Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Thank God for Insurance, this time anyway:o)  (Read 3965 times)

• Offline bigcountry   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
    • City / Town: Gretna, LA
    Thank God for Insurance, this time anyway:o)
    on: Apr 08, 2018, 04.50 am
    Apr 08, 2018, 04.50 am
    My six month hiatus in North Carolina is over.  I U-hauled my Trophy and my 2006 955i Tiger back to New Orleans.   A combination of the crappy roads in NOLA and bad strapping, mostly strapping I think, my Trophy fell over on to the Tiger and they both went over on the right side.  The Tiger, with the Heed engine guard was fine.  The Trophy ended up scratched.  And, the right turn signal lens cracked as well.  Mostly a cosmetic issue-still pissed and embarrassed.   :172: :173:  The damage at first glance was into the $800 dollar range.  Top box cover was $180 alone.  I called my insurance company after I priced out the damage and it looks like they may help me out.   I have a $250 deductible.   My dealer decided to sell BMWs when I was gone. They were all over me today to purchase an RT or GTL.  No can do.  I'm staying with the Trophy.  I love my bike.  Oppps, that's a different thread :028:
    Big Country

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    959

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Re: Thank God for Insurance, this time anyway:o)
    Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2018, 10.21 am
    Apr 08, 2018, 10.21 am
    Ive had bikes fall in trailers and it has ALWAYS been my own fault. Not enough straps and not checking regularly. This is an observation, not a criticism by the way. Pleased you got off relatively lightly. Over here any insurance claim ends up increasing your premium for the next few years so it may be cheaper in the long run just to take the hit and pay for the repairs yourself. 

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2018, 01.18 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 01.18 pm
    I asked her about that.  It was a non-moving/riding accident.  Consequently, it doesn't carry the same weight as a moving accident.  If it does, I just raise my deductible to $500 and smooth it out.  I was very upset.  In the end I'll be back up and looking good :821:
    Big Country

• Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro  ‐    120

Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro
    • Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jersey
    Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2018, 01.49 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 01.49 pm
    Hey man.  I used to have concerns as I often went down to bike week in Fla. and trailered several bikes in an enclosed trailer.  It always seemed a bit dicey.

Then I started using bar harnesses  https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-and-accessories/motorcycle-transport/tie-downs/canyon-dancer-bar-harness-ii/p/40624?b=3130233&CRTP=psc&gclid=CjwKCAjw-

and and wheel chocks plaved on a thick rubber mat.

6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDepou2HrGyN0id6ZoDo_nY6XSkCNsga5lXFEfSjN5LL_hspjcCR8NBoCRtEQAvD_BwE
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200692640_200692640?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Trailers%20%2B%20Towing%20%3E%20Motorcycle%20Hauling%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Ultra-Tow&utm_content=58208&gclid=CjwKCAjw-6bWBRBiEiwA_K1ZDUcRvOM9xBNyO_yGq_vlsneOk3K47HB8b-1bmQ2ddvKxY0TD2KJtRRoCZbAQAvD_BwE

The other key was ratchet straps NOT tie downs.  This has provided much greater confidence and results.  My cousin was driving the rig coming home last time and he had to run into the median strip as he was going too fast on the highway and traffic came to stop.  We banged around hard.  I figured the bikes were a mess.  To my great surprise and delight, when we went back and checked the bikes were fine.  No movement!  Good Luck
    Yes, I am a BIKEAHOLIC and No, I don't need help!

• Trophy Pro  ‐    292
    • Topic Author

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2018, 02.15 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 02.15 pm
    Thanks Jersey,

Serendipity, a buddy and I, looked at exactly those items yesterday..locally.  I will definitely get both items next time.  I believe the ratchet hooks were with the issue.  I got them from Harbor Freight.  The hooks were actually squared off vice being an actual hook.  I think when it got bouncy they slipped.   

PS My wife is from Westfield.  She followed me around the Marine Corps for 33 years and purchased my Tiger for me last year.  Good piece of gear..my gal :821:
    Big Country

• Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro  ‐    120

Offline JerseyRider

• Trophy Pro
    • Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Jersey
    Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2018, 02.54 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 02.54 pm
    Jersey girls are great!  I have one myself (and she has me) who was born and raised not far from Westfield!

I always use electrical tape when on a long haul and tape the end of the hooks on the straps so a bounce and the resulting slack never lets it off the hook so to speak!  Stay on two wheels and thank you for your service!
    Yes, I am a BIKEAHOLIC and No, I don't need help!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2018, 03.18 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 03.18 pm
    TyreFix by Acebikes is a great rear wheel tiedown strap that doesn't put pressure on the suspension and used at the proper angle in conjunction with their wheel chock locks a bike in so it can't (never say can't  :008:) move.  A K1600GTL I owned got hauled on a trailer that way once.  Very secure.  Webbikeworld has a review on it as well as other tiedowns.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro  ‐    186

Offline swede 2

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 tt se
    • City / Town: N.E florida
    Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2018, 10.58 pm
    Apr 08, 2018, 10.58 pm
    keep in mind that you have electronic throttle control.so avoid putting anything that causes any kind of force on the throttle grip

tweedy-bunch