Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Cheap helmet/bike camera  (Read 4026 times)

• Offline earthman   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    2121
    • Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Cheap helmet/bike camera
    on: Feb 11, 2018, 10.28 am
    Feb 11, 2018, 10.28 am
    Is there say a sub 50 one?

I'm no motor vlogger etc so it doesn't have to take top notch video or even have a microphone as such, just something to look back on after a scenic ride or maybe useful in the event of a road incident.
    If it's a clip to the helmet type, I'd prefer cylindrical rather than a box type thing.

I've seen cheap car dash cams, maybe adding one of those to the backside of my sat nav mount would be an option?
    Being behind the screen and powered via the bike battery.

Any ideas/info on this sort of thing chaps?

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Re: Cheap helmet/bike camera
    Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2018, 01.23 pm
    Feb 11, 2018, 01.23 pm
    I'm no help earthman but I too would be interested in something like that without spending 300 to 500 dollars.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2018, 10.04 pm
    Feb 12, 2018, 10.04 pm
    I've just been looking at the Innovv C3 snake camera, I'm thinking that a bike mounted/ignition wired camera system maybe the better option for me, no messing about with helmet or recharging batteries.
    Looks like it maybe hard to find now, it's been discontinued and it's double the 50 I were thinking.

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2018, 06.54 pm
    Feb 13, 2018, 06.54 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    I've just been looking at the Innovv C3 snake camera, I'm thinking that a bike mounted/ignition wired camera system maybe the better option for me, no messing about with helmet or recharging batteries.
    Looks like it maybe hard to find now, it's been discontinued and it's double the 50 I were thinking.

They have the C5 now. The C3 had a lot of problems. I have the K1, but it hasn't been operational since I had my bike in for a warranty repair and when putting it back together, the techs messed up something with the camera's power supply, and I haven't had time to take everything apart and see what's up.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2018, 07.53 pm
    Feb 13, 2018, 07.53 pm
    *Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
    They have the C5 now. The C3 had a lot of problems. I have the K1, but it hasn't been operational since I had my bike in for a warranty repair and when putting it back together, the techs messed up something with the camera's power supply, and I haven't had time to take everything apart and see what's up.

I've seen the C5 but at 180 it's just way too much than I want to pay.

• Offline thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    140

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2018, 06.38 pm
    Mar 25, 2018, 06.38 pm
    Couple options - what about a Gopro Hero2? Put the remote-control module on it, then drill a small hole in the side to match the USB plug and wire power in.  Hero2 isn't very popular - I see them for sale cheap on other forums. I did one up that way and it's a decent solution, provided you take your time on the USB hole drilling. There's also homebrew how-tos online for disassembling the USB cable end, bending/cutting/etc to fit inside the case, then running wires out. I didn't care enough to go to that much effort :-)

Something like this would also work: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/70mai-smartest-dash-cam-featuring-voice-control#/

I have a Hero2 (two, actually) and a DriftHD. Have two of the 70MAI cameras coming - may hard-wire one onto the TT, in which case I'll get rid of my Gopros and keep the Drift as a backup.

• Offline earthman   gb

• Topic Author

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2018, 09.19 pm
    Mar 25, 2018, 09.19 pm
    Thanks for the suggestions but if I were to fit a camera to the bike or helmet for that matter, I'd prefer a cylindrical one with the lens at one end, like that C3. :002:

• Offline thogland   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    140

Offline thogland

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Wasilla
    Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2018, 11.44 pm
    Mar 25, 2018, 11.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by earthman [+]
    Thanks for the suggestions but if I were to fit a camera to the bike or helmet for that matter, I'd prefer a cylindrical one with the lens at one end, like that C3. :002:

That's what the Drift cameras are like, although I don't see them show up used very often.

tweedy-bunch