Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Trophy maybe  (Read 1019 times)

Online tdragger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
Re: Trophy maybe
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:24:18 PM »
and just so you are aware, you can find brand new Trophys  for $12,999 at National Powersports.  http://www.nationalpowersports.net/inventory.cshtml

That's at least 10k less than an RT.

Depending on where you are in S Maryland, Annapolis or Richmond would be your closest dealer support.  I've had good experience with the Richmond dealer.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #42146

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 04:05:04 PM »
Hi Blue 42

I also have had BMW's and came to the Trophy from a GL1800.

I test rode the RT and the TT back to back and bought the Trophy.  :169:
It wasn't me !!

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »
I've had an R1200RT and a K1600GTL (which I traded on the Trophy), and neither was as right for me as the Trophy.  I haven't ridden a new RT with the dynamic suspension which should really make a difference in at least one aspect of the comparison, but for the price difference, never mind.  My 2013 Trophy has had a couple of minor warranty issues, fork seals when brand new, and tire pressure monitors, and that's it, and the newer ones don't even seem to have any of those issues.  Love it. :028:
BTW:  :400: to the forum.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:40:19 PM »
Blue,

Welcome. I have a 2013 TTSE with nearly 40,000. I've had to replace the tires a number of times and my fork seals leaked at about 25,000 miles. Other than that, no issues.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Blue42

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Maryland, southern
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 10:07:43 PM »
Thank you all gentlemen.
I plan to get on a Trophy ASAP. But the little info that's available indicates the engine may not be very durable. At least before recalls or at least over the first few model years.  I plan to post to ask about any 1200s that have gotten over 60,000 miles without a rebuild. The internet is barren when it comes to any information on questions like that.
I found the Motorcycle Magazine article on the 50,000 km teardown and evaluation. Other than the heads, which I know they fixed, the one other item that doesn't look so good is the main bearing wear. I've spun a bearing before in a Chevy and it destroyed the crankshaft.  It would cost you.

I've ridden a 1150 RT and wasn't crazy about it. I think I was spoiled with engines since my first bike was a Honda VFR and second was a Kawasaki Concourse 1400. Man. Sold both a couple years ago but I can still hear that whine as the Honda 800ci passed 5000, 7000, ...12000! Like silk, and plenty enough to scare me. And the Kawasaki--no engine I've ever ridden compared. FJR and ST1300 included. The torque curves looks similar, but I don't know how. 
Anyway, to me the RT twin is like a stone age thumper and the Goldwing is like a Camry engine. I rode a 955 Tiger and it was a little better. 
But I do all work myself, so as long as I can get the parts, I can take care of it. I expect this will mean buying some special tools, but I can do that. I keep stuff until it dies normally. Exception is a bike I don't like or that's uncomfortable. That ruled out my previous three.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2017, 02:22:13 PM »
I thought the same when I test rode an 1150RT, I can't understand how/why they become so popular,.....the 1200 version is suppose to be a bit different but by how much? It's still a flat twin, I can't imagine that it's remarkably different but I've never rode one.

On paper the fully equipped version ticks all my boxes but the many drive shaft failures and ABS pumps etc etc have kind of ruled that brand out to me.

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 11:02:30 PM »
Buy the Trophy, light years better bike and much better value than any BMW!
1978 Bonneville
2012 Thruxton
2014 Trophy SE
1976 Yamaha RD400C
1978 Yamaha DT400E

tweedy-bunch