Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Gear shift  (Read 6462 times)

• Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro  ‐    181
    • Topic Author

Offline madshep

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Boston, Lincolnshire
    Gear shift
    on: Apr 18, 2018, 09.36 pm
    Apr 18, 2018, 09.36 pm
    Had an issue last week when out riding when I found the gear shift felt 'strange'.

Changing down from 4th-3rd-2nd and then down to 1st the action seemed sluggish and wasn't 'clicking' cleanly.

Decided to take the gear lever off and linkage apart and clean/lubricate as I'd read on here that some other owners had problems also.

The mighty COCONUT very kindly supplied me with details on how to get the side cover off without have to remove the fairing etc and I found the gear lever pivot to be "as dry as a nun's crotch"  :431: as well as a little white and corroded.

Took it all apart and gave it a good scrub with a soft wire brush, then greased it all thoroughly and re-assembled to the correct torques (thanks again COCONUT).

Went for a 200 mile ride today and COULD NOT BELIEVE the difference!!!!! :046:

The gear action was just sooooooooooo smooth and slick and it really did feel like a different bike.

Came back and have now done the same to the rear brake pivot, which was in a similar 'dry' condition.

Amazing to find that something so relatively simple can make such a difference!

:062:

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: Gear shift
    Reply #1 on: Apr 19, 2018, 07.54 am
    Apr 19, 2018, 07.54 am
    As always madshep - Happy to be able to help  :169:

Thanks for the update  :028:

Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 08.05 pm by Coconut

• Offline 1675   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    948

Offline 1675

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Spennymoor
    Reply #2 on: Apr 19, 2018, 09.04 am
    Apr 19, 2018, 09.04 am
    I also had a similar experience. Something so simple to fix transforms the bike and it is not part of the service schedule. I also did the joints in the short link rod as well, all were dry. One member did ask if it was only done because I may have been sitting around bored and looking for something to do, but to me the benefits were obvious..

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03.19 pm
    May 20, 2018, 03.19 pm
    Mine has been getting difficult to shift so I removed the linkage and found the bottom socket was very smooth and free but the top was very slow and stiff.  I could not see how to remove the "Ball" from the link. I see what looks like a nut as part of the Ball socket but did not want to force anything.  I cleaned all around the area on both ends and used some "TriFlow"  Teflon lubricant on the ball where the shaft enters.  It loosened up considerably.   The bike shifts much better.  I'd still like to take the link/socket apart and clean and lube it properly.  Can anyone shed some light here?
    Thanks!
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline silverstripes   gb

• Trophy Master  ‐    1071

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Trophy
    • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
    Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03.44 pm
    May 20, 2018, 03.44 pm
    Ah the secret to removing the ball linkage. Around the base of the ball and on the start of the shaft is a spring clip. Prise off this clip and a long prong which runs in the socket to the side of the ball can be removed. The clip and the prong are one peice.

It is difficult to see the spring clip  but it is there  :152:

It wasn't me !!

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4878

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03.57 pm
    May 20, 2018, 03.57 pm
    I lost one of those clips after cleaning it off with brake cleaner and couldn't find it anywhere.  With a little search and a digital caliper I found that a large paper clip is .0005" larger than the original clip so I made one that works fine and even looks like the original.  Once it gets dirty no one would be able to tell the difference.  Two days after I lost it I went to retrieve the mail and kept hearing a clicking sound - guess you know where this is going.  I looked at the bottom of my shoe and yep, the strait leg of the clip was perfectly buried in the sole, this naturally after I had ordered some more from Hermys.  I now have 2 pivot bolts, 2 Heim joint seals, and 2 retainer clips, that will be on the bike along with a small tube of silicone grease and the few tools it takes to access those items.  The silicone grease is water repellent by the way so it shouldn't get washed out like the original grease did, my Heim joints were dry.
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

• Offline atrophy   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    516

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
    • City / Town: SW Ohio
    Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2018, 01.40 am
    Jun 08, 2018, 01.40 am
    *Originally Posted by silverstripes [+]
    Ah the secret to removing the ball linkage. Around the base of the ball and on the start of the shaft is a spring clip. Prise off this clip and a long prong which runs in the socket to the side of the ball can be removed. The clip and the prong are one peice.

It is difficult to see the spring clip  but it is there  :152:
    Thanks for the help!  I took it apart today. 
    Would not have seen the clip without your help.
    2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
    2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
    IBA 24605

• Offline jaapvanthoff   nl

• Trophy Pro  ‐    190

Offline jaapvanthoff

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: TT SE my2014
    • City / Town: Rotterdam
    Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2018, 06.26 am
    Jun 08, 2018, 06.26 am
    Question for Madshep / Tiverton.

How many mils / kilometers did you do with your Trophy before you had this issue?

TTSE bleu
    ex: Dnepr, Ural, BMW R1200RT :-))
    Some old Saabs, Daimler serie 3, and STR jag.