Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO : Remove the Fairing AND Fit R&G Adventure ( Crash ) Bars  (Read 65845 times)

Pea Fritter and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Re: HOW TO : How to Remove the Fairing AND Fit R&G Adventure ( Crash )
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2019, 07:13:12 PM »
As for all the "EXTRA" fixings others have ended up with - here's a hint to fix that.

I use (cleaned) a Styrofoam tray which meat from my grocery store comes packaged in to keep them in order (from top to bottom push the fasteners thru the tray) and label by writing on the tray where they came off from with a Sharpe marker.

Then they go back in reverse order.  It took me two trays to take apart the instrument panel for a GPS installation job, and another for the rest of the skin's fasteners.

And if I don't get back to a job for awhile, I don't have to worry about remembering what goes where, everything goes back is in reverse order from where they were pushed into the tray from bottom to top. 

Later, expecting to do this job again (de-skin the TTSE), I'll make a neater "shadow box" for all the fasteners that is reusable (poster board over foam,and maybe nice labels too).

Then there's the darn plastic bottom two left and right side's fasteners - I'm replacing those with stainless steel bolts w/lock washers, had to cut one off after much frustration trying to unscrew it!

Then if all else fails, I'll read the directions...

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:19:17 PM by av8or-dave »
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2019, 08:12:52 PM »
Yiou wontl need to fully remive that lower engine bolt -
just push iit out far enough for the forked end of the R & G Bar to fit over it.

If you were in "our" Liverpool, I'd have offered by now to ride up and give you a hand !

Every scraped knuckle is another learning opportinity !  :745:

Cheers  :821:

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2019, 04:10:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
Yiou wontl need to fully remive that lower engine bolt -
just push iit out far enough for the forked end of the R & G Bar to fit over it.

If you were in "our" Liverpool, I'd have offered by now to ride up and give you a hand !

Every scraped knuckle is another learning opportinity !  :745:

Yeah, I finally figured it all out and got the support brackets installed.

I did remove the upper engine support bolts (one at a time) and flipped them around fo reinstall with the nuts to the outside now (I guess the right side was a required kit replacement, eh).  Also, I put lock-washers on before the bolts, which by friction alone made it easy to tighten the nuts down.

I'm onto the Power Distribution Module, air horn, , GPS wiring, Cellphone charger wiring, now.   Once done with those, then the BIKE CAM system, Alarm system, AUX and accent lights.

Well, if I knew you'd come help me in this "Liverpool", I'd have sent my jet to get you - FIRST CLASS!   It's hard to get good help around here some times, eh!  I had to use a bungee cord to support the ratchet wrench with two extension on it, for removing the upper right hand engine bolt, whilst I reach up under the bike to work the handle by myself, and a ratchet wrench on the other side nest to me.  Stupid cats just watched me and laughed!

Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Online Novocastrian

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Tynemouth
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
I know this might be reviving an old thread but this particular description of fairing removal had been invaluable to me...twice!  I haven't read all the replies but the one thing that differed in my case is the "scrivets" holding the bottom front edge of the fairing together weren't scrivets with cross heads. They were something else. A sort of expanding plug activated by pushing in the centre pin. Not sure how they should be removed properly but I just pulled on the head with pincers and out they came. Hopefully photo attached.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 04:42:55 PM by Novocastrian »
Ken Hastie
TTSE, a handful of BSAs and an MGB

Online redcap0006

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2019, 06:05:24 PM »
Went through the process, Novocastrian, twice in fact.  Definitely look different to what I encountered when doing the same job
 :028:

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
Those are fairly common automotive trim panel clips -
commonly used by Ford, Audi, VW, Land Rover etc,
where the central pin is pushed inwards to expand the plug part and secure it in the hole,
giving a neater flush looking finish on the head of the fixing.

They are removed by either pushing the pin all the way inwards, ( then trying to find and retrieve it ! ),
or fitting a new piece,  or can be pushed out if the other end of the pin is accessible - as on the Trophy.

I suspect these have been used by a previous owner ( or "mechanic" )
after mangling the original "scrivets" which is very easy to do !

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline HACKLE

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: Trafalgar
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2019, 11:34:32 PM »
I did away with those darn plastic front lower fairing attachment bits. Replace with small allan head bolt and lock nut. So much easier to get off and put back on.  :169: :169:
HACKLE     I'm too young to be this old.

FarRider  #379

IBA Member  #58060