Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Replace tpms battery  (Read 14301 times)

Offline Big Chris

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crowborough
Re: Replace tpms battery
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 11:15:47 am »
Just by way of an update: I got the tyres off and removed the TPM's from the rim only to find that some animal had already mullered them to #### They'd prised open the casing without removing the torque screw and broken one of the PCB's so I went hunting for a new pair and came across this if anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Triumph-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-A9640169-TPMS-Kit/123741923891?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

And yes, that is £129.99 for a pair.

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2021, 11:30:25 pm »
I know it's been a long time since this thread was touched, but it's the most appropriate one so I'm ignoring the warning about starting a new thread.

The TPMS sensors on my 2014 SE have been working for 7 years now on the original batteries.   I was getting a very occasional "TPMS LOW BATTERY" warning at times, so when it was time to replace the front tire again, I decide to replace the TPMS battery in the front wheel.

Two reasons - One, I hate replacing a $140 logic and sensor unit just because the CR2032 battery in it wore out, and Two, because if I installed a new sensor, I would have to make a 250-mile round trip to the dealer, and spend some unknown amount of money, to get it registered back to the computer on the bike.

So I spooned off the front tire, used a hex key to take out the TPMS from the wheel, making sure I saw how the spring and the tire valve fitted, and followed Woody's instructions as to how to take it apart.   DO NOT FORGET the Torx screw that holds the TPMS halves together, it's invisible under the serial number label.

Once the two plastic halves are apart, the battery and logic IC come out easily.    A quick touch of the soldering iron to the battery connections and the battery was freed up.

I took it to my local battery store, and for $3.65 the dude spot-welded on two tabs to the new battery that were identical to the ones on the original battery.   You have to do some precision trimming with a pair of nail scissors to get them cut and bent JUST right to fit back to the connectors - took me about an hour to get it right, but got it jigged up, soldered back into place, and lovingly fitted back into the plastic housing.

You HAVE to make sure you don't short the two sides of the battery together while you're doing all this, there are lots of opportunities to do that.   I slipped a little piece of shrink wrap over one of the tabs, because it is only a fraction of an inch (like 1/32") from shorting against the other terminal (half of the battery) when it's in position.

Clipped and screwed the housing back together, attached it back to the wheel (making sure that the 90 degree valve stem was pointed the right way), took the wheel into the shop who had ordered the tire, and they mounted it free because they didn't have to take off the old one and dispose of it.

Took and ride and the front tire pressure display came up like a good 'un.   I'll take $3.65 and a couple of hours time over $175 and a day wasted on the road any time!!

Lannis

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2021, 05:55:46 pm »
That's good to hear Lannis, my bike is of the same age, batteries/warning message still going,.....due to the job being a pain in the rear end to do, I'm putting the job off until these batteries actually die.

Online T800XC

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2021, 07:47:39 pm »
*Originally Posted by Lannis [+]
...and Two, because if I installed a new sensor, I would have to make a 250-mile round trip to the dealer, and spend some unknown amount of money, to get it registered back to the computer on the bike.
Not if you use TigerTool to reprogram the new TPMS sensor into the immobiliser.

That said, I'm an advocate of replacing the batteries and have done so several times in recent years.
...we are reviewing telemetric information in our mission simulator and will advise...

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2021, 08:08:46 pm »
Yes, Tigertool is THE tool to do that. :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies