Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Change final drive oil  (Read 4538 times)

Offline wazabby

• Trophy Junior
  • Hungarian Trophy!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy sE 1200
  • City / Town: Budapest
Re: Change final drive oil
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2020, 06:29:24 PM »
wazabby :  rpeters549 who posted the pictures of replacing the final drive oil. He said 3-4 ounces, and GavJ below that post converted to 115 ml.

From my bike, as you can see in the 1.5 liter Nestea/Fuzetea bottle, 240 ml came down, I even poured it in a measuring cup. And I filled it with a seringe first 100 ml, then 65, then 75 ml, and then it reached the bottom of the fill hole. As others mentioned, fill it until the level reaches bottom of the fill hole. Maybe if you don't rotate the tire while it's draining, then in those curved teeth, 30-70 ml of oil accumulates and stays there, I rotated tire several times.

*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

Who are "they" and where did that figure of 115ml come from ??

The Service Manual ( Page 1.33 ) states the Capacity is 0.17 Litres ( 170ml ).

« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:30:56 PM by wazabby »

Offline wazabby

• Trophy Junior
  • Hungarian Trophy!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy sE 1200
  • City / Town: Budapest
Re: Change final drive oil
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2020, 06:43:29 PM »
See my post reply to Coconut's question.

Do you rotate the tire whil it's draining? As I mentioned, that's just my thought, in the curved teeth there can be residual oil left. Try it rotating next time.
 My bike was on center stand, I used a seringe, first 100 ml, then 65 then 75 until I reached the bottom of the fill hole.

*Originally Posted by Rick505 [+]
I can't imagine how you could successfully add 240ml(ish) lubricant into the final drive unit unless the bike was on its side.   :002:  Even on the center stand, I was only able to install slightly over the amount called for in the service manual.  There was discussion at the time if there would be a difference with the bike standing upright vs. on the center stand with the rear wheel slightly elevated.

Final Drive

Rear Bevel Box Oil Castrol SAF - XO 75W/90 Fully Synthetic Hypoid Oil
Rear Bevel Box Oil Capacity 0.17 litres

tweedy-bunch