Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Another 2014 head replacement and then some...  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
Re: Another 2014 head replacement and then some...
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 06:14:51 AM »
I see that two owners in this discussion have cylinder head issues with their 2014 models.  Wasn't the head problem mostly confined to the 2013 model.  Now I'm concerned with my 2014 having this issue too.  Was there a serial # break on the cylinder head; thought I read that in a prior thread?  I haven't found that thread again to verify.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »
The Cylinder Head "upgrade" only applied to Trophy models with VIN Number up to 602960,
after which the Modification was already incorporated.

The very old Topic from November 2013 runs to 65 pages and can be foiund here :

Engine up-grade e-mail from Triumph.

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 02:38:19 AM »
Thanks Coconut;
If I would take a little more time to research for the answer, I wouldn't have to bother you for an answer.
I do appreciate that you are willing to assist without complaint.   
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline Byrdock

• Trophy Member
  • Byrdock
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Angier,NC
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 04:12:51 AM »
So I hooked up Dealer Tool this weekend and tried to activate heated grip icon, but no luck. Guess I'll have to tear into the glove box and see if I need a shorting plug.

Can you get a shorting plug from Triumph, or can I make one myself?

Took her for a ride today. Good thing I had waterproof boots on cause she leaks.
Now back to the dealer so they can find out where the antifreeze that's blowing out by the brake pedal is coming from. :013:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »
Hi Byrdock,

As explained previously, if the Dealer is "Locked Out" of the ECU,
then that probably needs to be resolved first, as I doubt that the
DealerTool device would be able to access the ECU either.

Please provide an answer to this question :

When you connected the DealerTool, was it able to "Read ECU Data" ? ?

IF the Dealer says the ECU is "Locked" they would need to contact and consult
Triumph Service in the UK to discuss this, and will hopefully be able to obtain
an Unlocking Code to unlock the ECU.

I would double check though, that you have actually got Heated Grips fitted on your Trophy !

When you switch them on, even though the Instrument Panel Icon does not appear -
do the Grips get hot ? - Note that they only work when the engine is running !
The Icon only appears when they are switched ON, and is removed from the display
a few seconds after they are switched off.

They are not fitted as standard equipment, though the switch IS fitted to the handlebars
of all Trophy models, making some Owners believe they are fitted when they are not !

You can gently and carefully peel back the rubber grip
from the switch cube end, and see if there are any Heating element wires underneath.

It there are no wires you don't have Heated Grips fitted !

With regards to the "Shorting Plug", this is included with the appropriate Heated Grip Kit,
and is not available to buy as an individual item.

Once you've confirmed whether Heated Grips are fitted or not, if they are -
then you don't need to "tear into" the Glove box - it is only secured by two screws.
One on the outside and one on the inside.

After removing the two screws, lift the glove box up and towards the rear of the bike
to free the two front locating pegs from their rubber grommets.
( You may need to turn the handlebars fully left and squeeze the clutch lever to fully lift it out ).

In the bundle of wires underneath the Glove box you will see the cable
that feeds the Glove Box power socket, and there will be a short length of wire off that cable
which has the Shorting Plug socket on it - early Trophy models had it, later ones didn't.
It will be fairly obvious as to whether you have it or not.

IF you have Heated Grips fitted, and the Shorting Plug socket, then there should be a Shorting Plug
inserted in the socket, which has a small loop of wire that bridges two pins inside the socket,
as an alternative to the proper Shortign Plug.

If there is a Socket but no plug, ( there may be a Blanking Plug in the socket ), then a short length
of suitable size wire can be inserted into the socket to bridge the connection.
You will also see two small white connector blocks into which the two Heated Grips
are connected, IF you have Heated Grips on your Trophy.

Hope that helps !

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Online brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by Byrdock [+]
So I hooked up Dealer Tool this weekend and tried to activate heated grip icon, but no luck. Guess I'll have to tear into the glove box and see if I need a shorting plug.

Can you get a shorting plug from Triumph, or can I make one myself?
 :013:

Byrdock, on Bike Bandit the part number for the shorting plug is T2502509. The link is,

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2014-triumph-trophy-se-heated-grip-kit/o/m155995sch807420

I'm not affiliated with Bike Bandit nor SSC (below) but with the part number in hand, you should be able to order the shorting plug from anyone that sells Triumph parts.

I had originally ordered all of the heated grips parts individually from Street Stuff Cycle - it used to be cheaper that way.  I don't know if they're still on the forum or not.  They used to be.

However, if you want to fashion your own shorting plug it's not difficult to do - you just need to short the pins.  And, as Coconut mentioned, it's easy enough to remove the glove box - it's just two screws.  If you're careful you probably don't have to remove the connectors to remove the box completely.  My experience was that there was enough slack in the harness to pull the box out far enough to install the shorting plug.

:002:

IBA #69644

Offline Byrdock

• Trophy Member
  • Byrdock
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Yes I do have heated grips and heated seat from original owner.
I know it's not hard to get to wires, just frustrated with dealer.

Coconut, dealer tool  connects to ECU and gives ECU data, but doesn't give bike's VIN.
Checked that I have no codes and reset service reminder while I was connected.
And activated heated grip icon and cycled bike off and on, but it didn't activate icon.

If you have the new heated grip wiring that uses shorting plug, I'm guessing that using the shorting plug is going to be the only way to activate the icon since everyone that has used it has their icon come on automatically.

Now off to dealer to hope they just forgot to tighten a clamp or something easy to fix.

Thanks guys. :152:

Offline Byrdock

• Trophy Member
  • Byrdock
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 01:26:58 PM »
The dealer says Triumph diagnostic is locked out because someone has flashed the ECU and Triumph said unless you hook to whatever flashed the ECU the only way to fix it is to replace ECU.
After I get her back on the road, I'm going to go to the dealer that originally sold bike and see if they can connect to ECU.

Dealer tool connects but doesn't read VIN, which according to DT means ECU was replaced and is not unusual.

tweedy-bunch