Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Avon Spirit ST Tires - Initial Review  (Read 539 times)

Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Candler, NC
Avon Spirit ST Tires - Initial Review
« on: March 18, 2018, 04:59:30 AM »
I had a set of the Avon Spirit ST tires installed yesterday.  The Spirit ST are the next model after the Storm 3D X-M and will ultimately replace them.  The cost was $350 for the tires, mounting and balancing.  About $270 for just the tires themselves.

I've put about 300 miles on the tires in the past two days.  I spent all day today in the mountains on twisties in very slow speed curves and high seed curves.  And just so happens it rained right before riding so I had wet roads for the first 1.5 hours.  And since we got snow and ice on Wednesday and Thursday nights, some of these mountain roads still had sand or salt on them.  Basically I got to experience about any type of road condition today for the new tires to handle.

I am impressed with the grip and fell of the tires.  I bought the bike two weeks ago and it had the original Pirelli Angel's on them but they obviously not been taken care of and were badly squared off.  These tires were really good at keeping grip in all situations.  Even in the wet sand they were clearing away so they could stay attached to the road.  Even when they did slip a little on the larger patches of sand (like a two foot patch here and there) they bit immediately back to the road.

The pure wet roadway didn't bother them at all.  It wasn't directly raining and I just had to worry about puddles and the overall wet roadway but they held firm in all situations.  I could clearly see my tire track in the roadway behind me and I did not feel any give in the curves where were all high speed.

Rode in both Sport and Comfort modes and the tires gave great feedback in both modes.  I also got the bike over a good bit  on both sides and it stuck to the road really well. 

After the initial couple of days I would highly recommend these tires.  Besides the really good price (my local dealer matched the best price I could find on-line - $100 cheaper that Michelin PR5's) they seem like there were built for this bike.

I plan on doing an update at the 1000 and 3000 mile mark on the tires to see how they work out...

Hope this helps...
Sean...
Former US Submariner (Sub-marine-er - US, Sub-mariner - UK)
2013 Trophy SE
2013 Tiger 800

Online Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Avon Spirit ST Tires - Initial Review
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:11:13 AM »
It sure does; thank you.
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Avon Spirit ST Tires - Initial Review
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:12:19 AM »
Excellent Review - Thanks for sharing  :028:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

tweedy-bunch