Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TTSE Fork Seals  (Read 6516 times)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
Re: TTSE Fork Seals
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2018, 04:03:58 am »
earthman, you just have to get out more. In summer it becomes more obvious. I'm sure you'll catch on.  :821: :158:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2018, 11:23:36 pm »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Anyone thought about how they would support the bike once the forks are removed? Got a proper stand that goes under the headstock/frame maybe?
Apart from that, maybe a solid ground anchor to tie the rear of the bike down,.....or an engine hoist/beam to hang the front of the bike from?

Other than that I guess that it's remove the exhaust pipes and use a jack/stands,....I really don't fancy relying on those thin walled pipes to take the weight of the bike.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-hybrid-headlift-stand-suzuki-gsx-s750-triumph-yamaha-fz-07

You can have the bike on the front stand and the bike's own center stand and that keep both wheels off the ground at the same time.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 07:54:04 am »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pit-bull-hybrid-headlift-stand-suzuki-gsx-s750-triumph-yamaha-fz-07

You can have the bike on the front stand and the bike's own center stand and that keep both wheels off the ground at the same time.

Have you got one of those stands for your bike? Certainly looks like it were well thought out/designed well from the start.

Online Merlot

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 05:16:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by 1675 [+]
Have you considered doing part of the job yourself then taking the complete fork legs in to a dealer for them to replace the seals? I was thinking if you removed the front wheel and mudguard at home, took the calipers off and dropped each leg out of the bike then took them to the dealer to replace the seals using his special tools. I haven't had to do the job myself but was curious if this was an option for an owner who is mechanically minded? May also be a good time to regrease the head bearings if it is stripped this far?
Hi 1675, nice thought however it's not the forks themselves I'm thinking of.  It's the wires that go into the top of each fork leg for the electric adjustment I don't want to damage.  I don't know how easy or difficult they are to take off.  Once I'm passed that, I presume they are much like any other USD fork to do a seal change on.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 07:28:42 pm »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
Have you got one of those stands for your bike? Certainly looks like it were well thought out/designed well from the start.

I don't, I have a "regular" front fork stand (which engages the bottom of the forks near the pinch bolts with two fingers on each side) because I haven't had to do anything to the forks yet (I've had the stand for many years before I had the Trophy). I've had the bike on the fork stand and bike's center stand while I've had both wheels off (to change tires). Perfectly stable. Assuming the headstock stand fits the Trophy (Revzilla seems to indicate it does), I don't see how it would be any less stable. The headstock stands are made specifically for changing forks/working on forks.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 08:28:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by Merlot [+]
Hi 1675, nice thought however it's not the forks themselves I'm thinking of.  It's the wires that go into the top of each fork leg for the electric adjustment I don't want to damage.  I don't know how easy or difficult they are to take off.  Once I'm passed that, I presume they are much like any other USD fork to do a seal change on.

Looking at the manual, looks like the plastic cover just lifts off, there's a terminal block that pulls apart under that.

Offline Pea Fritter

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1200 Trophy
  • City / Town: Portsmouth
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2020, 08:50:49 pm »
Not wanting to start a new thread regarding Fork seals. Has anyone on here worked on them ?

I need to replace the TES fork caps any advice or guidance would be gratefully received.

Adrian
Adrian
Yamaha FS1E - Honda 250 Superdream
Suzuki GSX400f - Trident 900 - Trophy 1200
Currently riding Trophy 2015SE in Red

Offline THRASHED

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: San Dimas
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 04:39:52 pm »
Pea: I, too, would like to know this.  I've done seals in the past but not on this bike.  I didn't even notice the leak until I took my dual-sport rear spring in for work and the tech guy was checking out my TTSE and noticed a bit of oil.  I'll try the seal-cleaning tool first because I know several people who have used them successfully, but if that doesn't work I'd like to tackle the job myself.