Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: part number for retaining clip  (Read 5437 times)

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy
    • City / Town: New York
    part number for retaining clip
    on: Apr 16, 2018, 09.43 pm
    Apr 16, 2018, 09.43 pm
    Does anyone know what the part number is or the source to purchase those small spring wire retaining clips that can be found on the turn signals and the back of the USB port in the glove box - you know - the ones that fly off if you aren't careful while removing connectors to remove the faring?  Not that this happened to me.  Asking for a friend :)
    (I cant seem to find them on any parts diagrams for the bike and aren't sure exactly what they are called).
    Thanks,
    Jeff

• Offline spl383   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    122

Offline spl383

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy 2013
    • City / Town: Carrollton/TX
    Re: part number for retaining clip
    Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2018, 10.18 pm
    Apr 16, 2018, 10.18 pm
    I also need one of these, the last time I was at the dealership I asked for one and they could not find it on the parts diagram.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2018, 01.27 am
    Apr 17, 2018, 01.27 am
    Go to a welding supply store and buy one piece of 36" 308 stainless steel tig welding wire (if they will sell you just one stick) in 1/16" (1.6mm) and 3/32" (2.4mm) diameter and fabricate a new one by bending a squared bottom "U" clip from whichever size is appropriate, I've forgotten which.  Look closely at the connection, there is a relief area on the legs of the clip that needs a "V" shape put on it to keep it secured in the groove, which is why it takes off when it is pulled back from the connector.  I have a few things hanging around down in the never never land of plastic on mine - one of which is this clip that took a dive when I had things apart to connect heated grips.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2018, 07.58 am
    Apr 17, 2018, 07.58 am
    I can't help with a replacement, but to help prevent losing any more,
    DON'T try to pul the clip away from the body when removing it,
    PUSH it further into the body from the "wide" side
    which will release it from the locking tab  :169:

Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 08.08 pm by Coconut

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    10059

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2018, 10.19 am
    Apr 17, 2018, 10.19 am
    Further to my previous reply, this bugged me, so I did some searching,
    and came up wiith this :

Google "Junior Power Timer" and look for a 2 pin female socket amongst the list of results.
    ( I haven't yet tried one to confirm, but they look like being the correct part ! ).

Sold by various companies including RS Components, TE Connectivity, AES,
    and can also be found on eBay and Amazon.

I can't find the spring clip on it's own anywhere though, so you'd have to buy the complete Housing.

The best price I can find in the UK is 1.30 each +VAT + Shipping ( does not include the Contact Pins ),
    or a bag of 10 for 10.99 +VAT, Plus shipping ( 3.50 + VAT ) here : Auto Electric Supplies ( AES ).co.uk

Cheers  :821:
    Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 08.08 pm by Coconut

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2018, 01.39 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 01.39 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    I can't help with a replacement, but to help prevent losing any more,
    DON'T try to pul the clip away from the body when removing it,
    PUSH it further into the body from the "wide" side
    which will release it from the locking tab  :169:

First of all, thank you for your How To on removing the faring.  I would not have gotten along without it.  And, in there you specifically mention not pulling the clip which I listened to once.....then not so much later in the process and I suffered the consequences. 
    I wound up with two extra fasteners and one lost clip although I found a battery terminal bolt I had dropped about a year ago so that makes that even!
    In my case, I could have removed one panel and found the source of the leaking coolant that I was experiencing (tightened a clamp)..but I am very glad I got the experience of removing the plastic as I learned a lot and suffered little damage other than the extra parts (which I will find their homes) and the lost clip.  Thank you again Coconut.  Oh, and the best part was my daughter helped out and we got to enjoy working on the bike together. Again, I would not have taken it apart without your guide.
    Coconut....fixing bikes and bringing families together  :001:

• Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro  ‐    340
    • Topic Author

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2018, 01.44 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 01.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    Further to my previous reply, this bugged me, so I did some searching,
    and came up wiith this :

Google "Junior Power Timer" and look for a 2 pin female socket amongst the list of results.
    ( I haven't yet tried one to confirm, but they look like being the correct part ! ).

Sold by various companies including RS Components, TE Connectivity, AES,
    and can also be found on eBay and Amazon.

I can't find the spring clip on it's own anywhere though, so you'd have to buy the complete Housing.

The best price I can find in the UK is 1.30 each +VAT + Shipping ( does not include the Contact Pins ),
    or a bag of 10 for 10.99 +VAT, Plus shipping ( 3.50 + VAT ) here : Auto Electric Supplies ( AES ).co.uk

Cheers  :821:

I'm not holding the part in my hand and it may be the photo but I seem to think the clip we need is thinner and the bend on both sides is sharper but I could be wrong.  Bet either way that one could be made to work. 
    I found a clip on the parts diagram for the trophy that looks right (in terms of it's shape) but I have a feeling it retains a wire or hose and is much much bigger than the connector clip.  It just looks generally the same.  I ordered one for the hell of it and I will let you know if it fits. 
    If I have a chance I will find an electrical supply house and bring in the clip I have. 

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4965

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2018, 02.26 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 02.26 pm
    I found the connector at:http://www.cycleterminal.com/junior-power-timer.html.  It's cataloged as a Junior Power Timer 2 pin female connector for 17-20 AWG wire size, #JPT 2 Female $2.85 each.  I find no search option on their website, but a general search for the item coconut found turned up their site as a source and the page comes right up, even though when you scroll through the connectors on the sight it doesn't show up anywhere.  They have a $5 US minimum order and expedited 3-5 day shipping within the US is less than $4 US.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies