Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: 20k service  (Read 4405 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    20k service
    on: Mar 29, 2018, 03.46 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 03.46 pm
    Afternoon all.

I called into my local, 5 mins away, motorbike dealer, they sell Yamaha and Suzuki, but service most makes. I asked the man on the service counter, just out of interest if they could do the 20 thousand service, ie valve clearances, re shimming.
    He told me they could but would be unable to check the carb balance as they don't have the software on their equipment, but valve clearances, and normal servicing no problem.
    I asked him how much it would cost, his reply was around 300 and they need the bike for the day :156:  :114: :164:
    My question is,
    A, do I let them do it
    B, do I bring the service forward, bearing in mind I will soon be putting over 4 thousand miles on it, the millage is just short of 17 thousand at the moment.
    C, is the carb balance normally done on the major service.

I trust the dealer to carry out the work, I had my last bike from them, they wouldn't let me have the bike until they was happy, they hide nothing, they have a two -three week waiting list before you can get a bike in to be looked at.

I would rather trust this none Triumph dealer with my pride and joy, than the shower of sh#t I bought the bike from in the first place, ......or pay Triumphs extortionate price.   

Paul Wilko

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10014

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: 20k service
    Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2018, 06.15 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 06.15 pm
    Hi Paul,

The Trophy doesn't have any "Carbs" !

Presumably they mean "Throttle Bodies" - which are listed on the Schedule
    to be checked and adjusted every 10,000 miles.

Every 2 years ( regardless of mileage ), Brake & Clutch fluid should be changed.

Both of the above operations need connection of either the Triumph Diagnostics software,
    or an after-market device such as "DealerTool" to access the ECU.

In addition to checking and adjusting the Valve Clearances, there is a one-off process
    only required at the first 20,000 mile service, to adjust the Camshaft Timing.

There is a Service Schedule in the Owners Handbook, showing the full list of what should be done,
    but note that it contains some errors !

A Service Schedule with known errors removed or corrected is available in the Forum here :

Servicing Data, reference Info & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 13, 2020, 07.40 pm by Coconut

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2018, 06.26 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 06.26 pm
    Two things: 1) having the 20k mile service done at 21k miles isn't a big deal at all. 2) The valve clearance check takes a long time to do it correctly, so 1 day isn't out-of-the-ordinary for a shop to need the bike. The actual work is several hours, but it's not like they're going to work on it the moment it hits their shop, so they tell you all day, seems fine to me.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro  ‐    261

Offline GavJ

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: R1250RT
    • City / Town: Strathaven
    Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2018, 06.39 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 06.39 pm
    Wilco, I'm at the same mileage, just over 20k, I don't know the age of your bike but mine is a 2013, I just bought it last summer. I enquired about the Triumph service as well and responded to the gent at the dealers F%k oFF. Taking the piss is a phrase that comes to mind. I decided to do it myself.....
    Then a thought occurred, the guy I bought the bike off said that it had the modified head fitted? If it's a new head why am I checking the valves? I mailed Triumph who confirmed that the head was fitted at 18k miles and I should leave the valve clearances until 40k.... result  :046:

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2018, 10.55 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 10.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Hi Paul,

The Trophy doesn't have any "Carbs" !

Presumably they mean "Throttle Bodies" - which are listed on the Schedule
    to be checked and adjusted every 10,000 miles.

Every 2 years ( regardless of mileage ), Brake & Clutch fluid should be changed.

Both of the above operations need connection of either the Triumph Diagnostics software,
    or an after-market device such as "DealerTool" to access the ECU.

In addition to checking and adjusting the Valve Clearances, there is a one-off process
    only required at the first 20,000 mile service, to adjust the Camshaft Timing.

There is a Service Schedule in the Owners Handbook, showing the full list of what should be done,
    but note that it contains some errors !

A Service Schedule with known errors removed or corrected is available in the Forum here :

Servicing Data, reference Info & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

Cheers  :821:

Cheers Coconut, maybe I should just bit the bullet as and when the time comes and put my hand deeper into my pocket and let Triumph look after it.
    Such as oil and filters etc, simple stuff I can do, but anything major I'll hand it over to the experts.
    I have the ability to carry out more in depth work, but as i have said, at the moment no garage / workshop at the moment, but I'm working on that one  :002:
    Paul Wilko

• Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member  ‐    93

Offline Nudger

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Dartford. Kent
    Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2018, 09.07 am
    Mar 30, 2018, 09.07 am
    Hi Paul,

I have 2013 Pacific Blue bike and just had to 20k service done at my Triumph Dealership, having read your comments, I thought I'd chip in.

My 20k service and MOT came to 750, which is a lot of money.  I bought the bike from this dealer and always use them. I know them and they know me, I love my bike (too much according to my wife!) and I trust them to work on it. On more than one occasion they have gone out of their way to help; on things like getting TPMS replaced free of charge by Triumph despite the bike being out of its warranty period. They were also very helpful when the bike had to go back to the factory.

For me, using a dealer I trust to look after my bike is important. 

Enjoy your bike.

Brian

• Offline redcap0006   ie

• Trophy Pro  ‐    194

Offline redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT SE
    • City / Town: Athlone
    Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10.02 am
    Mar 30, 2018, 10.02 am
    The big service also requires a cold engine which is why mine overnight ed at Triumph Dublin last year. Way too much to be checked and done for my skill set. Not cheap the big service but riding out from the official service agent instills confidence, especially when heading to Europe a few days later. Peace of mind and a properly service bike-good start to a trip  :028:

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2018, 10.09 am
    Mar 30, 2018, 10.09 am
    *Originally Posted by Nudger [+]
    Hi Paul,

I have 2013 Pacific Blue bike and just had to 20k service done at my Triumph Dealership, having read your comments, I thought I'd chip in.

My 20k service and MOT came to 750, which is a lot of money.  I bought the bike from this dealer and always use them. I know them and they know me, I love my bike (too much according to my wife!) and I trust them to work on it. On more than one occasion they have gone out of their way to help; on things like getting TPMS replaced free of charge by Triumph despite the bike being out of its warranty period. They were also very helpful when the bike had to go back to the factory.

For me, using a dealer I trust to look after my bike is important. 

Enjoy your bike.

Brian

Morning Nudger,

The Triumph dealer I know and trust, is Jack Lilley in Ashford Middlesex. I have had three bikes off them now, 2 x Daytona's and 1 x Sprint.
    WHEN I have the need to use them for any work I have always found their workmanship to be very good, they have won the Triumph dealer, best workshop etc etc a few times now.

I did live quite near to them, but now live in the Birmingham area, where i was born, I have a couple of Triumph Dealers "close" to me, around 45 mins in either direction, who I'm informed are good, but i think when the time comes for the biggy I will go back to Jack Lilley's, ride down there with the wife, stay in the premier inn down there over night then ride back the next day, the wife want's to go back into London anyway, so two birds killed at the same time.
    I will do that after my trip to Bulgaria, that will take the bike to about 21-22K .

Paul Wilko.
    Paul Wilko

tweedy-bunch