Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New with a 2017 TTSE and help needed  (Read 884 times)

Offline Helixx

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Africa Twin
  • City / Town: Frederick
New with a 2017 TTSE and help needed
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:12:48 AM »
Hello and thank you all for sharing all your valuable experience. I just purchased a new 2017 TTSE. So far, great for riding in the cold. Best wind protection ever. Great handling bike for such a heavy tourer, love the motor, plenty of power for my purpose. I got about 500 miles on her thus far mostly in 32 - 40 F. However; horrible seating position for me. It kills my lower back. I really need the bars to come up at least an inch.

I purchased the Genmar risers but I am flabergasted how anyone has these installed without any issues. I tried to instal them and find the cables so tight that I can't move my handlebar without hearing horrible noises coming from various cables and lines rubbing and squeezing. I removed them out of fear it would be dangerous or damaging. What am I missing? Did you find there is slack somewhere i didnt see especially on the right cables and lines crossing to the left side of the frame? As much as I like her, I cant ride her for any longer then an hour like this.

I read some add a 6 mm spacer under one side only, tilting the bars 5 degrees forward therefore raising the handlebar ends by 30 mm which to me is a most desirable outcome however not a mechanically responsible option to me unless there is a solid wedged plate fully supporting all 3 mounting points.

Not sure what to do. I need this resolved soon or she will have to go.

In the event there is no acceptable solution: She comes with 3 years (1 extra year added) warranty and heated grips. Offers accepted. Will consider trade for a FJR1300ES 2016 and up or a Super Tenere SE 2016 and up. Either of these bikes I know from experience will accept bar risers. I installed risers on every bike I ever owned without any issues. My back requires it, is what it is and shame on me for not doing my research well enough in advance. No matter how great the bike, if she doesn't fit or can't be made to fit to me, she is useless to me.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:58:27 AM by Helixx »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: New with a 2017 TTSE and help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 08:48:50 AM »
Hi Helixx and :400: to the Club !

Tight wiring around the Headstock area has been extensively discussed within the Forum,
and needs to be avoided as the strain can result in wires being pulled out
of the base of the Ignition switch, often needing a complete new Ignition Switch to be fitted.
( The fitting of Bar Risers would be likely to invalidate a Warranty claim for this ! ).

I understand that the cabling can be "eased", but this needs the Fairing,
and probably the fuel tank, to be removed to gain access and reposition the wires.

With regards to the actual Riding Position, you may be aware
that the U.S. Export model of Trophy is shipped with the "low" version of the seat,
whereas in the UK and Europe there is a "Standard" Height seat.

All versions of seat have two positions - Low and High, achieved by moving
a steel locating bar underneath the seat base, to the alternative position.

It may be worth experimenting, depending on your Inseam, with your exisiting seat
in the alternative position, and seeing whether your Dealer has a UK "Standard" Seat
that you could try, to see if these make any difference without adjusting the Handlebars.

This Topic on Seat Heights and Ergonomics might also be useful :

Effects of Different Seat Heights on Rider Ergonomics !

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 08:51:27 AM by Coconut »
Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 F800GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:38:44 PM »
 :400: Helixx, I am of little help concerning the tight wiring, however I had a problem with seat hurting my tailbone on longer rides.  Even though I have only a 30 inch inseam I raised the seat (low) to the high position which seems to raise the front of the seat more than the rear and removes the pressure from my lower back.  I also added a sheepskin cover and that helped even more.  The bar position seems to fit me rather well so the above may or may not help you. 

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:25:40 PM »
Not sure if fabricating some bevel washers the right angle and thickness would help solve the problem and negate the misalignment issue of the bracket/top yoke or not.  Might be worth a look.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro
  • Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Helixx.  Personally, I don’t think bar risers should ever be used.  No bike is engineered to accept bar risers.  Invariably, they will place stress on the cables and wires.  It is not possible to gain slack as the length and placement of the cables and wires is highly engineered for many reasons.  You will likely find that the bars will pull back to center after being extended fully to the right or the left when on the center stand after such an installation.  This is problematic.  Riding a motorcycle into the turns (which is the best part of riding) involves counter steering and weighting much of which comes naturally and without specific purpose.  Any amount of tension will negatively effect your natural turning of the bike.

In addition, bar risers dramatically modify the ergonomics and geometry.  The shape, length and height of the bars is designed to maximize the riders ease of use and interface.  As a sport tourer the whole bike’s geometry is designed to promote leaning into the turns as it is not a tour or cruiser frame.

All of this became very apparent to me when I bought a used 13’ FJR.  Bar risers had been installed.  I found the bike’s steering and handling constrained and unnatural if you will.  I was very disappointed, as the bike seemed dramatically different than other FJRs that I had ridden.

After significant effort, I removed the bar risers which involved taking apart all of the controls and switches.  I had to break the switches down into their smallest parts to fit them through new cable guides in order to return the bike to stock condition.  They just cut the steel loops (cable guides and removed them) to get the slack they needed which allowed the cables and wires to spread out from the center of the headstock, which is potentially hazardous.

Also. I found that raising the seat height eliminated the low back pain that I was experiencing on the TTSE.  I also had significant low back pain but raising the saddle had a big positive effect.  I intend to get a Russell All Day seat after the riding season, which I am confident will help even more.  You have to send them the stock seat to construct the new seat.  So, I do not want to be without the bike for 4-6 weeks now while they make my seat.

This is just another point of view.  Morover, in life and in riding, I think we should be leaning forward into the turns!  Good luck!
Yes, I am a BIKEAHOLIC and No, I don't need help!

Offline Helixx

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 03:27:05 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I tried the seat in the high position and it does feel better indeed. Downside is I barely can get my feet on the ground and it asking for trouble. Will have to ponder this one for a little while. Maybe I can have the Genmars shaped and angled at the local machine shop to 2 mm front and 8 m back. Then it would not require and cables to be extended beyond their reach whilst still lifting and even bringing the bars forward a little.

Offline Helixx

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 12:52:11 AM »
5 degree angle. Took me a couple hours of grinding and sanding after cutting one of the gen ars in half. Perfect fit now.

Offline WI13Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Milwaukee
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:32:33 PM »
Glad that you were able to make the bike fit.  It was the best fitting bike for me.  Most of the others had to long of a reach for me. I think that you will find it an enjoyable bike if you can get it to fit.

tweedy-bunch