Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear indicator failure  (Read 4528 times)

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Rear indicator failure
« on: July 04, 2013, 06:55:29 pm »
I've just had a problem with my Trophy that others might like to know about!
The left rear indicator bulb appeared to fail causing the indicator warning light to flash quicker than usual. So far - not really a problem! Just change the bulb!

However, when I checked the bulb there was nothing wrong with it! I did all the usual things like cleaning all the contacts and the bulb. While I was doing all this, I noticed that the indicator worked properly when the cable entering the bulb holder was held in a certain position, but it didn't work when it was let go. Even with my limited knowledge of electronics I realised that there was a internal break in the cable leading to the bulb holder.

I then looked more closely at the arrangement of the mini wiring harness in the light cluster and it soon became clear that the cable to the bulb holder was under considerable stress when the bulb holder was turned to lock it in to the light cluster. In the pictures below, the arrow points to the cable where the break appears to be. You can clearly see that the cable is under stress at this point!

There are some small clamps which hold the wiring harness, and it was obvious that not enough slack was allowed when one of them was tightened creating stress when the bulb holder was locked in place. This would have been done at assembly time. Until this problem I hadn't touched the rear light cluster - except on the outside for cleaning!

It might be worth having a look at your rear light cluster (it's very easy to get to!) and making sure that the cables to the bulb holders aren't under stress. Having no indicator is a real pain - especially at night, and if the cable is broken, it's a trip to the dealers for a fix!

:151:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Rear indicator failure
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 07:08:11 pm »
Thanks for the headsup CoJaW.... I will take a look over the weekend! :002:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 08:15:49 pm »
Yes will also check it out this weekend.

Offline towcutter

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Dallas
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:37:46 am »
Good catch CoJaW! Thanks for the heads-up.
"Anything you say mister..."

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 08:46:17 am »
 :460: Will check mine today - Cheers for the "heads up"  :047:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 06:24:21 pm by Coconut »

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:44:53 am »
Update!
Over the phone, the dealer accepts that there is a problem with the wiring, but Triumph want the dealer to see the bike before they accept a warranty claim. However, the dealer says that they are fully booked up and cannot see my Trophy for at least a week! I have 'persuaded' the dealer to request a new rear light assembly under warranty without seeing it. If Triumph play ball then changing the assembly can be done by me in about 30 seconds (I've had a bit of practice recently!)
I'll report again when there's progress!

:435:

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:06:56 am »
Amazing :233: Triumph and the dealer are happy for you to be without a functioning turn signal for at least a week, more if you include the waiting time for the new light assy!!!
Well done for getting the dealer to order one in. Triumph need to get a grip with their customer care. They should start by believing their dealers especially when the dealer accepts that there is a problem to the customer. I can understand the dealer being busy at this time of year, but they should be able to spare 5 minutes to look at the light assy, especially if you could remove it in 30seconds and show them yourself!!!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 12:44:36 pm »
Well I had a look at mine and there appears to be enough slack to not cause a problem, at least the wire is not pulled tight over the plastic housing..
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch