Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Picked up bike - did not go as planned!  (Read 8399 times)

• Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Towcester
    Picked up bike - did not go as planned!
    on: Jan 14, 2018, 02.50 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 02.50 pm
     :233:

Hello everyone.  In order to reduce my 5-6 hour round trip commute on trains or the car into SW London I thought I would get another bike. Yesterday,  After much research and deliberation I left my house at 8am to take a long (several actually) train ride to pick up my new bike, a Triump Trophy SE from Darlington in Durham.  Helmet nag and huge bag full of kit and had a great journey on a Virgin train, buffet car and a decent film on my ipad and felt like a proper road trip! I got there for about 1.30, had a nose round the shop to make sure I had made the right choice with the Trophy, bought some new boots and then fitted my TomTom to the bike.  Had half hour of playing (I mean learning) all the buttons and off I set.

1st impressions were I loved it!  I get onto the A1, screen up to the highest, Heart FM on and was going great.  Estimated 3 and a bit hours ride home and should have been home for about 7.  Then it got dark and it started to go wrong...

The first thing I noticed were people flashing from behind.  Then eventually someone pulled alongside and mouthed through the window "YOU HAVEN'T GOT ANY LIGHTS ON".  I knew I had headlights but i pulled over to the hard shoulder and guess what, no tail lights and after a full check, no break lights and no horn.  SO off I set with the hazards on and 20 miles later (now pitch black) i get to some services and with the aid of my phone torch, google and a small tool kit i took with me just in case i started to take the bike apart.  Fuses are all ok, swapped around just in case but could not sort.  Found something on the forum abut a similar fault caused by the ignition.  Couldn't find it today.

I called the dealer and respect to them, they were now closing but they came out in a big van, had a look and said they would recover the bike and give me a lift to the station again.  Unfortunately by this time, as we were an hour away from the dealer and train station, on checking train times I would not have got home until 0930 the next day!  So after much research, we found a train that went from York and he took me there, still in all my motorbike kit.  Got changed on the train and eventually walked into my house having spent 200 on train tickets, 100 on boots, 20 on food and utterly cheesed off.  And very tired!

So, no bike yet.  They have to sort the fault out, I hope it is not the start of things to come and is a one off.  The bike was not re MOT'd has had loads left and this probably would have picked the fault up.  They claimed it was checked but my guess is that they missed it.  My last bike was an ST1050 and this felt so much better.  Definitely (bar the saga) made the right choice. Hopefully...

If anyone can point me to any similar issues on here would be great.

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Re: Picked up bike - did not go as planned!
    Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03.11 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 03.11 pm
    Oh dear, not good on the dealers part.... I suppose you should give them the benefit of doubt that the lights were working when you left the showroom.

Haven't heard of anything like this on the forum before but hopefully someone will post if they have any ideas.

Hope you get your bike back soon, will be interesting to see if the dealer compensates you in any way, at least you have a flavour of how good the dealer is as he came to your rescue (as they should).

• Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 03.26 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 03.26 pm
    Exactly.  They could have just ignored the phone! The guy did say to keep my receipts for travel so I hope they compensate me for that.  He did say it always seems the people that have come miles and miles that have any problems.

While I was in the services I googled it and saw a post about someone that had the same problem and that it turned out to be an ignition barrel problem.  But then every lock had to be replaced when that was replaced to avoid 2 keys.  The fact that the horn, tail light and brake lights, which are all on the same fuse had stopped working and there was power at the fuse indicates something in the loom somewhere.  I confess my electrical knowledge isn't great!

• Offline chememsu

• Trophy Member  ‐    26

Offline chememsu

• Trophy Member
    • City / Town: Simpsonville, SC
    Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04.13 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 04.13 pm
    Eddie,

What model year TTSE?

• Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04.18 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 04.18 pm
    2012.  Registered 20th July 2012.  Is this going to be one of the ones with the ignition wiring problems by any chance?

• Offline GarminDave   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1297

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: South Shields
    Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04.21 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 04.21 pm
    I did not know there was a Triumph dealer in Darlington?

Such a shame as you were having a good day up 'till then.

I always use the mnemonic POWDER when getting on my bike but especially on a new or borrowed bike.

P= Petrol
    O = Oil
    W = Water
    D = Damage
    E= Electrical
    R = Rubber

Hope it works out for you as I'm sure you'll like the bike, I did think a bit of a wide bike for commuting in London, having said that I rode a lot in London and mostly managed filtering on my TTSE.

Love. light, and kindness,

Dave
    Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

• Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Eddie.eagles

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04.31 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 04.31 pm
    Hi Dave,

I know, kicked myself.  I got too carried away with playing with all the buttons to do my proper checks.  Lesson learnt and all that.

Its just a bike dealer, not triumph.

My commute is mainly M40 and M25 and only a bit to the office in Wimbledon so I had to balance the comfy longer journey and limited filtering and vice versa.  I was going to just pop the panniers off but reading the manual on the train home realise there is only 2 cm's difference! Luckily it's not city traffic so should be ok.  I will have my music!

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 04.36 pm
    Jan 14, 2018, 04.36 pm
    Sorry to read about your mis-fortune.  Do you know any of the bike's history?  Here in the states one can buy an 'insurance writeoff' vehicle that is NOT 'salvage titled'.  Don't know how that works in the UK but Coconut had an interesting experience with his previous Trophy after crashing it.  The bikes manufactured in 2012 are 2013 issues, the first of this generation.