Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: tyre pressures  (Read 6569 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
tyre pressures
« on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:45 pm »
Does anyone adjust the tyre pressures for two up with luggage touring.  And if so does it muck up the tyre pressure light or is that only for low pressure.  I am off next week with pilion plus luggage for 2 week tour round France.

Offline Leak

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Silver ;-) Trophy SE
  • City / Town: St Austell, Cornwall
Re: tyre pressures
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:09 pm »
Hi John,

I run mine at 2.5 (36) front and 2.9 (42) rear whether I'm solo or two up with luggage. Other ppl on here might not, they might run a completely different set-up   :187:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:39 pm »
I am the same as roadrunner run them at 36 front  and 42 rear There isnt anything in the handbook to suggest otherwise .
loads of miles

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 10:07:13 pm »
Same here.

36 front, 42 rear whether one or two up
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 10:53:40 pm »
Hi
Just toured around Europe in 28-31 degrees C and monitored tyre pressures because of a puncture
I found that in that temperature they mostly ran between 5-10 psi above cold pressure, I guess this is due to Charles Law, so I reckon you shouldn't need to compensate as your tyres will warm and the pressures will rise naturally

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 11:49:27 pm »
*Originally Posted by waspanman [+]
Hi
Just toured around Europe in 28-31 degrees C and monitored tyre pressures because of a puncture
I found that in that temperature they mostly ran between 5-10 psi above cold pressure, I guess this is due to Charles Law, so I reckon you shouldn't need to compensate as your tyres will warm and the pressures will rise naturally
Just recently finished taking my daughter through an arduous semester of chemistry so I can't resist commenting that  Charles Law doesn't really deal with pressure.  It only states that volume of gas expands as temperature increases.  Without citing that volume must remain constant you don't have the increase in pressure.  You must incorporate Boyle's law as well to deal with the pressure aspect. The particular law that incorporates both is Amontons' Law of Pressure-Temperature.   

Having just come off as a know it all I will say that I constantly monitor the pressure gauge and find a relatively constant 8 psi increase when full warmed up and riding in the 90-100 F heat of Texas.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:29:37 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Bajagrngo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE launch.
  • City / Town: Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:52:18 am »
 :435:
Tom Brennan

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:57:02 am »
Well lets say that you are in a dessert hotel, and when you get up in the early  morning, its 30 American Degrees outside (Fahrenheit for you foreigners). You check your tires and make sure you put them at 42 PSI before you take off...per manual specs.

By the middle of the day, you and in the kingdom-come dessert road which is now at 90 degree ambiance; your tire probably much hotter than that. You check your pressure at the truck stop and its 54 PSI. You need to take some air out due to the expansion of the air inside the tire due to the heat.

All this can be done without a calculator, nor the theoretical applications of Boyles' Charles' nor Amonton's Principles...can't it? BTW, I just taught a Physics course at a Community College in my village, so I know it can be done.
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime