Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Broken Antena, anyone?  (Read 6659 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
Broken Antena, anyone?
« on: July 06, 2013, 01:53:32 am »
A while ago I read of someone (I am sorry but I don't remember the person) who had broken the antena putting on a bike-cover...yeap, yeap yeap...I join the club or broken antenas.

Here is what I did:

eBay, and search for rubber duck antenna. I found the shorty in the pic below. It sells as a 3 inch, but the actual length is about 5" all the way to the bolt. It comes with several screw combos and I found the one that fit the TT.

I turned on the radio to see if it worked. BTW, this was the second time I turned the radio on; once when I first got the bike to see for myself, exactly, what is a radio on a bike? and this time now after I replaced the broken antenna. Bigger than shetta, the radio worked perfectly fine with the shorty. I am not sure if it would effect reception around town. But at my house it worked fine.

Story telling: I had the same issue on my GL. Broke the antenna with the cover, replaced it with a rubber duck, and it also worked fine. Again, I am not guaranteeing reception all over the city cause I don't practice radio-listening while on my bike. I do practice women watching occasionally if the opportunity presents itself

If you wanna know where I got it be glad to post, just ask...
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline RAS

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
Re: Broken Antena, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »
Although I have the standard bike with no antenna, that looks a neat solution to your accident! Plus there will be no chance of it flapping around in the turbulance if not in just the right position.  :002:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »
I have come close to breaking my antenna putting the cover on in the garage....

I will have to look for one of these shorty aerials.... looks like a great solution.... especially as I rarely use the radio anyway!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:57:00 am »
Why do you need a cover in a garage? Got pigeons in the roof?!

I rarely use the radio itself on my SE as there is too much talk and and way too many adverts. I use my iPod (well I "borrowed" wife's actually so I can use mine in the car!) but still find the radio traffic alerts useful.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:38:19 pm »
Well the bike is in a garage but it is a standard garage construction I.e. not all plaster boarded out so I find that dust and bits fall from the rafters as the roof flexes.

The cover just goes on for those unfortunate times when I am not able to get out and about on the bike as much as I would like

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 04:44:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
Well the bike is in a garage but it is a standard garage construction I.e. not all plaster boarded out so I find that dust and bits fall from the rafters as the roof flexes.

The cover just goes on for those unfortunate times when I am not able to get out and about on the bike as much as I would like

Its your bike dude and you do as you like  :017: :017:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:46:58 pm »
Oh I will! LOL

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 06:29:25 pm »
I put a cover on mine to keep the damn cats from making their bedding on my seat overnight...seat all full of cat hair in the am. They also piss on the tires to mark their territory.

HOWEVER, I found out that mouses eat some of the electrical wiring...something about them they like. I have seen pics of electrical wiring chewed up by mouses. I am not sure if that only happens to Japanese bikes (may the workers spill sushi on them in the assembly line), anyways, since then, I have been hoping the cats hang around the garage more often. But now the creatures are scare sh#tless to come around since I had been throwing stuff at them every time I saw them. Life does not arranges itself well sometimes.
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

tweedy-bunch