Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Test Ride, what a good surprise  (Read 3219 times)

Offline roundincircles

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600, Explorer, HD
  • City / Town: Letchworth
Test Ride, what a good surprise
« on: November 07, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
I have just had a ride on the Trophy which was surprising in many ways. Triumph seem to have produced a winner with good quality and character built in to delight touring types who want an agile bike as well.

First surprise was letting the clutch out and finding the bike shed all it's bulk and weight with easy balance and light as a feather steering. Compared to the Explorer it feels lower balanced ( amazing but that's how it feels ), lighter clutch, more evocative sounding with a lovely exhaust growl that entertains as the revs rise........it reminded me of a VFR 750 as it gained speed and on the over-run, a 'real' motorcycle engine.

The gearbox was perfect, snick, snick, click;unobtrusive and totally predictable with a light clutch. Front brake was good and effective with the back adding some linked power. I liked the front brake as it modulated well and threw the anchor out when needed.

The gear ratios seem perfectly matched to the engine which drives the bike on almost irrespective of revs. You can happily short shift or let it rev and enjoy the delightful soundtrack. Very flexible engine that will rev if asked. My guess is a lot of riders will get over 50 mpg with high 47 typical and 42 mpg when thrashed and I mean using the middle gears at high revs.

The fairing works well with the screen forcing the wind completely over my helmet. I am 6' 2" with a long back and had no problem with turbulence or wind blast but by dropping the screen you can get ventilation without turbulence.

The suspension settings made a difference to ride quality with comfort setting being particularly plush, normal giving a firmer ride and Sport good for Casey Stoner at Brands.....stiff. I would guess that fully loaded with a pillion these settings would be more accentuated.

The seat was very good, firm, supportive and as comfortable after two hours as any seat I have used.

Downsides. The audio is average quality when compared with my Big K but it works OK as did the Bluetooth.

What is a shock is how different this engine and box is to the Explorer and how it seems better balanced.

This is a very well judged package and bodes well for Triumph. The apparent quality is a step forward as well.

A very relaxing fun touring bike that can do it in the twisties with an engine full of character.

What more do you want out of a touring bike........another 3 cylinders. Oh get out of here!

Offline Goody

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger
  • City / Town: Pa
Re: Test Ride, what a good surprise
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:30:59 PM »
Nice review! Thanks.I am getting excited about its arrival here in the states!

Offline Happygolucky

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW K1600GT
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:52:30 PM »
RIC
   I have a K1600 GT just like your good self, how would you compare it against the Trophy? 

Offline roundincircles

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Happygolucky [+]
RIC
   I have a K1600 GT just like your good self, how would you compare it against the Trophy?

The Trophy seems lighter when doing U turns and parking, it is very agile at speed but so is the Big K. The screen is better on the Trophy.

The straight 6 has more flexibility and torque, without a doubt, but at a cost in mpg terms.

Ultimately they are very different bikes.

So I would be happy with the Trophy but equally happy with the BMW.

Offline Happygolucky

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW K1600GT
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
Thanks RIC,
    I have just been down to the local Triumph dealers to try and get a test ride, "no Chance, long waiting list" seams as though there is a great deal of interest in the Trophy, although I did manage to have a play with the functions between test rides, I have to say the bike looks really good in the flesh, so to speak, but I am a little bit disappointed with the complexity of the menu functions, :151: I think Triumph could have come up with something more user friendly! The big K1600 has the rotary selector for the menu sub sections which is by far a much better system, it just needed a bit of thought to come up with a simpler system and it is a shame as the rest of the bike has some really thought out nice little touches, cant wait to get that test ride.

Offline roundincircles

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 05:18:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Happygolucky [+]
Thanks RIC,
    I have just been down to the local Triumph dealers to try and get a test ride, "no Chance, long waiting list" seams as though there is a great deal of interest in the Trophy, although I did manage to have a play with the functions between test rides, I have to say the bike looks really good in the flesh, so to speak, but I am a little bit disappointed with the complexity of the menu functions, :151: I think Triumph could have come up with something more user friendly! The big K1600 has the rotary selector for the menu sub sections which is by far a much better system, it just needed a bit of thought to come up with a simpler system and it is a shame as the rest of the bike has some really thought out nice little touches, cant wait to get that test ride.

Yes, the menu system is complicated at first but if you latch on to the method it helps to navigate. So you scroll then press info to go into sub menu and then repeat. The BMW system is the same but, as you say, the wheel is easier to use. On either bike you have to stare at the screen so in that feature they are no different.

I think BMW have patented the inventive step of navigating menus with the wheel and press sideways function.......a vague memory from PR.

Offline Tbird

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Thunderbird SE
Re: Test Ride,
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »
Hi All,
Just test ridden the new Trophy SE with a top box with a pillion on board.Two hours in rain and greasy roads over Alpine type roads on Dartmoor then A38 and A30, so a good test. Very impressed with the engine, like a great big diesel , so much torque it was very happy in 5th at 30mph.I had downloaded the trophy handbook from the Triumph web site so was familiar with all the gizmos, so electric suspension easy to adjust.
Plenty of room for 2 ( total of 24 stone).
Had tested the RT last week and found it did not have the torque of the Triumph but still obviosuly a very good bike.

I have ordered one in silver with heated seats for the wife, ok, for me also.Bit of a wait though probably 01/03/13 for new reg.

Could do without the audio, did not try it, probably wont use it, would have prefered heated seats and grips, a la RT SE

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
Re: Test Ride,
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 05:14:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tbird [+]
Hi All,
Just test ridden the new Trophy SE with a top box with a pillion on board.Two hours in rain and greasy roads over Alpine type roads on Dartmoor then A38 and A30, so a good test. Very impressed with the engine, like a great big diesel , so much torque it was very happy in 5th at 30mph.I had downloaded the trophy handbook from the Triumph web site so was familiar with all the gizmos, so electric suspension easy to adjust.
Plenty of room for 2 ( total of 24 stone).
Had tested the RT last week and found it did not have the torque of the Triumph but still obviously a very good bike.

I have ordered one in silver with heated seats for the wife, ok, for me also.Bit of a wait though probably 01/03/13 for new reg.

Could do without the audio, did not try it, probably wont use it, would have prefered heated seats and grips, a la RT SE

Tbird,

I found your write up particularly interesting because I am on my second BMW R1200RT SE and I like it very much.

The Trophy interests me because BMW has quality issues that seem to stem from components made in the depths of China, and I used to have a '99 Trophy 1200 - which I also liked.  I hope Triumph components are still of good quality.

The only things stopping me from ordering a Trophy SE now are
1)   I haven't had a test ride yet (although my brother has, and I expect to like it !)
2)   I would have preferred something lighter than, rather than heavier than, the RT and
3)   Like you, I can't really understand why Triumph insist on fitting a radio and yet heated grips and seats are listed as cost extras.

Heated grips being extra on a bike like this makes as much sense as listing "comfort seats" as extras (BMW do the same !!)