Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Brake fluid tester  (Read 462 times)

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Brake fluid tester
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »
I've been looking at the pen style/AA battery type of brake fluid tester, not just for use on my Trophy but other vehicles that I have to work on, anyone recommend a particular one?

This tester works by heating the fluid, looks good but I bet that it's too expensive for the home mechanic. :012:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Brake fluid tester
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:26 AM »
That's an excellent video Steve - explaining WHY it is so important to change Brake Fluid
at least every two years, but you're right - the "Boiling Point" Tester shown
costs around £300 so will be too expensive for normal "Home" use.

Cheaper types of Tester are available, but when you consider that if you ARE
going to change the Brake Fluid yourself, you will need an After Market device
such as DealerTool - to open the ABS Pump valves -
for the old fluid to be completely flushed through and removed from the system,
it's probably just as good an idea to forget about Testing,
and simply ensure that it IS changed at the recommended intervals  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »
Yeah  £300 is a bit too steep, I have the dealertool so no problem there.

Offline Red

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
These sort of tests always worry me. I have seen garages merely syphon out the the master cylinder and then fill with fresh fluid and not change the fluid in the rest of the system. As brake fluid does not circulate testing the fluid in the master cylinder would then give a pass result, although the fluid in the rest of the system could be contaminated with moisture. The only way to do a correct test is to crack open the bleed nipples and test a sample which is pumped out - clearly the fluid immediately behind the piston is subjected to the main source of heat. Frankly, rather than go to all this trouble and the expense of buying test equipment it is cheaper just to accept that you change the brake fluid every 2 years.

Online earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 02:57:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Red [+]
These sort of tests always worry me. I have seen garages merely syphon out the the master cylinder and then fill with fresh fluid and not change the fluid in the rest of the system. As brake fluid does not circulate testing the fluid in the master cylinder would then give a pass result, although the fluid in the rest of the system could be contaminated with moisture. The only way to do a correct test is to crack open the bleed nipples and test a sample which is pumped out - clearly the fluid immediately behind the piston is subjected to the main source of heat. Frankly, rather than go to all this trouble and the expense of buying test equipment it is cheaper just to accept that you change the brake fluid every 2 years.

Good points you make in your very first post, welcome to the forum.

tweedy-bunch