Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] My first Saddlesore 1000  (Read 6842 times)

• Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: New Plymouth
    My first Saddlesore 1000
    on: Apr 05, 2018, 11.15 pm
    Apr 05, 2018, 11.15 pm
    The alarm went off at 12.30 am 31st March 2018.  I pretty much jumped out of bed with excitement!

In the back of my mind there was a niggling voice “Are you sure you can do this? 1000 miles or 1600km in 24 hours that’s a long time on a bike, are you sure?” I wish that voice of reason would bugger off!

I have had many bikes and done a lot of riding and club racing over the years, but they have all been maybe a max of 7-8 hours in a go with a good night sleep to follow, nothing like 24 hours nonstop.
    I put a lot of planning into the trip picking my route out on Google maps and pinpointing my stops for fuel and receipts for verification with the Iron Butt Association (IBA).

I researched the subject a lot, especially on the IBA website.  There is a lot of information found there and it was quite interesting, especially regarding fatigue and sleep deprivation management.
    The one thing that stuck in my mind was the advice PLAN YOUR TRIP & RIDE YOUR PLAN.  That was my main objective: stick to my plan!

After a good breakfast, I mounted my good stead (2014 Triumph Trophy) pulled out the driveway and away I went.
    I fuelled up at the Mobil service station on Leach St New Plymouth, gave the bike a quick once over and went into the office to pay.  The attendant signed and witnessed the start time.  With that, he wished me luck and commented: “see you in 24 hours”. “I hope so” I muttered to myself!

The start was going well it was a crisp clear morning, slightly cool with a full moon.  I could see the outline of Mt Taranaki on my left as I headed down around the coast through to Opunake.

As I was admiring how good my lights were, especially on high beam, there was a flicker of colour out the corner of my eye.  A very large black and white cat decided it was time to test fate and run out in front of me! I am confident he was nursing a sore tail as it was that close! Silly Ol’ putty tat. Whether or not the full moon had something to do with it, but there were lots of small critters darting across the country roads in the early hours of the morning.

I seemed to have the roads pretty much to myself apart from the odd dairy milk tanker which was great as I could keep my average speed up and on target. Stopped at Mobil service station in Foxton 04.30 am, had a light bite to eat & drink from my stash in the top box, quick stretch & back on the bike just over ten minutes for the stop.

I traveled down to Levin then around, and back up behind Palmerston North, over saddle road past Te Apiti wind farm on my way to my next stop at Waipukurau Mobil service station.

Around Dannevirke before Waipukurau, I hit a wall of thick fog which continued almost all the way through to Hastings, so my speed dropped accordingly but I kept to my 10 min stop in Waipukurau which again included a small bite to eat and some more fluids.

The temperature had dropped, but I was well dressed for the cold, plus the wind protection of the Triumph helped a lot. I noticed after the stop at Waipukurau I was starting to feel slightly tired which took me by surprise, “already I thought!” I didn’t expect this feeling to come on until late into the ride.

I can only assume riding through the thick fog required more intense concentration, as well as the early start and that “hour” of the morning and colder temperature, would have all added up taking its toll.

When I hit Hastings the sun was coming up and what a difference that made.  The temperature made a sharp rise, the fog was gone, clear blue sky and my alertness was back up, I was feeling really good.

The ride from Hastings/Napier to the next stop in Gisborne involves tight twisty roads in places, which required care especially as I was not familiar with the road and it was still early morning.  I was watching the road condition in areas where there was basically shade all day. But was happy, things were looking good time wise and going well.

The scenery leading into Gisborne is stunning and beautiful.  I stopped at Caltex for a fuel top up and another bite to eat and drink.  I also removed some clothing as it was warming up.  It took a bit longer at this stop just over 15 min for a rest & stretch.

Now I am off to the East coast through to Opotiki and on to Whakatane.  What a great ride this is through the gorge. I had a couple of sports bikes come up behind me, so I thought to myself I will tag on behind them and let them tow me along for a while.  I decided against it as the level of concentration needed would burn me out more than likely, so I found my rhythm and kept it at that, I have to last 24 hours!

My stop at Whakatane was as usual, top up fuel, bite to eat and drink, stretch and back on the bike just over 10 minutes again.  I was feeling really good, no real pain, blue skies and looking forward to the next section through to Waihi and then on to the Mobil at Kopu.

My stops at Waihi and Kopu went as planned and I seemed to be in a nice rhythm, time was looking good at this stage.  The GPS was saying arrive at Mobil in New Plymouth at 11 pm which I was very happy with.

From Kopu I headed west to Pokeno for another quick stop and then south in behind Hamilton turning east heading to Matamata for my last planned stop before heading back inland and back to New Plymouth.

The stop at Matamata took a lot longer around 20-25 minutes I decided to give myself a good rest but I was still feeling really good, my arse was feeling a bit numb by now but I was not feeling any pain.  I had a good stretch and put some warmer clothes back on.

What was concerning me were the very, very black clouds forming in the West.  There had been a few showers late in the afternoon but I had actually missed them all and was nice and dry.

On the final leg, I had in front of me Awakino gorge and Mt Messenger.  I know these roads well but they certainly need respect; rock falls, potholes, wild goats, just lots of hazards to watch out for. As I was getting close to the gorge, even though it was night, I could see it was getting darker and darker up head!

Then it hit!  Torrential rain! Added to that gale force winds and I mean wind!  The trees that lined the road were swaying wildly; leaves and small sticks were flying across the road in front of me at helmet height!  There were small rock falls coming down on the road. Where’s the bloody road?

I could not believe this! All this way!  Do I stop and pull over? I’ve been riding now for over 20 hours.  I slowed right down and was at crawling pace through tight twisty corners, with absolutely pouring rain and gale force winds.  Visibility was poor but at the slower speeds was still manageable, plus it would be more dangerous to stop as there are not many places you can stop without being at risk of being hit. I made the decision to just plug along.  I must get through this weather soon!

Sure enough, I got to the end of the gorge, popped out onto the coast, clear skies and a nice big moon greeted me, beautiful! The coast was on my right with clear skies all the way to New Plymouth.

As I approached New Plymouth I reflected, how do I feel? Actually pretty bloody good! Maybe just a numb rear end, better than I had expected.

I cruised into the Mobil Service Station where this adventure started and topped up with fuel.  My wife was there waiting with a big smile and the service station attendant was happy to see I had made it! He printed the receipt with excitement.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WQ3CAN08GkJXrzbCJWiG1fmela2pdk1b&usp=sharing

22 hours 10 min

1013miles   /    1631 km Travelled

WHATS NEXT!  I AM HOOKED  :046:

2014 Triumph Trophy

IBA # 69575

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    522

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Re: My first Saddlesore 1000
    Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2018, 11.32 pm
    Apr 05, 2018, 11.32 pm
    Congratulations, well done!
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline Lamin

• Trophy Member  ‐    60

Offline Lamin

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: SE 1200
    • City / Town: Liverpool
    Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2018, 12.51 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 12.51 am
    Clarky, well done, lovely feedback, and pictures painted. The Trophy is indeed the do-it-all bike, I dought there is another bike out there capable as this Triumph masterpiece is, of bringing a smile to the face of anyone riding (or pillion), on the roads today.

• Offline lemuriano   00

• Trophy Pro  ‐    200

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2021 Moto Guzzi V85
    • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
    Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2018, 03.37 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 03.37 am
    *Originally Posted by Clarky [+]
    WHATS NEXT!  I AM HOOKED  :046:

Congratulations... The Mile Eater Program awaits you!

An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
    IBA #60953

• Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2018, 08.35 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 08.35 am
    *Originally Posted by lemuriano [+]
    Congratulations... The Mile Eater Program awaits you!

Thanks!   aahhhhh yea been looking at the mile eater program and a little bit of wee come out  :005:
    IBA # 69575

• Offline RocketSteve   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    604

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
    • City / Town: Bideford
    Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2018, 09.37 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 09.37 am
    Great scribe!

My attention span when reading write-ups normally expires after a few para's but you kept me wanting to read more and it lasted right to the end!  :035:

Congrats on completing the target, happy days.
    To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

• Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro  ‐    120

Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro
    • Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jersey
    Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2018, 11.30 am
    Apr 06, 2018, 11.30 am
    Yeah.  That was fun to read.  I found myself rooting for you!  I am especially impressed as that route is pretty twisty the whole way.  1000 miles and no US superslab (highway) miles really!  Well done, very inspiring story!  :028:
    Yes, I am a BIKEAHOLIC and No, I don't need help!

• Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member  ‐    37
    • Topic Author

Offline Clarky

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2018, 12.04 pm
    Apr 06, 2018, 12.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by JerseyRider [+]
    Yeah.  That was fun to read.  I found myself rooting for you!  I am especially impressed as that route is pretty twisty the whole way.  1000 miles and no US superslab (highway) miles really!  Well done, very inspiring story!  :028:

Thanks! I was trying to pick a route with less twisty bits, but in New Zealand, that's bloody hard to find!

Looking at the bigger rides to do, I might end up running out of roads altogether to be honest :033: few more down in the South Island :110:
    IBA # 69575

tweedy-bunch