Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front brake caliper bolts.  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Eldersburg
Re: Front brake caliper bolts.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:15:28 PM »
Right. Just a possibility, as the bike was purchased used from a PO (previous owner). Who know what previous owners do/did with used bikes/vehicles. I've seen my share of strange things! :)

Cheers,

Steve

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »
I always put a dab of grease on everything before re-assembly. Though it has been pointed out to me that using grease when torqueing bolts skews the torque value somewhat. Which I take to mean that the bolts may be over-tightened as the grease will make them easier to turn.

My problem with the callipers was corrosion of the casting itself around the pad retaining lugs between the pads. I had one calliper replaced under warranty (post warranty period) because this had got so bad. However, I was disappointed to discover that the new calliper and pads had been assembled totally dry, and I recently smeared copper grease over all the rubbing surfaces.
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »
In reply to Jubeeprince, as far as I am aware, the previous owner had all maintenance work done done by the dealer.

All minor maintenance work that needs doing,I do myself, new brake pads fitted last year, back caliper to be checked this weekend, as I've had a caliper seize on my last bike (Tiger 1050) resulting in a new caliper being required.

So as mentioned before no compounds on the caliper mounting bolts it is, with the caliper bolt problem, and an allen bolt snapping on the front mudguard mounting, it might be worth just loosening/tightening all the bolts that require removal for new tyres ect on a periodic bases to stop any problems occurring.   :084:

Offline Grubloon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Altrincham, Cheshire
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
Well what fun I've had, bought two taps and a die to clean the threads on the calipers, also bought a helicoil kit just in case.  :084:

Threads cleaned up ok on the bolts and in the caliper, snapped bolt drilled out on mudguard mount, and thread re cut, wheel put back and calipers fitted, all bolts torqued up to correct values and no bolts pulled out, so helicoil kid not required yet,

Also had a look at the rear caliper today and all is well, only down side was while the caliper was off I noticed that a lot off the paint on the caliper mounting arm and were the abs sensor is mounted has pealed off, leaving some very furry alloy, so for the time being I have coated it anti corrosion fluid, just to keep the oxidation at bay until it gets a bit warmer and I can get some paint on it.

So from now on I will check the caliper bolts, in October and again around March after the winter, and also the rear caliper will be checked at the same time.  :028:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 09:01:12 PM »
Thanks for the update Grubloon  :028:

Good to hear you have it all sorted   :047:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
The Service Manual doesn't call for any Loctite or similar compound on the Caliper Bolts,
which should be tightened to 50 Nm.

I'm wondering if that figure could be a mistake, the rear caliper uses the same size bolt head but that states 40 Nm.

I've just had my calipers off to have a proper look at the pads, I tightened the bolts by feel/experience then grabbed the torque wrench, 40 seems more than tight enough to me,...I've not taken the fronts to 50 in fear of stripping the threads. Any thoughts chaps?

Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Eldersburg
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 06:20:51 PM »
Perhaps the force is different/greater on the front brake, hence the difference in torque values? It could be a typo, wouldn't be the first time.

The older Triumphs from Meriden had a pretty severe typo for the fork cap nut torque value on the front wheel. It took a number of people busting the fork caps to figure it out, but that difference was 10 ft-lb. At 10Nm, you're looking at ~7 ft-lb. Maybe split the difference and torque it to 45Nm or just leave it at 40Nm and check periodically.

Steve

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:35 PM »
Good suggestions/ideas there Steve.

I just thought that I'd post my findings on this thread, after reading the first post,......might save others finding stripped out threads in the future.

tweedy-bunch