Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Anyone had the key get STUCK in the trunk lock?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
Re: Anyone had the key get STUCK in the trunk lock?
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 06:53:04 PM »
The parts I sprayed were: Under the top box, the electrical connector that slides in/out.  Lubed where it slides.  Also sprayed in where the tab locks the handle.  Nothing in the lock.  The only thing I have used in the lock (keyhole) is that stuff made for it as a lock de-icer with lube.  As it has mineral oil in it I will probably go back to a graphite powder lube.

Nobody tried to break in to it as I can tell.  No damage.

Just seems weird that every time I move the key to the release position it gets stuck there and puts up a fight to even move the key. 
Year round rider here!

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by rpeters549 [+]

Just seems weird that every time I move the key to the release position it gets stuck there and puts up a fight to even move the key.

Trash in the tumbler or it's broken.  I've had no issues with the Chainwax after cleaning up the overspray - minimal anyway when using the specified red plastic tube.  A bit cheaper and more available than liquid graphite lubes like Dri-Slide.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 10:10:29 PM »
Considering the bike has been on the road barely 16 months and has barely 12k on it I want to doubt breakage, but I will spray the tumbler out just in case. It does rain a lot here and I ride all year long. Maybe some dirt worked its way in.
Year round rider here!

Offline skiprat

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Middlesbrough
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
I had trouble with the top box lid , started by the lid needing to be eased over to the right before the handle would lift and got progressively worse till the key did get jammed in the lock a couple of times. The lock mechanism is easily removed and I could see the problem was that the right hand catch was slightly of the end of the hex shaped bar that turns with the handle and moves the catch, it wouldn't stay in place for long after repositioning it and would then give problems.
Solved it with a tack weld and its been perfect since.

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 01:56:24 AM »
Just realized I never posted my resolution.  I went ahead and sprayed the lock/keyholes themselves and that did the trick!  No issues since!
Year round rider here!

Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro
  • Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 03:26:30 AM »
Must have been friction and the lube got it done.  Of course, those tumblers are made with soft white metal.  You can easily stick a screw driver in them and twist it open.    They are not durable and may have a minor flaw.  If it continues and the tack weld is not the answer, you should just replace the locking cylinder.
Yes, I am a BIKEAHOLIC and No, I don't need help!

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 04:23:00 AM »
FWIW, I always blue masking tape all the keylocks and switchgear before I wash the bike. Shooting them with a strong water jet is probably one of the worse things you can do to mess them up.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 05:52:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Volfy [+]
FWIW, I always blue masking tape all the keylocks and switchgear before I wash the bike. Shooting them with a strong water jet is probably one of the worse things you can do to mess them up.

Good advice! But I never use a strong jet of water any way and I avoid hitting the locks. But I ride year round to include the rain. Quite a bit of it. I bought the trunk after the bike and even from Triumph- perhaps it sat while. In any case, all is good.
Year round rider here!