Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Soupy's lowering links and adjustable kickstand  (Read 5398 times)

• Offline ladisney   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    47
    • Topic Author

Offline ladisney

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 17 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Pleasant Hill, Iowa
    Soupy's lowering links and adjustable kickstand
    on: Apr 11, 2018, 05.27 am
    Apr 11, 2018, 05.27 am
    I lowered the Trophy about an inch and a half and installed the adjustable kickstand today.  The entire operation took about ninety minutes.  I can now put both feet fully on the ground.  The exhaust had to be removed but that is certainly not a big deal.  I'll need to adjust the kickstand more as it holds the bike up too vertically as currently adjusted.  Getting the bike back on the main stand now that it's lowered is MUCH more difficult. I may remove the main stand and have it shortened.   It's not inexpensive but the additional control I have likely makes it worthwhile.

http://soupysperformance.com/trophy-se-2013-up-adjustable-kickstand-lowering-links-combo-kit.html

• Offline spl383   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    122

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
    Re: Soupy's lowering links and adjustable kickstand
    Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11.56 am
    Apr 11, 2018, 11.56 am
    Thanks for the link. I may have to buy a set of those lowering links.  I would like mine to be about 1/2 inch lower. "adjustable between stock height and lowered 4 inches"

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #2 on: Apr 11, 2018, 04.18 pm
    Apr 11, 2018, 04.18 pm
    Keep an eye on those threaded rods.  I've had a Soupy's lowering link like that style on another bike, and one end of the threaded rod yielded and bent over time.  Not good.  Granted, that was a single link and right next to exhaust pipe.  Doesn't hurt to be cautious.
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline Hawaiian

• Trophy Junior  ‐    8

Offline Hawaiian

• Trophy Junior
    • Bike: Triumph SE
    • City / Town: Richmond Hill
    Reply #3 on: Apr 11, 2018, 10.52 pm
    Apr 11, 2018, 10.52 pm
    Has the performance suffered any, especially in cornering?

Matt
    😎🤙🏽

• Offline Volfy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    690

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • City / Town: Gulf Coast
    Reply #4 on: Apr 11, 2018, 11.10 pm
    Apr 11, 2018, 11.10 pm
    Depends on how much you lower it.  Of the few bikes I lowered, none were more than an inch.  I try for as little as necessary to get me comfortable with the bike.  Doesn't mean I need to flat foot both sides.  A lot depends on how heavy the bike is too.  Keep the lowering reasonable, and the handling won't suffer too badly.  However, you will:

1. Lose ground clearance
    2. Lose load capacity, which = suspension travel x spring rate
    3. Affect chassis geometry.  If you don't lower the front end to compensate, trail and rake angle will both increase, and turn-in will suffer.

Keep lowering to less than an inch and you probably won't notice much change, especially if you ride solo and don't carry much gear.  1-1/2" is getting to be a bit much IMO.  If I were you, I would incrementally raise the rear end back up, a bit at a time, and get used to the ride height.  Do that till you start feeling uncomfortably tall, then back off a bit.  You might be surprised you don't really need all that much lowering.  The ability to do that is what I think Soupy's adjustable links are great for.
    Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

• Offline Fastwheels

• Trophy Member  ‐    30

Offline Fastwheels

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Orchard Lake, MI
    Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2018, 03.39 pm
    Jul 25, 2018, 03.39 pm
    when I got my Trophy in 2014, I immediately had the Soupys links and RG bars installed.  It was lowered a bit over an inch, and I rode it that way until this Spring, when I had the front end lowered to match.  Not having ridden many miles on a Trophy prior to lowering it, I did not feel the handling difference initially, but now that the front end has been lowered I see what I was missing for 3 years.  I highly recommend you lower the front to match the amount you lowered the rear. 
    2004 Honda ST 1300 - sold
    2006 Suzuki M50 - sold
    1983 Honda Sabre V45 - sold
    1975 Honda 360 - sold

• Offline ZShyster   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    332

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
    Reply #6 on: Jul 25, 2018, 05.20 pm
    Jul 25, 2018, 05.20 pm
    ladisney,

I lowered my Trophy using the 20mm Lust links.  I have not done anything to the centerstand, however, I carry a small piece of a 2x6 with a beveled edge when I travel.  If I have a flat, I can ride the bike's rear tire onto the 2x6, get off the bike and easily put it on the centerstand.  This also provides a little extra room if trying to plug a tire.  May be a good reason not to chop down the center stand.

Just a thought.

ZShyster

• Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member  ‐    87

Offline Jubeeprince

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Eldersburg
    Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2018, 02.00 am
    Jul 26, 2018, 02.00 am
    Just as a point of information, lowering the front and rear is not a "one-to-one" equation. For the Lust Racing brand links, the links are 20mm, but their instructions state to lower the front end 14mm to keep the ride geometry the same.

If you lower the rear but not the front, the bike will want to ride in more of a straight line and it will have difficulty falling into turns.

Cheers,

Steve

tweedy-bunch