Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Oil change  (Read 3371 times)

• Offline Wilko   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    622
    • Topic Author

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
    • City / Town: Rowley Regis
    Oil change
    on: Apr 05, 2018, 09.53 pm
    Apr 05, 2018, 09.53 pm
    Well seeing as I was back from work early I decided to give the bike a fresh engine oil and filter change, I don't know if it's just me, but I had to remove the crash bar and remove the two screw on the underside of the fairings, plus the dome head bolt at the bottom right of the fairing to allow movement / clearance of the fairing, to remove and refit the filter.
    While that was draining out, it was quite dark too saying it was only suppose to of been changed in September,  I also drained off the oil from the rear hub, I was happy to find this was very clear / clean with no particles showing on the magnet.
    Having done that, I then replaced the sump plug, fitted a fresh filter, and it took exactly 4ltr's of oil, showing just below the top mark on the sight glass, then followed by a nice little 30 minute ride.
    One thing I did notice was, before I took it off the main stand, I did start it up and let it tick over for a few mins, right or wrong, I put it in 1st gear, I was slightly alarmed at the noise the shaft / bearing /crown wheel was making, but nothing when the weight was on it, maybe it was because it wasn't under any load / weight.
    Anyway, all seems to be good now.
    Paul Wilko

• Offline john348   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1524

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
    • City / Town: Farndon
    Re: Oil change
    Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2018, 10.11 pm
    Apr 05, 2018, 10.11 pm
    I got mine picked up and taken to the dealer as i thought the back end was going to explode with the noise and vibration when running on its centre stand.  The reason I was checking was a strange pulsing when taking off from a standstill .

In fact it was the clutch causing the pulsing.

• Offline cecilt   gb

• Trophy Pro  ‐    309

Offline cecilt

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Edinburgh
    Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2018, 07.45 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 07.45 am
    I don't think you should run the motor in gear while the rear wheel is off the ground and with the traction control being active. It is completely unecessary (there is no chain to clean and lube). You could ruin your drive shaft, and probably confuse the electronics into oblivion as well.
    cecilt

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2018, 07.47 pm
    Apr 06, 2018, 07.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by Wilko [+]
    I don't know if it's just me, but I had to remove the crash bar and remove the two screw on the underside of the fairings, plus the dome head bolt at the bottom right of the fairing to allow movement / clearance of the fairing, to remove and refit the filter.

To change oil, I take off the left-side R&G bar, and remove the one screw from the fairing near the filter. With just that screw removed, there is enough give in the fairing to pull it out to make room for the filter egress/ingress. So far, I haven't cracked the fairing or messed up the paint.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member  ‐    55

Offline BubbleheadSpook

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 13 Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Candler, NC
    Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2018, 09.58 pm
    Apr 06, 2018, 09.58 pm
    Pulling the fairing out how far to make sure you get something under the filter to keep the oil from running over everything???

Sean...
    Former US Submariner (Sub-marine-er - US, Sub-mariner - UK)
    2013 Trophy SE
    2013 Tiger 800

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    941

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #5 on: Apr 07, 2018, 12.20 am
    Apr 07, 2018, 12.20 am
    Everything will be a bit "clonky" if you run the bike in gear whilst it is on the centre stand. It is due to the necessary clearances required in the drivetrain components (primary drive, gearbox, shaft x2, rear bevel) and can sound quite alarming. so either don't do it, or ignore it as it is unimportant. Just ride the bike and you wont hear the noises

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2018, 07.13 pm
    Apr 10, 2018, 07.13 pm
    *Originally Posted by BubbleheadSpook [+]
    Pulling the fairing out how far to make sure you get something under the filter to keep the oil from running over everything???

If there's room to pull out the oil filter, there's room to put something under it to keep oil from dripping. I have found that draining the oil first and being quick about the actual oil filter removal results in very little oil spilled that's quite easy to clean up. YMMV.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline fluxxcomp   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    91

Offline fluxxcomp

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: San Francisco