kind of thing.  To a person who is just trying their first ever bit of maintenance- I hope it is helpful.

I took pics while I did the rear final drive oil change, too, and almost included it as part of this thread.  THAT is an easy job that I will do every year or two!
    Year round rider here!

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2017, 04.41 pm
    Nov 11, 2017, 04.41 pm
    Your write up is excellent, well done.
    I've lost count of how many times I have changed oil but I still google it when doing a new bike, you just don't know what you'll find in tips etc.
    I have been tempted to try and do a few youtube videos of stuff like this, you should do the same write up with the final drive oil... it's on my list of to do's.
    I really hate driving to the other side of the city to get overcharged for oil, filters etc at the dealer, links to the components on ebay would be good?

• Offline Alden

• Trophy Member  ‐    63

Offline Alden

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2014 TT SE ABS
    • City / Town: Claremore, Ok.
    Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2018, 07.57 am
    Aug 22, 2018, 07.57 am
    Concerning the big rubber washer on the filter..
    In the early seventies I changed the oil and filter on an old Ford engine. It was kinda dark in the garage and I didn't notice that the filter gasket didn't come off with the filter. So, put new filter up, tightened it snug. Filled engine with oil. started engine. Oil was squirting out between the gaskets. walked parts store for more oil. Twas lotsa fun cleaning it up.