Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: GPS Mounting on dash below wind screen  (Read 6132 times)

• Offline kirkkw

• Trophy Member  ‐    79
    • Topic Author

Offline kirkkw

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy
    • City / Town: Leander/Austin
    GPS Mounting on dash below wind screen
    on: May 01, 2018, 02.30 am
    May 01, 2018, 02.30 am
    I am completely confused as to the proper part number(s) I need to use the GPS mount on the dash.

I found this item on https://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/various/id-A9828011/CNC_Machined_GPS_Bracket The part is #A9828011 listed for $45.  Is that for the entire assembly in the picture?  Description says for XM radio.  Does the bike itself have XM radio or is it referring to the GPS?

Also https://shop.triumphmotorcycles.com/various/id-A9828009/CNC_Machined_GPS_Bracket for $40.

The price is much less than this one https://www.shoptriumphparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1184544&ukey_make=1248&ukey_model=20192&modelYear=2017&ukey_driveLine=12059 GPS Mount kit #A9828009 which is $80.  :087:

What is the difference between A9828011 and A9828009?  Which do I need for a 2017 USA Trophy? :148:

There is also a GPS Connector here: https://www.shoptriumphparts.com/products/Triumph/Trophy/GPS-Connector/9932852/A9930122.html Part #A9938122 for $10.00.  What is this for?  I have a Garmin 660 motorcycle GPS - how would I use this connector?   :435:

Guess I sound totally ignorant in my questions and for good reason, I have not even taken possession of my new Trophy at this time. 

Thanks for the help, Ken

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Re: GPS Mounting on dash below wind screen
    Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 08.20 am
    May 01, 2018, 08.20 am
    Hi Ken,

The US and Canadian Export models of Triumph Trophy have XM Satellite radio fitted,
    which we don't have here in the U, Europe etc.

The XM Radio uses an additional Antenna that is mounted below the Instrument Panel plastic panels,
    and is ordinarily out of sight, but is "in the way" of fitting the Triumph Sat Nav bracket.

The difference in those two versions of bracket is that the one with the extra "plate" on it ( A9828011 )
    is for the XM Antenna to be re-positioned and fixed onto it, so that's the one you need.
    ( The other piece in the Photo with the large hole in it is the Trim Finisher ).

DON'T be tempted to fit the Bracket until you are also ready to fit the Garmin Cradle,
    as the wiring from the cradle passes through the Bracket, and has to be completed at the same time,
    or you will end up having to dismantle it all again !

Regards the Sat Nav connections, there are two :

1.  Power : There is a dedicated "Clean" Power supply already built in to the Trophy system.
    It is terminated with a moulded socket.  The GPS Accessory Connector Kit A9930122
    has the corresponding moulded Plug to push into the Trophy Socket,
    and then the other end of that wiring loom is connected by use of Crimp on connectors
    ( or better to solder them ), onto the wiring loom power connections from the Garmin Cradle.

2.  Audio connection - There is a 3.5mm Audio Jack Plug built in to the Trophy that the 3.5mm Audio
    Jack Socket from the Garmin Cradle wiring connects onto.  This enables Audio from the Garmin
    to be Output through the Trophy Loudspeakers, or by Bluetooth to your Helmet Headset.

Both of these connections are buried away behind and underneath the left mirror pod,
    taped onto the main wiring loom, and are often difficult to locate !

It is sometimes possible to get at them by just removing the panels around the mirror,
    but often the complete Fairing Side needs to be removed, which is probably the best way forward
    as you will also be dismantling the Cockpit panels to fit the bracket.

Neither are difficult tasks, just "fiddly" and a little time consuming.

Forum "HOW TO:" articles are available for both tasks here :

HOW TO: Remove the Fairing ........ ( and fit R & G Adventure Bars )

and,

HOW TO: Fitting Triumph Sat Nav Mount and Zumo 660

You can also download the Triumph Fitting Insructions for all Triumph Accessories,
    if you know the Part Number, here :  Triumph Instructions.com
    ( Enter the Part Number, then click the Flag representing your Country  :028: )

Finally, while waiting to take delivery of your new Trophy, if you have Microsoft PowerPoint,
    I made a PowerPoint "Show" to help new Owners understand and Navigate their way around
    the Instrument Panel Display Menu's, ( without flattening their battery ! ),
    and it can be downloaded via this Topic : HOW TO: Navigate the Trophy Menu

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Mar 12, 2020, 07.51 pm by Coconut

• Offline kirkkw

• Trophy Member  ‐    79
    • Topic Author

Offline kirkkw

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy
    • City / Town: Leander/Austin
    Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08.32 am
    May 01, 2018, 08.32 am
     :062:

Thanks for that thorough explanation.  I need to place that order.  May also order the 15L tank bag.

Coconut - your not really a nut!   :745:

Thanks a bunch.

• Offline HAT   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    38

Offline HAT

• Trophy Member
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Milford, OH
    Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2018, 08.24 pm
    Sep 20, 2018, 08.24 pm
    Has anybody tried or does anybody know if this kit (A9828011) will direct fit with the Garmin 396 LMT-S cradle? Or will it require a Ram ball adapter/arm?  (Or can somebody with the A9828011 provide the bracket hole dimensions on the plate)

• Offline tdragger   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    575

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Fredericksburg
    Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02.55 am
    Sep 21, 2018, 02.55 am
    *Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
    The XM Radio uses an additional Antenna that is mounted below the Instrument Panel plastic panels,
    and is ordinarily out of sight, but is "in the way" of fitting the Triumph Sat Nav bracket.

Just a clarification, the standard sat antenna is mounted ABOVE the instrument panel on a plate.  The GPS mount moves the plate forward slightly while also adding a tilting plate for mounting the GPS cradle.  The Sat antenna is not "out of sight".  It's the square thing above the instrument panel on a stock SE.
    -------------------------------------
    15 Triumph Trophy SE (2019 IBR)
    16 Triumph Trophy SE (2021 IBR)
    IBA #609

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9765

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2018, 06.49 am
    Sep 21, 2018, 06.49 am
    I havenít measured the mounting hole sizes
    of the Triumph bracket, but ...

I have the Garmin 585 LM fitted to my Trophy
    using the Motorcycle Cradle that came in the box,
    mounted onto the Triumph bracket.

According to the Garmin web site, the part number
    of the motorcycle cradle for the 595 LM is  010-12110-00

According to the Garmin web site it is the same motorcycle cradle
    for the 396 LMT-S model that you are considering,
    so it should fit onto the Triumph bracket  :028:

The 396 LMT-S is also slightly smaller in size and weight
    than the 395 LM so there will be no issues there either.

Cheers  :821:

Last Edit: Feb 16, 2020, 09.10 pm by Coconut

• Offline HAT   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    38

Offline HAT

• Trophy Member
    Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2018, 02.35 pm
    Sep 21, 2018, 02.35 pm
    Thanks for the info, Coconut.  That fits with what I was able to infer after some more research yesterday.  Was concerned with description note from Triumph that it does not fit the Zumo 350 or 340, but studying installation instructions noticed that those two use their cradle mount vertically rather than horizontally.  From the diagrams it looks like that may be the difference.

I have both the Zumo 396 and Triumph dash mount on order and will post compatibility for future reference.   Thanks again and thanks in advance to all who posted very thorough instructions for installing the mount.

• Offline HAT   us

• Trophy Member  ‐    38

Offline HAT

• Trophy Member
    Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2018, 07.04 pm
    Sep 30, 2018, 07.04 pm
    Follow-up from HAT:

Installed the Triumph gps mount and installed the cradle for my Zumo 396 yesterday.

-  I can confirm that the Zumo 396 cradle mounts directly to the Triumph A9828011 and A9828009.

-  Special thanks to davybull for his instructions and photos for installing the Triumph gps mount.  https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,1858.0.html.  One addition to the instructions would be that the black screws/plastic inserts behind the mirrors also need to be removed in order to free the dash assembly. 

-  I did not remove the fairing(s), but was still able to finagle the two screws just under the inner corners of the mirror assemblies (shown in the photos) loose and to reinstall.

- Went directly to the battery for connections, but installed an inline small rocker switch in the power lead to assure ability for complete disconnect of power to the gps harness/cradle (which showed constant draw even without the gps in the cradle)

- The XM antenna proved to be a source of frustration for 15 minutes.  I could see where the lead disappeared into never-never-land at the left of the dash/ lights/fairing and could even see and put fingers on a part of the connector, but could not get it out to disconnect (in order to feed through the trim collar).  Not wanting to remove the fairing and tear way into the area below the dash to reach the connector, I decided to adapt and overcome.  Simply cut the trim ring with a coping saw and inserted the XM antenna cable into the trim ring.  Voila - simple solution and totally unnoticeable!