Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Addressing (real) low voltage issues  (Read 872 times)

Offline dietDrThunder

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '12 S10 '15 TTSE
  • City / Town: Nashvegas, TN
Addressing (real) low voltage issues
« on: May 06, 2018, 03:27:03 AM »
Hi all! SO I've spent a _lot_ of time reading here, and it seems that there are many electrical gremlins that, when they occur, are often blamed on a mild low voltage condition. Meaning, perhaps the battery isn't the strongest, but it's sufficient to start the bike. If this is a real thing, has anyone done anything to successfully address this? Perhaps add a sizable capacitor to teh battery circuit, or add a second battery?

Just a thought.

What say you?  :)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
Re: Addressing (real) low voltage issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 08:17:06 PM »
I put in a completely different Lithium Iron Phosphate battery not long after buying the bike and have never had an electrical problem, even though its driving additional electrical load from stock via driving lights and what-not.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100
2008 Honda CBR1000RR (for sale)

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:12:59 AM »
I bought a battery from battery's plus and don't think I have seen that message since.   Three years on that battery now.
Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline blizzard

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Virginia,
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 01:23:35 AM »
I'm having the same Low Voltage alert when riding, with the occasional "Radio Off", but I don't think it's the battery, because only once did I have the bike not start, and that was due to some corrupt software causing the bluetooth to be on and broadcasting while the bike was off.  Hasn't happened since they upgraded the code. 

I checked the voltages today and the battery is 12.2v while off.  13.9 when idling, 14.1 when riding, but when I pull in the clutch after a bit of riding at 3k RPM's & more, the voltage dips down to 12.5, then goes up to 13.8. That's when I typically encounter the Low Voltage alert.  I can see a noticeable flicker in the front (center) light and tail lights.  I think it's part of the charging system, not the battery.  I'm guessing bikes are like cars, where after the initial start, the battery doesn't do anything, just gets charged.  I plan to take it in to the dealer (5 year RPMone expires in Dec) to see if they can sort it out, but thought I'd post this in the event I missed something similar in one of the other forums.  cheers

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 06:43:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
I bought a battery from battery's plus and don't think I have seen that message since.   Three years on that battery now.

+1 on Batteries Plus.  Do be careful as some locations are more reputable than others.  Appear to be franchises.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:40:36 AM by SprintST1050 »

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 12:13:14 AM »
Installed a Shorai LFX36L3-BS12 and never once saw a low voltage message.  I was all too glad to get rid of that stock batt that weighed a metric ton... and hanging off centerline of the bike that far.

Off topic... K1600 uses the exact same battery.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).