Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Making a choice  (Read 7372 times)

• Offline Pop

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pop

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: Victory Vision
    • City / Town: Lake Ozark
    Making a choice
    on: Apr 17, 2018, 03.17 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 03.17 pm
    I've been lurking for several weeks waiting to get a cast off my broken arm which i should free of next week. I'm down to 2 bikes and i haven't been able to ride either one. My concerns for the Trophy:

1) Having a Victory, I know what happens when a factory pulls the plug on production. You may be able to get parts but forget about accessories. Service is going to be an issue for me also as I'm 3 hrs from a dealer.
    2) I ride year round and out summer are very hot and humid. My Vision was warm when sitting, but had upper and lower deflectors that ventilated and  protected the driver along with the adjustable windshield.

This being said, i am drawn to the Trophy. I loved the triple on my Tiger, but hated the lights. The pros & cons thread here caused me to take the Trophy off my list but the market makes me want to roll the dice. Thanks for any input

• Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member  ‐    81

Offline BigPoppa

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Antioch
    Re: Making a choice
    Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2018, 08.56 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 08.56 pm
    Hi Pop,

I came to the Trophy from a Victory Cross Country Tour and I also ride my bike year round (commuting during the week and fun rides/tours on the weekends and vacations). Unfortunately, it's going to be a personal choice as to which bike is best for you and your situation.

Reasons I personally left the Victory and came over to the Triumph even though the model run had ended:
    • As much as I tried over the years, cruisers and touring cruisers just aren't comfortable for me for long rides. They put too much weight on my tailbone and even with the really long floorboards on the Victory, I couldn't relieve the pressure for very long. It just hurt too much after 4+ hours. The last sport tourer I had (Kawasaki Concours14) I rode coast to coast with no discomfort.
    • I missed the performance of sportier bikes.
    For me, I had no concerns about Triumph discontinuing the Trophy since Triumph themselves appear to be here to stay. Also, in my case maintenance isn't an issue since I have a few Triumph dealers in my area.

I have to admit that if my closest Triumph dealer were 3 hours away I would probably stick with the Victory since it's got lower maintenance requirements and you can probably do most of your maintenance yourself (no valves to adjust, belt drive...pretty much just change fluids, plugs, filters, and other wear items as needed).

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4879

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2018, 11.14 pm
    Apr 17, 2018, 11.14 pm
    Well stated Big Poppa.  Most of us ride the Trophy for the comfort and overall performance, and have decided to just deal with the distance to a dealer for repair or service.  I'm only 1 hour away from a really good dealer so it's no problem for me, other than the fact that I have to go through Austin, Texas to get there, aarrrggghhhh! :004:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline briandca

• Trophy Member  ‐    68

Offline briandca

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy
    • City / Town: The villages Fl
    Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2018, 01.36 am
    Apr 18, 2018, 01.36 am
    I too like my Trophy for distance riding but Sunday I broke another shifter bolt in the middle of Georgia closes dealer 2.5 hours away and didn't have the part a friend came and got me and drove the bike and me to my dealer in Florida. I would consider the number of dealers in the area

• Offline Pop

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pop

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2018, 02.15 am
    Apr 18, 2018, 02.15 am
    Thanks for the input guys. When I bought my Vision there was a Victory dealer a couple miles from me and I had a good relationship with the service manager. They now support Polaris personal watercraft and 4 wheelers. I sold my Vision to my son so itís history. Youíre right about the Victoryís maintenance BigPoppa. I had 60k on my Vision, and did everything but replace fork deals and change tires. Hopefully i can ride in a couple weeks and make the decision clearer.

• Offline Pop

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pop

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: Apr 18, 2018, 01.31 pm
    Apr 18, 2018, 01.31 pm
    Iím not ruling out the Trophy yet but I think an FJR may be easier for me to maintain. I sure do like the triple and Iím going to be open minded until I write the check, thanks.

• Offline OK_Trophy   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    235

Offline OK_Trophy

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
    • City / Town: Enid, OK
    Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03.12 pm
    Apr 18, 2018, 03.12 pm
    When I was shopping for my bike, I was greatly impressed by the big Victory's (having been riding cruiser bikes since 1999).  I almost pulled the trigger on the Vision but just decided I needed to look at the sport-tour bikes first.  I am glad I did!  I rode all of the various models (FJR, R1200RT, etc.) and just found that the TTSE fit me the best and had great features.  I wish Triumph had not discontinued the model, but I am confident that the bike will give me great service for many years to come.  I have had no significant issues at all in the two years of ownership.  My dealer is 1.5 hours away so that does require some pre-planning but it has not been a problem so far.

• Offline Pop

• Trophy Member  ‐    12
    • Topic Author

Offline Pop

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2018, 03.39 pm
    Apr 18, 2018, 03.39 pm
    Thanks OK_Trophy. I found out a dealer in Springfield still has Triumph and that's only 90 min ride. That makes the Trophy look better. I did love the 2 Victorys I had but I want something lighter than the Vision with all of the options. Do u find hot weather to be abnormally uncomfortable on the Trophy.

tweedy-bunch