Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New member  (Read 3080 times)

Offline gerritvc

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2003 & BMW GS
  • City / Town: Tielt
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:41 pm »
Dear all,

I'm new on this forum and I'm based in Belgium.
I recently sold my old 2003 Trophy, since I would like to get something new. Although I'm not yet convinced to go for the Explorer or the Trophy. (or the new R1200GS LC, since i still have another 9 year old  GS). I made a trial ride with the Explorer and it's really a great machine, but i don't like the looks too much (black, black...black.. :151:). Since I never go offroad, I as well could consider a new Trophy, which looks great and for sure for longer travelling is probably more suitable, but I'm afraid of the extra weight. I'm doing at least 3 to 4 long trips every year, so extra protection and comfort could be welcome,  but I always travel alone (on the bike I mean). I intend to go for a Trophy trial as well, in the next few weeks.
Has anyone been trying both Explorer and Trophy ?? and  :187:
Does the electronically adjustable suspension really makes sense if you always ride under same circumstances (the only difference might be the luggage during longer trips, but nowadays i simply adjust the preload on the rear monoshock, what can be done on the Trophy as well).
As you may read i'm still   :084: , but at least both these forums (Explorer and Trophy) are a great asset, in answering many questions !!
Cheers, :002:
Gerrit

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 08:46:49 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   :400:  I considered both bikes.   I had been waiting for years for Triumph to come out with a shaft drive.  I came close to buying the Explorer when it first came out last year.  But I decided that I wanted a true touring bike with full fairing, luggage etc.  So I waited and I am glad I did.  I think if you are looking for a true touring bike you will lean toward the Trophy.  But only you can decide after trying both.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 08:59:13 pm »
Hi Gerrit,

welcome to the Forum. As you can probably gather we are slightly biased towards the merits of the phenomenal Triumph Trophy but we will try to be as impartial as possible in response to your queries!

The general consensus of opinion seems to be that the Trophy is a comfortable, well equipped, well handling mile muncher. Tank range  should be easily 300 miles and if you are gentle you could theoretically get close to 400!!! Protection and stability generally considered excellent though some people have noted that the stock screen has a small problem in heavy rain with some riders noticing a vortex behind the screen that causes rain to drip on the clocks.

although the weight on paper is considerable, again everyone is surprised by the handling and manoeuvrability of the beast. I test rode the R1200RT (Non LC) as part of my decision making process and in my opinion the Trophy has the sweeter engine and infinitely better handling.

The TES is great for being able to adjust your suspension on the fly. Yoy are right that often the load will not change i.e. most of the time solo rider, no luggage. But being able to swap between sport and comfort while on the go is wonderful and you DO notice the difference!

I am sure others will pitch in with their comments, but all I can say is book yourself a test ride..... once ridden, you will be smitten! Everyone else is!

Happy choosing!

Kevin

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 11:24:35 pm »
I've ridden both and own an 800 XC. I think it really comes down to what you want the bike for. If you are going to travel extensively and on  paved roads you can't beat the trophy for comfort. The weight becomes unnoticeable as soon as you take off.. its easy to turn in a short radius at low speed, handles great on the twisties and your butt doesn't hurt after a long day. Good luck with whatever you choose. Ride safe
Tom Brennan

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 02:32:22 pm »
Welcome Gerrit,

I considered upgrading from my Tiger 800XC to an Explorer.  I didn't care for the ergos.  When I saw that a new Trophy was due out, I got very excited.  I'm glad I waited.  The Trophy meets all my needs for a great handling sporty tourer.  The adjustable suspension is great for me.

Good luck in your search. 

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:40:29 pm »
*Originally Posted by gerritvc [+]
Dear all,

I'm new on this forum and I'm based in Belgium.
I recently sold my old 2003 Trophy, since I would like to get something new. Although I'm not yet convinced to go for the Explorer or the Trophy. (or the new R1200GS LC, since i still have another 9 year old  GS). I made a trial ride with the Explorer and it's really a great machine, but i don't like the looks too much (black, black...black.. :151:). Since I never go offroad, I as well could consider a new Trophy, which looks great and for sure for longer travelling is probably more suitable, but I'm afraid of the extra weight. I'm doing at least 3 to 4 long trips every year, so extra protection and comfort could be welcome,  but I always travel alone (on the bike I mean). I intend to go for a Trophy trial as well, in the next few weeks.
Has anyone been trying both Explorer and Trophy ?? and  :187:
Does the electronically adjustable suspension really makes sense if you always ride under same circumstances (the only difference might be the luggage during longer trips, but nowadays i simply adjust the preload on the rear monoshock, what can be done on the Trophy as well).
As you may read i'm still   :084: , but at least both these forums (Explorer and Trophy) are a great asset, in answering many questions !!
Cheers, :002:
Gerrit

While my bike has been in the shop I've had an Explorer on loan. Truth is that although the same engine and gearbox exempt for slightly different gearing they ride totally differently. Horses for courses has the saying goes both built with different aspects of wonderful lifestyle we lead.
You need to make your mind up as to what is the main purpose of the bike then you can choose the bike that fills the main criteria. Test ride until you are sure which will be the best otherwise it could be a costly mistake.
The choice is your's just saying it as it is  :005: :005:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Online RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy & Tiger 1
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:43:01 pm »
Explorer or Trophy? It's the perfect shortlist to choose from  :152:

Having test ridden the Explorer around a year ago, I waited for the Trophy to come out as I wasn't immediately taken by the Explorer and certainly not its looks. However, the looks did grow on me over time...

Eventually, I went to the launch of the Trophy and took it for a test ride a few days later. I really wanted to like this bike, but the seat was too high off the ground and the saddle too wide for me to handle it safely. However, when I took the Explorer out again, I really gelled with it this time and it felt like a 125 after the Trophy - so much more compact and easy to handle.

I chose the Explorer and it's made a brilliant tourer - with a seat and riding position that's still comfortable after 300 miles and a fairing that keeps all the rain off my trousers for at least 20 minutes (that's the furthest I've ridden in the rain without waterproofs, so I don't now how far I can go before a soaking!) yet it's still capable of being a complete hooligan when the chance arises  :028:  :001:

These are both great bikes and (unless you've got 28" legs, like mine  :015:) I'm sure you could be very happy with either. You've just got to take a good long test drive on both before you know which is right for you.

John.

PS: Make sure you see one of the new pearl white Explorers before you dismiss them for being too black!  :001:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:44:55 pm by RedMerle »

Offline gerritvc

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 2003 & BMW GS
  • City / Town: Tielt
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 09:55:54 pm »
Thanks for your posts.
For sure it's obvious that i need to go for a long test ride.
I'm pritty tall (1.87 m), and on my previous Trophy I had to implement a number of changes on the fairing to have acceptable leg space. Therefore the GS is offering me great ergonomics; but it was comparable on the Explorer, although the seat could even be higher in my case, but for sure I need to raise the handlebar with a ROX or similar. In my case this will play an important roll ! :002:
In 3 weeks I'm on holidays and for sure i will find the time for a longer test ride. I'll keep you posted

Krgds
Gerrit

PS: yes RedMerle, I've seen the pearl white, and indeed this already could be the option, although i still like to see the wheels in grey instead of black (with even a slight bit of dirt on that, it looks VERY dirty, and I'm not a Harley biker: max. 50 km drive a day and 5 hours cleaning  :007:)

tweedy-bunch