Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Gas cap lock.  (Read 5384 times)

• Offline brenchley   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    544
    • Topic Author

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2021 Honda Gold Wing
    • City / Town: NE Florida
    Gas cap lock.
    on: Jan 29, 2018, 12.59 am
    Jan 29, 2018, 12.59 am
    Something new and rather surprising this morning when I went to fill the gas tank.  I couldn't unlock the tank cap!  The key would fit into the slot, it just wouldn't turn.  The key still worked in the ignition, panniers and trunk.  Moderate weather, no rain. About 2 1/2 years and around 38,000 miles into ownership.

Since I was only a couple of miles from home, I returned.  To cover all bases, I tried the other key, it didn't work in the gas cap either.

I ended up spritzing the key slot with WD-40 - just a spritz and running the key in and out a few times.  It turns very smoothly now and unlocks with no problem.  Examining the interior side of the cap, I noted nothing out of the ordinary.  I guess whatever was gumming up the works was internal to the lock.

Anyway, all appears good now.  Has anyone else had a problem with their gas tank cap lock?  :187:

Former 2014 Blue TTSE
    IBA #69644

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
    Re: Gas cap lock.
    Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2018, 05.37 am
    Jan 29, 2018, 05.37 am
    No issues with the gas cap tumbler on the Trophy but have had issues with the tumblers on my current and previous Sprints.  I prefer the spray chain lube Chainwax for everything, including fuel cap tumblers.  Also use it around the house and on my 4 wheelers.  Penetrates well and lasts far longer than WD-40 and similar products - just be sure to clean up afterwards.  Thinking the ethanol fumes may affect the tumblers?  Can't say but I've switched to 'no ethanol' (E0) fuel exclusively as of last summer in all of my vehicles.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2018, 08.37 am
    Jan 29, 2018, 08.37 am
    Don't forget the underside of the cap, a bit of lubrication on the sliding lock bar, if that binds, you may suspect it's tumbler binding when it's not.

I don't think that the Trophy runs well on that grade of petrol by the way, reports on here of engine problems??
    I've used it a couple of times but didn't think that the engine sounded right,...regular fuel is expensive enough so I've stuck with that.

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11.11 am
    Jan 29, 2018, 11.11 am
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Don't forget the underside of the cap, a bit of lubrication on the sliding lock bar, if that binds, you may suspect it's tumbler binding when it's not.

I don't think that the Trophy runs well on that grade of petrol by the way, reports on here of engine problems??
    I've used it a couple of times but didn't think that the engine sounded right,...regular fuel is expensive enough so I've stuck with that.

Is ethanol blended fuel even available outside of NA?  It's no prize, except for corn farmers and data shows it takes more energy to produce than pure gasoline - thinking everyone knows the rest of the downsides, or should.  No advantages what so ever except to provide income for corn farmers and the backwards 'renewable energy' agenda.  'Pure gasoline' is at a premium and often not easy to find in my area.  87/89/90 E0 can be found area wide but we're down to one 93 E0 retailer locally.

Since I'm now retired, my vehicles probably get fueled once every 2-3 months, maybe less, so it's not an onerous expense.  They run noticeably better and get measurably better fuel mileage.  Read recently where Ducati is blaming ethanol blended fuels on fuel sensor failures.  Read plenty of stories on TriumphRatdotnet where owners reported their fuel filler caps were 'difficult' and/or 'sticking' with some forcing the keys and breaking them off as a result.  They all admitted to using ethanol blended fuels with the predictable speculation.

• Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro  ‐    200

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
    Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01.35 pm
    Jan 29, 2018, 01.35 pm
    Ethanol may be the culprit, it's highly corrosive. That's one of the reason I use E0, which is readily available in my area.   

The following link shows how to maintain the gas cap:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102020
    An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
    IBA #60953

• Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro  ‐    247

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • Trophy Pro
    Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01.54 pm
    Jan 29, 2018, 01.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by lemuriano [+]
    Ethanol may be the culprit, it's highly corrosive. That's one of the reason I use E0, which is readily available in my area.   

The following link shows how to maintain the gas cap:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102020

An interesting article although I don't see myself going to all of that trouble unless I was restoring a high dollar classic bike!  Poor kitty...

Decades ago most bike dealers stocked a graphite lubricant named Dri-slide.  Works well on lock tumblers, control cables, etc. and lasts a long time - still have a partial can of it in my shop (bought in Jacksonville) - now sold in more modern containers!  Not cheap at $38.95 for a 3 container set.

Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 01.56 pm by SprintST1050

• Offline Rick505   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline Rick505

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Albuquerque, NM
    Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09.47 pm
    Jan 29, 2018, 09.47 pm
    I've been using this in all my locks, vehicles and house doors.  Seems to work fine but not sure about availability outside USA.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2018, 09.53 pm
    Jan 29, 2018, 09.53 pm

tweedy-bunch