Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Eastern Spanish Pyrenees and Barcelona  (Read 5029 times)

• Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102
    • Topic Author

Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 15 Trophy
    • City / Town: NJ
    Eastern Spanish Pyrenees and Barcelona
    on: Mar 29, 2018, 05.46 pm
    Mar 29, 2018, 05.46 pm
    I'm very excited about an upcoming tour, solo riding from Barcelona through the eastern Pyrenees and back starting Oct 8 this year.  Renting a BMW R1200RT and following an itinerary by IMT Bike in Barcelona, I'll be seeing Seu D Urgell, Bielsa, Vale de Tena, and Cardonna, staying in tour-booked paradors and hotels.  If time permits, I'd like to take a side trip from Bielsa to Lourdes, going through the tunnel.  Not sure of the riding time required.  I'd be interested in any suggestions, do's and dont's, and comments. 

Living at 42 degrees latitude, I think the weather should be similar, except for cooler nights and shorter days. 

I've ridden 30k on my SE, but I have no time on an RT.   I suspect it's riding characteristics might be similar to an SE, but any feedback on this would be appreciated.

I think one forum member rode from the UK to southern Spain this past January; I'd appreciate their comments on the roads, Spain's traffic laws, etc.

J

• Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro  ‐    135

Offline Vansflyer

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE, Thrux R
    • City / Town: In the Middle
    Re: Eastern Spanish Pyrenees and Barcelona
    Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2018, 09.27 am
    Apr 02, 2018, 09.27 am
    Hi.
    I ride to Sitges (south of Barcelona) and back a few times a year for work & have just spent a week based in Montanya riding the mountains. Spain is not a worry to ride in apart from the big cities where it can get a bit "busy" to say the least... be careful in the city's and expect a scooter to come from behind and overtake you at 100k in traffic. ... then another 20 will follow him / her, all dressed in open face helmet shoes and Chinos.
    Toll junctions on Motorways can get lively with four lanes going into 2 or 12 booths. I got hit earlier this year by a little s@&t going into a toll junction and he came from nowhere and hit my front tyre, by some miracle I stopped on, so keep the eyes WIDE open! Take a tank bag or bum bag etc to put a credit card in and the Toll ticket, you may plan on avoiding all the Freeways but in Spain lots have tolls and some are very short distances between them. Open roads are lovely, but they do have speed cameras so stick to the limit in towns and + 10% in the open and you should be fine. The mountains are fantastic but can get cold so don't under dress, depending on the time of the year you are going?
    Enjoy the trip, it's a lovely country.

• Offline nervouswreck   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    776

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 TTSE
    • City / Town: SWFL
    Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2018, 12.03 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 12.03 pm
    I've never ridden in any other country except Canada, interesting.

• Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro  ‐    213

Offline greenduck1966

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: trophy se
    • City / Town: hornchurch
    Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2018, 01.34 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 01.34 pm
    I did do a tour of the pyrenees last year.I did the picos mountains and these are very good but i must say i personally would say the french swiss and italian alps are better for me.A lot more choices of routes that are tight and twisty where i found the pyrenees fast and open.
    assumption  is the mother of all f~~~ups

• Offline RocketSteve   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    604

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
    • City / Town: Bideford
    Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2018, 02.51 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 02.51 pm
    BEWARE of where you park the bike!

Some Hotels and Police Stations etc. will "ZAP" the immobiliser and you'll have to push the bike out of range... or ask the Hotel your booked in to - to switch their ZAPPA off while you book in...
    To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

• Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102
    • Topic Author

Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04.00 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 04.00 pm
    RocketSteve

Can you tell me more about the "ZAPPA"?  What is its purpose? City hotels or everywhere?

J

• Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro  ‐    102
    • Topic Author

Offline barab63

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04.05 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 04.05 pm
    Vansflyer

Thank you for the detailed feedback.  I'll be riding from October 8th through the 16th.  Any idea of temperature range and possible rainfall?

J

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    970

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2018, 04.47 pm
    Apr 02, 2018, 04.47 pm
    Beginning of October will be starting to get chilly on an evening and in the higher places too. Pyrennes are lovely as well as the Picos if you can fit it all in. Central Spains flat areas can become a bit monotonous and that's the time to take to the motorways to get to the good bits. Try looking for some of the famous Tour de France climbs in the Pyrennes as these can be good fun. Like a previous post said, cities can be a bit "exciting" with the taxis/scooters/locals all wanting your bit of road and if you are hiring they will think you are a local because of the plates. I'm sure you will enjoy it, even on the bike you are going to be riding!
    Last Edit: Apr 02, 2018, 04.49 pm by 1675

tweedy-bunch